Menu

Need recommendations for Christmas stories

Familyties

I plan to enjoy the next few weeks before Christmas and read some good books/stories to my 5th grader and 1st grader. I will be reading to them together so I need something in between that both can comprehend and enjoy! Give me your favorites... Will consider biblical/inspirational stories as well!!

There are so many good ones! Off the top of my head, we enjoy: Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Polar Express, Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Jann Brett's 'twas the Night Before Christmas, The Tale of Three Trees (though we often read this at Easter now). Last year we loved following along with the Advent Storybook, but might be too young for your 5th grader. Of course the Nutcracker is always good too, especially if it's one with pretty illustrations, and followed by a movie or live performance of the ballet!

Enjoy :)

Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus

Twas The Night Before Christmas

The Birds' Christmas Carol

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Christmas Every Day

The Littlest Angel

Olive, The Other Reindeer

The one by Marcus Pfeister ....A Star on This Night? Une Etoile, Cette Nuit La.

The Little Match Girl

The Christmas Eve Visitor

The Life And Adventures of Santa Claus - L.Frank Baum

Eta: I just found a set of books that's pretty cool. It's "Santa Is Coming to (Your State)" and covers different landmarks he'd see. They have them for the UK, too.

We used to go to the library every week in December and gather all the Christmas books (picture books) our library box could hold. We read tons, so I can't really remember any titles. Some had great stories, some excellent photos, some were religious, some not. Sometimes we got the same story told by a different person! As the years went by, we tried to find favourite ones from previous years.

One that we bought, that is read everyday until Christmas day, is The House of Wooden Santas by Kevin Major.

I have a 5th grader and a young 2nd grader here. I'm reading through the 25 days of Christmas this year, so this is the list I've put together. My plan, for now, is at least one picture book a day and to work through the chapter books slowly over the 25 days. We are fairly secular HSers, though, so you might find this list lacking in the Biblical stories arena.

SHORT/PICTURE:

The Christmas Story (Spirin)

We Three Kings (Spirin)

The Polar Express

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Santa Mouse

Santa Mouse Where Are You?

Plum Pudding for Christmas

Christmas Day in the Morning

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree

A Christmas Memory

A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree

Great Joy

An Orange for Frankie

Christmas in the Trenches (McCutcheon)

The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree

The Story of Holly and Ivy

Christmas In The Country

Christmas Tapestry

Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story

Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury

The Twelve Days of Christmas (Ray)

CHAPTER:

A Christmas Carol

The Lion in the Box

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (on audiobook, since I don't think I can do the humor justice on my own!)

Letters From Father Christmas

HTH!

(Edited to add a few more that I just reserved at the library--there are so many good ones! Gennady Spirin is an incredible artist. I was glad to find the ones by her.)

Edited by Sweet Morning Air