Menu

French Press?

SJ.

I also love my Bodum!! Got mine on Amazon, too. If you are are big coffee drinker, go for the biggest size possible. Small ones empty fast, IMO. Also, you might want to get an insulated carafe to pour the coffee into once it has steeped. It will get too strong if you leave it sitting in the French press all morning!

Bodum is a good brand to look at. DH has had http://www.amazon.co...ag=stylefind-20 for a couple of years and loves it.

I also love my Bodum!! Got mine on Amazon, too. If you are are big coffee drinker, go for the biggest size possible. Small ones empty fast, IMO. Also, you might want to get an insulated carafe to pour the coffee into once it has steeped. It will get too strong if you leave it sitting in the French press all morning!

Thanks for the suggestions and the tip about needing a carafe!

I am particularly fond of the glass, metal, and black handled "Chambord" design (in recent decades sold under the Bodum brand name). I think it is the perfect mix of fuctionality, efficiency, and French elegance. It, to my taste, is esthetically pleasing to use every time, and I've used mine almost daily for over thirty years.

That said, it is hard to imagine a French Press of any design won't work for you. Bodum makes some newfangled looking modern things. I sincerely doubt the coffee tastes different, so choose a design that suits your taste.

Do be aware that the size "in cups" is very unrealistic. A 12 cup model does not make 96 oz of coffee. Not close. So ponder your size decision.

This other big consideration is the carafe. There are ones with "plastic" carafes. While these are not as likely to break, I don't like the idea of pouring boiling water into plastic. A glass carafe may eventually break. The good thing about Bodums is one can purchase a replacement carafe without replacing the good parts.

Bill (who is enjoying a cup of French Press as we speak)

Oops, forgot I have another question - Dh is the only one in the house who drinks coffee and usually just a couple cups a day in the morning. What size should I get? If I bought one that makes 12 cups can he make 4 cups in it or do you have to make 12 cups?

Oops, forgot I have another question - Dh is the only one in the house who drinks coffee and usually just a couple cups a day in the morning. What size should I get? If I bought one that makes 12 cups can he make 4 cups in it or do you have to make 12 cups?

You can make 4 "cups" (I believe they are figuring a "cup" as 6 oz) in a 12 "cup" carafe. The 12 cup size is very handy if you have guests, the only danger is that individual coffee consumption may creep up. The next size down is self-limiting, but I prefer the 12.

Bill

I have used regular glass French presses for years and am fine with them. It's nice to have a small one that makes just two cups, and I also like having a couple larger ones for parties.

My favorite, by far, is a stainless steel thermal French press. It's double-walled for insulation. My coffee stays hot. They are more expensive, but they are also virtually indestructible.

I have used regular glass French presses for years and am fine with them. It's nice to have a small one that makes just two cups, and I also like having a couple larger ones for parties.

My favorite, by far, is a stainless steel thermal French press. It's double-walled for insulation. My coffee stays hot. They are more expensive, but they are also virtually indestructible.

To play Devil's Advocate, having stainless steel walls deprives one of the esthetic joy of watching the grounds release their precious brown-black fluid.

If I were concerned about keeping the coffee hot (which, not being timid in my consumption rate, I am not) I would prefer to express the coffee into a separate thermos rather than letting it steep in the grounds (and over extract).

But that's just me :D

Bill

I've got a Bodum which I love(d), but I retired it to occasional use last year when I got an Aeropress for Christmas, which I love: coffee's just as good, but clean-up's a cinch now. It's not the best if your DH wants to make several cups of coffee, but if just drinks one mug worth (even a good-sized mug), the Aeropress is the way to go.

But again, for FP, my Bodum served me well.

I have one and love it. It is almost 20 years old, and I am sure I bought it because it was cheap. I have no idea what brand it is.

My mom liked it so much that she bought one and broke it..and broke the second one..and broke the third one. I think that was all in two months. I bought her a stainless steel one from William Sonoma for her birthday. It cost a fortune but she loves it and she still has it. Plus, she is my mama so she is worth it!