Menu

Need mixer recommendations

Yes, KitchenAid is pricey, but worth it if you can afford it. I don't think I've seen one for less than about $300.

I have a Bosch, which I bought because it does such a great job of also making bread dough. It does all my stand-mixer needs, though. It is also pricey, and most of us have to order it by mail/Internet.

I *love* having a stand mixer. ;-)

I have a Bosch and a KitchenAid....love both, but I am not sure whether you were planning on spending that much.

I think Kohl's has Black Friday specials on KitchenAid mixers.

A friend also has both; she likes the Bosch much better for making bread dough. If Night Elf's dd has no plans to get into bread-making, the KitchenAid would be the better choice.

Yes, a stand mixer.

KitchenAid is probably what you're looking for, but their newer ones (last 10 years) are not as well made as their old ones.

Its a great gift to get a bunch of people to put in money together. I've organized it as a gift for 2 of my siblings and we each paid $50.

Also, Amazon has refurbished KitchenAid. Those are cheaper (I think we paid slightly under $200) but come with a 1 year warranty. All my siblings have done well with theirs but mine came with a faulty head lock. Eventually I moved on to a Bosch. (I probably would have been fine with cookies/cakes but making bread a faulty head lock means the head has to be held down while its kneading.)

I've had a KitchenAid stand mixer (the Artisan model) for nine years now. Never a problem. I use it a LOT--general baking as well as bread. I haven't baked bread the entire time I've had it, but I'd say it's had at least a couple years' worth of bread made in it once or twice a week.

It's pricey, but not nearly as pricey as a Bosch. My personal opinion on Bosch (I've only used one once) is that it would be great if I were making bread for a large family. As I'm not, I prefer my red KitchenAid:).

KitchenAid has different size bowls--4,5,and 6 quart. I imagine you could find a 4-quart on sale for a decent price.

And, in the spirit of vain silliness, KitchenAid has fun colors!! :hurray:

other things to consider with a kitchen aid is the smaller mixers have a tilt head, whereas the larger ones heads raise and lower with a handle. also, there are different wattages for the motors. so heavy mixing/bread work better with a heavy duty motor. I've had mine for 25 years.

Yes, KitchenAid is pricey, but worth it if you can afford it. I don't think I've seen one for less than about $300.

I have a Bosch, which I bought because it does such a great job of also making bread dough. It does all my stand-mixer needs, though. It is also pricey, and most of us have to order it by mail/Internet.

The Bosch Compact looks really cool, and hardly takes up any room -- at least it's a lot lighter than any Kitchen Aid, yet is supposed to be sturdy. It's a lot smaller than the giant Boschs. I haven't seen one in person, though. They are $200.

Alright, you ladies are scaring me. I can't pay hundreds of dollars. I was thinking under $100 but none of you are recommending cheap ones. And this was the only gift I could think of giving her. Bummer!!!

I would look at a sunbeam or a hamilton beach. they've been around forever and are under $100. You could also look for a used kitchen aid on your local want ads/craigslist). a kitchen aid will last a long time, so they are usually fine used. or a small appliance repair store in your area that might have a kitchen aid that's been refurbished.

I do understand though, ds's girlfriend wants a hobart. think kitchen aid on steroids. (they're commercial.) her dad is balking.

eta: one of the nice things on the kitchen aid is the beaters are interchangable, and they are what rotate - not the bowl. so those are things to consider when looking.

eta: one of the nice things on the kitchen aid is the beaters are interchangable, and they are what rotate - not the bowl. so those are things to consider when looking.

I found a Hamilton Beach for $80 that comes with interchangeable beaters (flat beater, whisk and dough hook), and and they rotate not the bowl. It's 300 watts and has 6 speeds with fold. I'm going to get that one and hope it works out okay. Thanks for your help. :)

I found a Hamilton Beach for $80 that comes with interchangeable beaters (flat beater, whisk and dough hook), and and they rotate not the bowl. It's 300 watts and has 6 speeds with fold. I'm going to get that one and hope it works out okay. Thanks for your help. :)

Sounds like it will be great! I'm sure she will get a ton of use out of it!