Menu

We got the house!!! paint colors?

Barring something catastrophic with inspection on Monday, the house we wanted is ours. Whooohoool!!!

But we got it as is and are hiring some contractors to come in and finish it. Mainly it is just trim work and failing etc but we will have a painter. Right now the ain kitchen/living area is slate tile floors, brown grey and black granite countertops and grey walls.

The kitchen cabinets have black frames with distressed red doors, and the ceiling is painted a deep brownish red. The walls are a warm grey.

The cabinets need repainted, I am thinking of going with an espresso color.

I really don't know how to feel about the red ceiling. I don't hate it, but I'm worried about always having to coordinate with it, and by ditching the red in the cabinets it might feel disconnected. Plus won't painting the ceiling a normal white, won't it brighten the room?

Any thoughts on dark cabinets, colored ceilings, or other paint choices for large multipurpose rooms???

OK so if the trim on the doors and walls is white, do you think that faux ceiling beams, cabinets and fireplace mantle need to be painted all the same as the trim, or would white trim, espresso colored wood accents and greige/taupe walls not be too much? I think for sure the ceiling should not be red in that big of a room.

Plus I'd much rather have painters deal with a ceiling than do it myself in a few years.

What is that odd little short doorway looking thing?

It is a lovely room. Definitely gotta re-paint and do something about those cabinets though.

Without seeing the rest of the room, the logical place for a table would be under that low-hanging light fixture. Unless there's room off the short end of the island and you'd rather use the other space for a sitting area or something else.

What is that odd little short doorway looking thing?

It is a lovely room. Definitely gotta re-paint and do something about those cabinets though.

Without seeing the rest of the room, the logical place for a table would be under that low-hanging light fixture. Unless there's room off the short end of the island and you'd rather use the other space for a sitting area or something else.

I was wondering that too. IT looks like a nice place to build forts.

I'd be painting the ceiling for sure.

The weird cave space is finished crawlspace below the tiny guest bedroom. We actually plan to probably get one of those wide baby gate this.gs with a gate in them, and put the giant dog beds in there. It will function as a built in kennel for when company comes over. The.dogs are a little too friendly and its overwhelming.

The issue is that a table under the light will be right in the middle of the traffic flow both in the main entrance and going up the stairs.

There is tons of room on the other side of the bar, plus in front on the opposite end from the stupid light.

There is also a small den type area off the side with a fireplace that I intend to use as a schoolroom/office.

Cute house! I think having the ceiling and trim painted white is a good idea. White does go with everything. Are you changing the wall color?

I have no idea! I'm contemplating a neutral taupe, I love what we have now, then going with an espresso/black coffee color on the cabinets and beams. Its similar in value to the existing color, but warmer and a more light reflective. I'm worried that with our chocolate brown sofa and oak toned wood furniture the cool tones on the walls will look awful.

The red on the ceiling is what warms it up right now.

Adorable house! It will be so fun to decorate.

We have a taupe/greige in our living room and we are so happy with it. Warmer than grey, neutral, perfect. It looks great with brown too, did you mention you have a brown sofa? I'd do white trim, but not pure white, just slightly warmer/softer but not off white.

Enjoy your new home! P.S. that little area will be a great spot for dogs, but I'm dreaming about an awesome playspace! How fun!

The weird cave space is finished crawlspace below the tiny guest bedroom. We actually plan to probably get one of those wide baby gate this.gs with a gate in them, and put the giant dog beds in there. It will function as a built in kennel for when company comes over. The.dogs are a little too friendly and its overwhelming.

The issue is that a table under the light will be right in the middle of the traffic flow both in the main entrance and going up the stairs.

There is tons of room on the other side of the bar, plus in front on the opposite end from the stupid light.

There is also a small den type area off the side with a fireplace that I intend to use as a schoolroom/office.

From the photo it sort of looked like a corner.

Now I want a cave! How wide is that? If you wanted to cover it up, would a faux fireplace looks ridiculous there? The only thing better than a cave would be a secret cave. :coolgleamA:

Ha! I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones who love the cave!

D's is 11 5 feet tall and 125 lbs....its too small for a play space for him! I'm guessing they were going to put doors of some kind on it eventually, but if we use it as a dog room I don't want to put them in dark jail cell :)

I don't know exactly how big the area is but I'm guessing a 5 foot square with 3 foot ceiling. It even has tiny can lights.

Also.... I am so excited!! We have lived in this tiny house with no closets in a very busy neighborhood. This house has 7 closets plus a pantry, a tiny separate laundry room, a master bedroom on its own floor with an adorable master bath up a small flight of stairs that has a soaking tub and built in wall shelves.

Plus its in a super quiet neighborhood with lots of kids, and we have almost an acre. So double the house and more than double the yard all for a super affordable price.

I also love that I'm getting some of the charm the old Victorians we looked at had, but with set up more suited for the way we use a house.

Cute house!

I would paint the ceiling white too. I would suggest putting a pot light where that hanging light is, but we tried that, and there was a big beam in there (to hold the hanging light...). So I got a track type of light, it has a round plate then "bars" going out 2 ways with four little can lights. I like the idea of expresso colored cabinets. I am having trouble picking kitchen colors as well, I have tile like yours.... I have white cabinets. So picking wall color (I love taupe)..... it is too close to the floor color and it looks like we are in a paper bag. So be careful to not match the floor and wall color. If you could decide on a color (rather than neutral) it would look good on the wall rather than ceiling!

Ha! I'm glad to know we aren't the only ones who love the cave!

D's is 11 5 feet tall and 125 lbs....its too small for a play space for him! I'm guessing they were going to put doors of some kind on it eventually, but if we use it as a dog room I don't want to put them in dark jail cell :)

I don't know exactly how big the area is but I'm guessing a 5 foot square with 3 foot ceiling. It even has tiny can lights.

Oops, totally didn't notice his age! Dog space it is!

Cute house!

I would paint the ceiling white too. I would suggest putting a pot light where that hanging light is, but we tried that, and there was a big beam in there (to hold the hanging light...). So I got a track type of light, it has a round plate then "bars" going out 2 ways with four little can lights. I like the idea of expresso colored cabinets. I am having trouble picking kitchen colors as well, I have tile like yours.... I have white cabinets. So picking wall color (I love taupe)..... it is too close to the floor color and it looks like we are in a paper bag. So be careful to not match the floor and wall color. If you could decide on a color (rather than neutral) it would look good on the wall rather than ceiling!

Our current living room feels like a paper bag too, wood floors, brown furniture, taupe walls, cream trim and curtains. Booooring!

I don't hate the red ceiling as it is. But I'm not.in love with it, and the thought of trying to paint over that dark red in a few years once there is furniture and stuff makes me cringe. Plus there will already be painters in dealing with trim work and some upstairs issues.

Would I be crazy to consider a light neutralish lavender for the walls? It might be pretty with dark cabinets and our brown furniture.