Menu

Sewing machine for about 100 bucks, where to shop/brand/tips?

Bang!Zoom!

Daughter is really interested in getting a sewing machine for her big present.

Can you guys help me? What stores should I look at, any brands you would recommend?

If she really sticks with it, we could (in the future) - upgrade and develop skills, etc., but for a first machine and not really knowing if this is going to hold..I don't want to throw a lot into it.

I just want to walk in, find it, and walk out without it being a huge production.

What accessories/materials should I be thinking about?

Any thoughts?

In that price range, stick with a brother if you are going new. I got one at costco that has been great for my DD. If she is younger, I highly recomend one with a speed adjustment button. It slows the machine down so it is not so intimidating to learn. You can find a brother at most stores, Walmart, Target, amazon, costco...

If you go for a used machine a Janome might be found in your price range.

Accessories: extra sewing needles, thread, pins and pincushion, cutting mat and rotary cutter, good fabric scissors, measuring tape, gauge, seam ripper, washout fabric marking pencils, something to keep all this in, and a gift card for fabric and a pattern and notions to make something.

I have had good luck with basic Singer machines. Dd has one that she took to a quilting class where everyone had far nicer machines. Everyone, including dd, was shocked to discover that her machine could do things like free quilting well.

Joann's frequently have them for sale. I am on the email list and watch the great deals go by. We are in the UK.

There are a bazillion old threads on this topic.

My advice is to find a dealer who carries used machines. You'll get much more for your money.

If you choose right, this machine could last her the next 20-30 years, and you won't have spent any more than for a new low-end machine.

I am a fan of old Singers from the '70's and before. Those machines were made to last a woman's lifetime and longer. Many are out there, and they are not expensive.

Whatever you choose, do not buy it without sewing with it, and without sewing with machines several notches up the price line, so you understand what you are and are not getting for your money.

In that price range, stick with a brother if you are going new. I got one at costco that has been great for my DD. If she is younger, I highly recomend one with a speed adjustment button. It slows the machine down so it is not so intimidating to learn. You can find a brother at most stores, Walmart, Target, amazon, costco...

If you go for a used machine a Janome might be found in your price range.

Accessories: extra sewing needles, thread, pins and pincushion, cutting mat and rotary cutter, good fabric scissors, measuring tape, gauge, seam ripper, washout fabric marking pencils, something to keep all this in, and a gift card for fabric and a pattern and notions to make something.

:iagree:

Wow, that's weird. I picked out a Brother for dd this Christmas, then changed to a Janome. LOL.

Anyway I looked at tons of reviews and the one I liked was the Brother XL2600I (was $150, now $77 on amazon). (I ended up going with the Janome Jem Gold 660 (was $399, now $199)

I'd consider a used Pfaff sewing machine, if you can find one. You could go to a reputable Pfaff dealer and try them out. However, be prepared for quite a bit of sales pressure, and an invitation to accept their generous payment plan on a nice, new computerized model. :)

Technically, you could also likely find one on Craigslist, etc . . . because some sewing machines are like exercise equipment--not used very frequently by their owners. I think shipping would be high from eBay. Maybe you could ask around on Facebook or your local homeschool email list for someone who wants to sell theirs.

The main thing is that a cheap machine usually doesn't hold the thread tension very well . . . which will increase the seamstress' tension. :scared: The stitches are balanced and even, and the work looks terrible.

But this is a great idea for Christmas. Maybe she would consider chipping in her other Christmas money or savings, to get a bit nicer model.

I spent some time tonight trying to find a dealer, surfed eBay- yadda yadda...

There's one that's a touch out of budget called the Brother cs6000i - retails about 149 - watched some videos on it, read a lot of reviews from all over the place.

I hit on this "oiling" issue - and it costs 80 bucks to service a machine, some folks say that the brother needs oiling tech, take it to the shop, others say "nope, not an issue".

Biggest drawbacks to it I'm finding are materials it's made of. Not steel, made of plastic, some of the gear gizzard insides are literal styrofoam. I dunno, this seems to be the best one for what she needs it seemed.

There is a quilter group in the area, I'm going to drop some notes there and see if anyone has a used something in their basement or something like that maybe.

I've only ever had cheap machines. For my use, they do just fine. I make about 3-4 costumes a year, plus some odds and ends and household sewing. Every other year I make a batch of warm pjs for my kids. My first machine was a Simplicity. It lasted 15 years. My current one is a EuroPro. It's been going for 8 years and works great. 90% of what I sew is a straight or zigzag stitch.

Ikea now carries sewing machines. It might be worth reading their reviews.