Menu

Books for every continent...

Dd has an assignment for middle school (she's in ps) to read a book that takes place in each continent. She's already done North America and Europe. I would like some suggestions for the rest. She's a strong reader and in 7th grade/13 years old. We're fine with just about everything, but she is very sensitive to any animal violence. Thanks!

Do they need to be separate books or can one book cover multiple continents?

I'm asking because I read Visit Sunny Chernobyl earlier this year & it was interesting & thought-provoking. Even though it's an adult book (vs. a YA book), I think it's fine for YA readers. Pink Boots and a Machete also might be a fun read for her, mostly taking place in Africa, though there are parts in South America too. Swimming to Antarctica also takes place around the world, but the ultimate goal (and info) is in Antarctica.

Into Thin Air might be a good selection for Asia.

Huh, you'd think I could come up with one set in Australia. I've heard good things about this book - http://www.amazon.com/Does-Head-Look-Big-This/dp/043992233X/ref=cm_lmf_tit_10

For South America I'd look for a biography of Che.

Asia - Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution by Ji-li Jiang or maybe a good manga such as Fruits Basket (yes, plural).

Here is a good site - http://www.wcl.govt.nz/blogs/teens/index.php/book-lists/books-from-around-the-world/ though some of the books suggested I wouldn't call YA.

Here are a ton of suggestions for Africa - http://africa.wisc.edu/?page_id=885

Anyone read Picnic at Hanging Rock? It looks like something my dd would be interested in since she loves mysteries, and it would cover Australia.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! She's enjoying looking them all up and wants to read many of them even if not for the assignment.

Anyone read Picnic at Hanging Rock? It looks like something my dd would be interested in since she loves mysteries, and it would cover Australia.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! She's enjoying looking them all up and wants to read many of them even if not for the assignment.

Some of us on the weekly book thread recently read Picnic at Hanging Rock. (You may want to search for the book title to see some of the posts about it.) She might enjoy it (though a part or two was a bit creepy, imo). Though it's quite mysterious, it's not a typical mystery (a la Agatha Christie or something like a Nancy Drew book). I had ordered a copy of the illustrated edition & I'm glad I did. The comments I wrote about the book (on Goodreads) were, "I can see how this book has spawned theories of being true, of hauntings at Hanging Rock, etc.... There is quite a bit of ambiguity in this book (more realistic than a neatly wrapped-up plotline), leaving me to wonder what really happened. I enjoyed the ambiance of places & people from a time & place about which I know little." You should read the Wikipedia entry about it to see if you think it would be something she would like. There was apparently a movie made too, but I've never seen the movie.

If she enjoys mysteries, has she read the Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? They are fantastic & fun. (They wouldn't work for her assignment, though, as they're set in England & she's already read her European book....)

Huh, you'd think I could come up with one set in Australia. I've heard good things about this book - http://www.amazon.co...f=cm_lmf_tit_10

It's important as the beginning of a genre, I think, but it's horrible teen lit.

Definitely better quality, but as Stacia said, you should check it out first. If you pick this, I can send her a postcard. :) (Yours will be on the way soon, Stacia!)