Menu

The library messed up my educator card!

thescrappyhomeschooler

Waaahh! I returned a book on CD with one one of the CDs missing, so they had put a hold on my card. I brought the CD back, and they supposedly released the hold. But now, I'm only allowed to check out 50 items like a regular card, instead of the 150 items for the educator card.

But what is worse- They ERASED MY SAVED LISTS!!!! I had 3 years worth of books for SOTW additional reading saved. It's all gone. :willy_nilly: :( :angry: :crying: All that work. Now I have to do it all over again.

I would go in and check on getting the educator status fixed. I would assume it to just be some kind of clerical error. I'd just nicely tell the librarian that there had been a hold while you looked for a misplaced CD, and when the hold was removed, the card reinstated to a general membership, and not the one you're supposed to have. Just be ready to show them whatever you had to show when you first got the card.

Not so sure about getting those lists back though...that stinks!

I would go in and check on getting the educator status fixed. I would assume it to just be some kind of clerical error. I'd just nicely tell the librarian that there had been a hold while you looked for a misplaced CD, and when the hold was removed, the card reinstated to a general membership, and not the one you're supposed to have. Just be ready to show them whatever you had to show when you first got the card.

Not so sure about getting those lists back though...that stinks!

I plan to do this the next time I go back. That should be an easy fix, but the lists . . . that is killing me!

You can check out 50 items as a regular patron? Wow! We only get 20.

Yep. 50 per card, so the kids and I each have a regular card, and I have my educator card, so we normally can check out up to 300 items. We normally hover around 75-100 items, though, for the household. We have a mini granny cart that we fill up with books every time we go. I love our library system, even despite the erasure of the lists!

I don't NEED 300 books at a time, but you know those fantasy scenes in movies, where the people roll around in a big pile of money? I have the fantasy of getting out all 300 books and rolling around in the pile. :p

My kids still love picture books, so before we read from our poetry anthology and our chapter book, the each pick out 2-4 picture books each night before bed. Then we all snuggle on the couch and I read aloud to them. I usually go to the library every 2-3 weeks, so it's not unusual for us to have over 50 picture books out at a time, in addition to books on CD, books for history and science, my books, DVDs. It adds up quickly.

Jealous! Our library only allows kids under 18 to check out 1 book at a time. Adult cards have a 50 book limit. I seem to hit that far more often that one might think, especially when they are SLOW about checking one set back in as we are trying to check another set out.

Jealous! Our library only allows kids under 18 to check out 1 book at a time. Adult cards have a 50 book limit. I seem to hit that far more often that one might think, especially when they are SLOW about checking one set back in as we are trying to check another set out.

One book? The people who tend to read short books get one at a time? That seems like a failure of imagination.

One book? The people who tend to read short books get one at a time? That seems like a failure of imagination.

:iagree: My 5 year old dd still chooses board books at our library, because they are the most accessible books to her and instead of being shelved, they are in big tubs. She can immediately see the fronts of the books. So I always choose regular picture books for her and she comes home with 5 - 10 board books. I just can't even imagine a one book limit!!! How unfair to the little ones!

OP, have you talked to the library about your erased lists? Maybe there is some way to get them back???

Why would you need 300 books when you have two kids? I mean, they are elementary age so I can see needing a lot of books but not 150 per kid at a time.

We have over 200 books checked out, over 250 if you count DH. We look at it as doing our part to help the library system cull fewer books by adding to the collective shelf space, at least that's what one of the librarians told me when i asked about the etiquette of keeping so many books out. :D We don't keep them for the heck of it though, they go back when we're done with them.