Menu

MCT Literature

SunshineMom

I bought the Search trilogy, but decided to wait awhile to use it. Miss P is using WWS, and I want to wait till we have completed the Literary Analysis section before I give her any more large writing about books assignments. I think she'll get much more out of it in a few months.

I wish you could just buy the TG - I already have copies of most of the books, and while the little insets are cool, they aren't necessary. The TG is awesome, though, although as WendyK has said in the past, I'd like to think I could implement it on my own with other books, after seeing how. It is nice to have the questions right there at your fingertips, though.

What I like about the TG: it has a section on how to read literature - think How to Read a Book or WEM, but super condensed. It has vocab for each book, to make sure your student knows before they start reading. And it has all kinds of interesting activities and assessments for each book - discussion questions, activities, quote quizzes, etc. It has paper ideas. It really has a lot of information to help you delve more deeply into the books, and get a lot out of them, without being scripted or stilted.

It doesn't have any of the typical "reading comprehension" type activities - no end of chapter quizzes, no short answers or fill in the blanks or multiple choice questions. It is a guide to reading the book, talking about the book, and writing about the book. I think it looks really great.

Sounds like most find the TG better than the actual program but yet can't buy the TG separately. Can anyone suggest a comparable TG? I am thinking ahead on this. I am wanting something for the summer months since we are all set for literature now. I was hoping I could get an easy, "sure fit" with MCT. I've read through Classics in the Classroom (more than a year ago), maybe I should dig this out again for more guidance.

Sounds like most find the TG better than the actual program but yet can't buy the TG separately. Can anyone suggest a comparable TG? I am thinking ahead on this. I am wanting something for the summer months since we are all set for literature now. I was hoping I could get an easy, "sure fit" with MCT. I've read through Classics in the Classroom (more than a year ago), maybe I should dig this out again for more guidance.

I have series one and two. I really like the way that MCT set it up. I've not been too impressed with other programs, but this seems to be perfect for the way my oldest and 3rd son think. I used series one with my gifted 6th grader last year (it was too easy for him), he had already read each of the books, but enjoyed actually analizing the book after reading. This year he is reading series two (a better fit). He is three quarters through The Time Machine and is enjoying the lighter read. My accelerated 2nd & asperger 5th graders are doing the first series this year. My 5th grader does not really think in a socratic manner. It has been helpful in getting him to stretch, yet gentle enough not to frustrate him.

I think series one is best done with bright 2nd-3rd or average 4th-5th graders (or if lit. just isn't their thing). Series 2 is good for 5th-8th graders. Also I like the fact that I'll be able to use these books with all four of my children. I think this would be a great summer program.

I was looking at the MCT Lit as well. Does the first level (Alice, Peter, Mole) include the three novels when you buy the "Alice, Peter and Mole: Set with Parent Manual"? I'm thinking it's just the maual, but the other trilogies include the novels with the manual for the same price. Pardon my ignorance. :)

No that includes the novels. It seems one cannot buy the TM alone. You can buy the annotated books alone though.

I mean for $40 it better. The TM is this tiny little book.

Thanks. I wondered since the from the manual sample table of contents was only around 70 pages.

I thought the same about it including the books or not for $40. I do have many copies of Peter Pan and one of Wind and the Willows, but no unabridged version of Alice - not a total loss :)

Thanks again