Menu

Has anyone learned to play the violin as an adult?

My youngest dd started taking lessons a few months ago. My older dd has been learning at home but she goes to the lessons with us and the teacher has taken some time during younger dd's lesson to work with her. If you have played stringed instruments before it wouldn't be too hard to learn but it's important to learn how to hold the violin correctly and to learn different bowing techniques. I play around on my older dd's violin. I think I need to get one too!

I bought a violin for myself when my son started taking lessons. I was doing very well with it for a while but then he decided he didn't want me to practice with him any more because it make his practice time take longer. I was still having to help him with his practice time at that time so I ended up quitting because I didn't want to spend his time plus my time on practice. He no longer really needs my help during his practice so I really should pick it back up and start again.

I think if you are going to your child's lessons with him/her you can pick up the majority of what you need. You still might need a lesson here and there (maybe once a month or every other month). The thing that has really put a damper on how well I was doing was that I was just at that point where I really needed to learn to read the music because the books were not providing as many helps. If you already know how to read music, you will be ahead of the game by a long shot.

I still have my violin and I don't have to feel guilty about having bought it because I know my sons will eventually grow into it. So even if I don't start up again, he will use it. But I would really like to start again because I love the sound of it and it really is a joy to play, except that it was making me have muscle contractions in my upper back. Other than that, it was lovely. Good luck!

I started as an adult. I taught myself for awhile, then did lessons for awhile. A good teacher can be a real benefit. The trick is finding a good one. There are a lot out there that don't accomplish much.

Try to practice every day. It takes a long time for the muscles to build up to the point where you can actually play and have it sound good.

I started taking lessons when I was 42, and took for about 8 years. It was hard work, but very satisfying. Violin takes a long time and lots of practice to start sounding good. I had a piano background, so that helped. I could not have learned near as much on my own as I did with a good teacher, and having a lesson to prepare is motivation to practice, as well. I am glad I did it. At first, some of my family members made fun of me (I did sound bad), but I told them they should be proud of me for trying to learn something new, and should be encouraging me! They immediately stopped the teasing, and I also made progress. I couldn't afford hour-long lessons most of the time, which I would have preferred, but still, lessons made a huge difference. I'll never be professional, but I can contribute as well as get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't be playing the same instrument as one of the kids -- this would be my own project although the goal would be to play along with the kids someday. My daughter used to play violin years ago but gave it up for guitar. I would be using the violin that has been sitting idle for the last few years. I play flute and can read music so at least I wouldn't be starting from zero. As a beginner I'm sure I will drive everyone crazy.

I started violin as an adult- I was about 20 years old and took lessons for maybe 3 years- there was a year break in there somewhere. I do think having a teacher is needed, it is really easy to learn to do things wrong and then your muscle memory will take over and it will be hard to correct later.