Menu

?? if you currently have your home on the market

If you are currently trying to sell the home you live in, I have a question for you. Assuming it takes 30 days to close if everything goes well, if you got an offer today, what closing date would you want? Dec. 15th? Or would you want to push it back to mid/late January?

I'd want it done as soon as reasonably possible

One year we closed on 12/22. It was a relief to have it all wrapped up, even though it was a crazy busy time of year. (I work in customer service and due to travel requirements am gone most of December, so it was particularly hectic and we were still in favor of closing sooner than later - whatever the date!)

I'd want it done as soon as reasonably possible

One year we closed on 12/22. It was a relief to have it all wrapped up, even though it was a crazy busy time of year. (I work in customer service and due to travel requirements am gone most of December, so it was particularly hectic and we were still in favor of closing sooner than later - whatever the date!)

So, when did you move? I'm assuming most families would not want to move the week before or after Christmas; am I wrong?

We have bought/sold in December. I have closed Dec 5 and Dec 15. Most people moving in December want to move over their children's school break. So, typically middle of December giving them over the break to unpack, etc.

Oh, I'm such a homeschooler, I didn't even think of that!

No, I don't imagine most families would want to ... but reality doesn't always dictate the ideal timetable either LOL.

Unless there were some contingencies that delayed an original contract, I'd imagine that anyone looking to buy or to sell during this time of year knows that they're going to run into some issues with the holiday. I'd rather get it all done earlier in case something came up (we wouldn't be waiting on businesses closed for the holidays), and I'd also rather get moved - in part or whole - before the holidays. Many people typically take off work the week of the holidays so it's a good time to get moved in terms of jobs, if not so ideal in terms of holiday chaos.

As a seller, I don't want to be responsible for the property for any longer than I need to be - especially going into winter, though this may depend on where you live.

We moved in over the last few weeks of December, as our work schedules permitted. Christmas that year wasn't celebrated the way it typically is, but that's just one of life's curveballs :)

We closed on our first house the week after Thanksgiving. On this house, we closed on the 19th of December and moved in on the 20th. It was a little crazy for Christmas, but it actually worked okay. Our kids were younger then (and half as many), which made it a little easier; now it would be harder, I think. But it wasn't too bad -- we moved, set up a bit (put everything on one room and then unpacked bit by bit), had Christmas, and then DH had a week off between Christmas and New Year's, so we were able to get new licenses and do all the little things that need to be done when you move.

If we sold our house today, I would want to buy a new house and move asap, even if that means moving a couple days before Christmas. We will be putting our house up for sale soon, b/c DH is in the process of getting a new job in a different state. We own our current house outright, but moving due to a new job means we will have to rent in the other state until the house here sells. Once this house sells, we will be able to buy a new home and stop paying rent, which will be a huge savings for us. I will want to stop paying rent asap.