Menu

Quilters (or possibly other crafters?)

I need a water soluble pen or pencil for some bags I'm about to quilt. Normally I kind of wing it, but I want these to look nice. They are both in really dark (black, brown) fabric, so it can't be that blue pen (that I actually have and hate). Chalk? What else is out there?

I recently went to a great workshop on handstitching. The teacher uses a normal mechanical pencil for all of her marking. You really can not see it after and my project is pale blue and dds is pink. She said on darks she occasionally has to use chalk. She also talked about washable markers as a possibility. The important thing with those was getting all the ink out. She blotted the fabic on top of a towel until all was gone. Whatever you mark with make sure you know if heat will set it before you iron.

I am in love with Clover's Chaco Liner. It does not brush off as easily as tailor's chalk but will wash off.

clover_chaco_liner-med.jpg

The product comes is several colors and is apparently refillable--although I have yet to attempt that.

I just finished quilting a tree skirt and stockings using the chaco marker. I used the blue on off white fabric. Some of it did not come off even after I resorted to washing it. Sigh.

I used a Mr clean sponge on the burgundy fabrics and that worked great.

I just finished quilting a tree skirt and stockings using the chaco marker. I used the blue on off white fabric. Some of it did not come off even after I resorted to washing it. Sigh.

I used a Mr clean sponge on the burgundy fabrics and that worked great.

Good to know. I have the Chaco markers in yellow and blue. I'll test before using.

Hmmm...I will check some of these suggestions out at Joann's today when we go. For the dark fabric, I don't think the Crayola markers would work, although that's something I will remember and test for the future. Thanks!