Menu

OK, I have to ask. What makes Le Creuset so great?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I have decent-quality stainless steel cookware that I've cooked pretty much everything in. It all turns out fine. I don't generally burn things (unless I walk away) or find that they cook oddly. The right amount of moisture stays in the food. I don't have cool spots, and I don't have too much of a sticking problem if I use the right temps/oils/techniques. They're not super heavy like the LC pieces I've handled, I don't have to worry about the enamel, and I can throw everything in the dishwasher. So what could Le Creuset do for me that my stainless can't already do? What am I missing out on that I don't even know I'm missing?

(There's a Le Creuset outlet nearby, so I could possibly be convinced that I'm woefully in need here.)

I LOVE my Le Creuset. I have a giant oval roaster and a smaller round one. There is an outlet a ways from here too. I've been there. I got some itty bitty single serve things.

The thing I love is it is easier on the sticking problem (and if you don't have that already you are in for a bonus.....I have a love/hate with stainless), and you can put it in the oven. I love my All Clad stainless, but certain things I do like a more non stick surface

Oh and also if I'm short on time I'll mix a no kneed bread batter night before. Next day I can bake it in a preheated dutch oven and it's like the yummiest hearth bread.

I had a bad experience in culinary school. LOL

Well the first hing I ever made in it was horrible. It was chicken breasts dusted with flour for chicken with morel mushrooms. I didn't wipe the flour from the first batch frying and I set off the smoke alarm. That was some years ago.

I personally cannot stand stuff like Le Creuset. It just burns everything. Maybe it's the way I cook. LOL

:lol:

I LOVE my Le Creuset. I have a giant oval roaster and a smaller round one. There is an outlet a ways from here too. I've been there. I got some itty bitty single serve things.

The thing I love is it is easier on the sticking problem (and if you don't have that already you are in for a bonus.....I have a love/hate with stainless), and you can put it in the oven. I love my All Clad stainless, but certain things I do like a more non stick surface

So do you mean that the enameled (inside) LC tends to stick less? Or do you mean the raw cast-iron sticks less?

I wish I could borrow one for a few weeks to see what the difference was.

:lol:

So do you mean that the enameled (inside) LC tends to stick less? Or do you mean the raw cast-iron sticks less?

I wish I could borrow one for a few weeks to see what the difference was.

Yes, I think it is far less stick prone. And it is such even heat. You can sear, then add your stuff and bake. They are very versitile.

hmmm.... I have a LC pot. We affectionately call it The Doom Pot because it's so heavy. I spent the first two years owning it worried one of the kids would break their foot if they dropped it. I find it to be more versatile than cast iron. I can cook bread in it (in the oven) and it's great for sauteing and soups. It's lasting longer than my other pots. But I still prefer stainless steel especially for baking.

Oh and also if I'm short on time I'll mix a no kneed bread batter night before. Next day I can bake it in a preheated dutch oven and it's like the yummiest hearth bread.

OK, off-topic, but would you share a recipe that you like? I'd love to be able to whip something up quickly like that, and I have a stainless steel pot that would go right in the oven. I'm curious to see how the bread would turn out!

I won't lie, though, one of the major appeals of the LC pieces are the colors. The Caribbean and Cobalt are just gorgeous.

OK, off-topic, but would you share a recipe that you like? I'd love to be able to whip something up quickly like that, and I have a stainless steel pot that would go right in the oven. I'm curious to see how the bread would turn out!

I won't lie, though, one of the major appeals of the LC pieces are the colors. The Caribbean and Cobalt are just gorgeous.

Ok I bake with a starter and that gives more developed flavor, but the basic recipe is basically the same just with dry yeast. I would write out a detailed recipe and method but the following website is by far the most helpful.

Breatopia

The video is so helpful and shows how to mix, and shape the loaf. It is awesome bread.

ETA: In the video he bakes in a la cloche. In place of that I use the dutch oven. I just don't need one more thing that has one purpose

I like pieces like this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/le-creuset-9-quart-doufeu/?pkey=cle-creuset-exclusive

And this

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/le-creuset-heritage-chefs-oven/?pkey=cle-creuset-exclusive

I use them often for dishes (such as beef stew or chicken marsala) that require browning the meat or sauteeing vegetables, bringing sauce to a simmer, then transferring the dish to the oven for a long cooking time.

They are very heavy, but my food is always very juicy and tender, and cleanup is a breeze.

Another favorite is the Precision Pour Saucepan like the one in this set:

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_Online-Only-5-Piece-Set---Was-$450_10151_-1_20002_59140_10049

Melting chocolate and butter, making caramel, etc. is a delight with a pan like this. No burning or scorching, and easy cleanup.

I have the multifunction pan set and I never use either piece.

I highly recommend buying a couple of pieces you would use often. I would not want to use any of these to heat up vegetables or canned soups, for example.

I also recommend finding an outlet and getting on their mailing list. They will let you use ther discounts on top of the discounted seconds pieces. You can always find a piece that you would not be able to determine why they made it a second. They have very high quality control standards.

I have All Clad. I find it pretty non-stick, but do have to use slightly lower heat than cheaper pans to achieve this. The heating is completely even, on the sides as well as from the bottom, and I really like that. I throw it into the dishwasher. And it's not light but it's not too heavy to handle, so I like using it better than LC. I would never buy the stockpot, though. THAT would be too heavy. I have a multipot for that size, and use a flame tamer under it to distribute the heat more evenly in a long cooking process. Several of my AC pans have short handles and I bake in those. Love my All Clad!

I have All Clad. I find it pretty non-stick, but do have to use slightly lower heat than cheaper pans to achieve this. The heating is completely even, on the sides as well as from the bottom, and I really like that. I throw it into the dishwasher. And it's not light but it's not too heavy to handle, so I like using it better than LC. I would never buy the stockpot, though. THAT would be too heavy. I have a multipot for that size, and use a flame tamer under it to distribute the heat more evenly in a long cooking process. Several of my AC pans have short handles and I bake in those. Love my All Clad!

I have both enameled cast iron (Le Creuset and others) and All Clad, and Heavy Copper lined with Stainless (Bourgeat).

Where enameled cast iron really shine is in low and slow cooking like stewing/braising or making beans or soups. While slightly slower getting to temp that the All Clad, enameled cast iron is great at holding a very even temperature.

Bill

I think you have to be a person who loves slow cooking, either in the oven or on the stovetop. It makes the best roasts, casseroles, soups and stews. You need to be cooking with liquid so it doesn't burn. I love my cast iron skillet, but LC enamel doesn't need to be seasoned and I find that slow cooking with liquid was tough on my Lodge dutch oven. It needed to be reseasoned too often.

I think you have to be a person who loves slow cooking, either in the oven or on the stovetop. It makes the best roasts, casseroles, soups and stews. You need to be cooking with liquid so it doesn't burn. I love my cast iron skillet, but LC enamel doesn't need to be seasoned and I find that slow cooking with liquid was tough on my Lodge dutch oven. It needed to be reseasoned too often.

:iagree:

Bill

The big pieces are too heavy for my aging wrists, but I have a medium sized one that makes the BEST rice. I heat the pan up, pop in my rice and the right amount of boiling water (you could boil in the pot then add rice .... I have an electric kettle that fires up quickly). Then I lower the heat to 1, cover and just leave it. Perfect, perfect perfect, in a way All Clad and a rice cooker has never made it. I think it is the gentle warm coming from all sides, so evenly, and the heavy lid.

I've had the pot for 23 years, and other than not scraping it with a metal spoon (use bamboo or plastic rice paddle), I have not taken special care of it. It looks great.