Menu

Need help from dog people!

I need reccomendations for heartworm preventatives. We're out of Sentinel and can't get anymore due to the shortage. My vet offers Heartgard, Trifexis, and ProHeart 6.

The reviews for ProHeart 6 scare me a bit since my dog has allergies and takes Atopica every other day. Trifexis seems relatively new and some of the things I've seen online bother me. I know Heartgard has been around a while but don't really know how effective it is or anything about side effects. I also really wanted to keep something with flea protection since my dog picks up a stray one here and there.

Is there something else I don't know about that is good? Which of the above would you/do you give your doggie? Thanks!

Trifexis, in a heartbeat. (I'm a certified vet tech). Love that stuff. The flea med is really effective. I would NOT NOT NOT do proheart. NOt in a million years. WAY too many side effects, AND it is really painful as far as injections go. No way. Heartgaurd is really safe, if you don't need that flea prevention, and dogs love the taste.

I wouldn't use Proheart 6. Never ever. I think I'd take a chance on my dogs getting heartworms first.

Any of the others should be fine, but I'd go with Heartgard. I've used it with one or more dogs for years w/o a problem. My very trusted vet also carries the generic Iverhart, which he says is as good a choice as Heartgard.

I personally don't care for the combo pills that take care of heartworms, intestinal worms and fleas. I worry that it's way too much "stuff" to dose the dog with at one time. Many years ago, before the combo pills were available, my vet always recommended NOT giving heartworm preventative and applying flea/tick preventative like Frontline on the same day. Instead, he recommended waiting at least a few days between each one because he thought it might be too much all at once. That advice is something that's always stuck with me, and made me leery of the super duper combo pills. Plus if a dog reacts you have no idea which component he's reacting to. The convenience simply isn't worth it to me.