Menu

What is a good book for "ME" to read about American History?

Tina in WA

I am teaching a co-op class using All American History Vol. 1 in the fall. I know a little bit about American History, but would love to know more so I feel like I have a little more background on the subject.

Can you please recommend a American History book for me to read that covers Exploration through 1840.

I would like it to be a non dry book if possible. Even kids books are ok with me. :)

Thanks so much for any suggestions you can give me. :)

~Tina

America: The Last Best Hope Volumes 1 and 2. Each highlights the most important events and people of United States History, and his writing is not dry at all. These were a good overview and review for me before starting American History with my kids in the fall.

Here is the Amazon link to see more about them:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-2287821-0307012?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22last+best+hope%22+bennett

Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone! I am so blessed to have your help. :) I can't express how much this means to me. Thank you so much.

I will see what the library has that I could check out. And the others I may just have to use my 20% off at B&N. :)

Again, thank you! :)

~Tina

Paul Johnsons book is not available at my library, but the others are. YEAH! :)

In your (all the recommended it) opinion, is this a book worth purchasing for my own library?

If you're going to read Zinn and The Story of US, you'll need something to balance them out. :blink: See if they have A Patriot's History of the United States; that is another good one.

About The Story of US; I am thinking it was meant to say "The History of US". Am I correct? I don't "think" I will be using the Hakim books, but I know I have one of them here and I may look at it a bit though.

So is the Zinn book more along the lines of Hakim's philosophy?

I did reserve A Patriot's History of the United States at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

I figure when I get these books that I will sit down and see which ones would be the best reads for my learning/reading style. I did see that some of the recommended books above are available as sound recordings, so I reserved those too. :) I like to listen to tapes while I am driving so this might be a good fit for me. :)

Hi Tina.... I have Johnson's book and its worth the purchase. I found it at Goodwill... and have been reading it since the end of TOG year 2. This is the same book Mr. Mitchell used in co-op that first year.....

Its not a light read, nor one you can read quickly. Its a pretty thick book. We also read Hakim's books..... Its all very interesting....

I'll call ya in a minute... I also have the teaching company dvds I can lend you... but will need them back before we start school... mid August.