Menu

For those of you who use HOD

Juliegmom

Do you purchase additional books or utilize the library to supplement what your child is learning? It has been a challenge for us to use the "book basket" for My Father's World because we live overseas. I'm drawn to literature-based curriculum, but need something that includes all the books I need while providing hands on activities as well. Could HOD be what I'm looking for?

When I used HOD, I never felt the need to supplement, although some feel that the science is to light and added their own. If you think you might want extra books, you can always add the extension package. It truly includes everything you need. It does not have a book basket like MFW (although I always felt that MFW was doable w/o the book basket). In LHFHG (or was it Beyond) it does have an alternative booklist in the back.

I buy all of the books for each guide and do not use the library at all. All the books that are needed are included in the packages.

This is what I do. I don't have time to utilize the library. Also I'm pretty sure my late fines at the library would cost more than just buying the books outright!

Elise in NC

Idea: Why couldn't you just buy the books to use in lieu of Book Basket w/ MFW? If BB is the main problem you're having by living overseas, that would be MFW's recommendation as well, I think. (MFW author and family lived overseas for 8 years themselves.) She's asterisked some of the titles on the BB list as recommendations for purchase for this very reason. Likewise, you could also buy the books you like from HOD, SL or elsewhere and just have those on your shelf to use with MFW.

Idea: Why couldn't you just buy the books to use in lieu of Book Basket w/ MFW? If BB is the main problem you're having by living overseas, that would be MFW's recommendation as well, I think. (MFW author and family lived overseas for 8 years themselves.) She's asterisked some of the titles on the BB list as recommendations for purchase for this very reason. Likewise, you could also buy the books you like from HOD, SL or elsewhere and just have those on your shelf to use with MFW.

This is what I did when I used MFW K and 1st. I just purchased all the book basket books from Amazon.I loved having it all and I didn't have to pay for so many fees at the library. If you have a Half Price Book store that would be another option.

I don't plan to use the science for HOD or MFW. I looks as though I can get all the books I need for bible and history through HOD at a more reasonable price than what it would cost me to purchase book basket books for MFW. It seems that the best deal with MFW is to buy their packages, but the savings is lost once you start pricing items individually (which is what I would need to do since all their packages include science that I don't plan to use.) It is also a lot cheaper for us to have most of our curriculum come in one shipment. I'd love to be able to buy used curriculum, but the savings diminish and it can be a lot of work for our familiy members in the states to receive multiple shipments and then resend them to us. A

ny more thoughts out there ? I truly appreciate all your comments and help! Can anyone comment on the rigor of HOD or MFW? o

We also live overseas, and I just bought some of the book basket books from MFW's lists, and we're going to make one big shipment for several years at once. We knew we wanted a nice library for our children and want them to be readers, so I figured I would be buying several books with any curriculum (no library here). I found many of my books cheaper through SL or TOG or MFW lists on this for sale forum, or the MFW yahoo for sale group, which sometimes sells book basket sets. I feel that I got the best bang for my buck this way, unless I chose simply to not buy many books. I also invested in Yesterday's Classics e-book set when they were on sale, and there's also heritage-history.com for other e-books.