Menu

UTI?

Stayseeliz

I'm pretty sure I have a UTI. My regular dr is impossible to get into and they won't call in a script without seeing you. I see a new GYN Thursday but of course they don't know me at all so there is no way I'm getting a script from there. Is it safe to wait until Thursday to do something about this? Is there something I can do at home? I am uncomfortable but not miserable. I know cranberry juice helps but I'm hypoglycemic and I can't handle the sugar in the juice. Any other ideas?

Guest inoubliable

Lots and lots of water. Tylenol for pain, if it gets that bad. There used to be a pill by Azo available at some drugstores. It was supposed to help with UTI-specific pain until you could get to a doctor and get a script. Might want to check into that.

There is an over the counter UTI pain reliever (I found it at either RiteAid or Walgreens-----it was the store version). It works so quickly if you do have a UTI *but* you're supposed to take it after you have your urine tested. I had to capture a sample before taking the pain reliever----the doctor told me to do this as it was late in the evening when the pain got really bad.

I second the idea of going to a walk-in clinic. UTIs can get significantly more painful in a short amount of time. Last spring, i went from, oh no I think I have a UTI to screaming in pain within four hours. It would be terrible to wake up like that in the middle of the night.

I agree with previous poster- if you really have a UTI, I would go in somewhere, anywhere to get some antibiotics. My first ever UTI, I started having to pee a lot at 9pm by 12am I was crying in pain and peeing lots of blood. It was torture waiting for the walk-in clinic to open. It got so bad so fast!

In the meantime, try the cranberry pills. Hope you start feeling better soon!

There are also AZO test strips you can buy at CVS and the like so that you can test your own urine.

Did you call your dr.'s office and explain that you think you have a uti? If you did, it's pretty irresponsible of them to not agree to see you. A uti can quickly become a full blown bladder or kidney infection.

I would go to walk in or urgent care. I experience utis relatively frequently and the pain can be horrendous. They can give you a script for antibiotics and a numbing agent.

:grouphug:

I agree with previous poster- if you really have a UTI, I would go in somewhere, anywhere to get some antibiotics. My first ever UTI, I started having to pee a lot at 9pm by 12am I was crying in pain and peeing lots of blood. It was torture waiting for the walk-in clinic to open. It got so bad so fast!

In the meantime, try the cranberry pills. Hope you start feeling better soon!

:iagree: I've had exactly the same thing happen. A bit of burning in the morning, peeing blood by lunch. Find a walk in clinic.

Getting treatment as soon as possible is a good idea. Remember, bacteria can move up hill or against the flow of urine. The infection can move up to the kidneys, and that would be a very serious situation. Alternative treatment would be increased water intake, cranberry juice or pills ( you can find an unsweetened cranberry concentrate liquid in health food stores ), increased vitamin C, herbal treatment can be Uva Ursi tea and other herbal teas. Oh, forgot, if you save silks from corn on the cob, dry it and save in a dry jar, you can put it in tea and it will help with bladder infections. Also, use the Uva Ursi tea separately from vit c or other acid foods by at least 2 hours on either side. Good luck and good comfort. Sorry you are in such pain.