Menu

Elements of Mathematics

kiana

One of the comments on their website was written by a mother who said her child was choosing EM over Minecraft. 'Nuff said. :D

My son took an online mathematical logic course through eIMACS and felt it helped him quite a bit at HCSSiM. The eIMACS class was very well organized and easy to do online, and the teacher answered questions and gave input quickly. All in all, a very good experience.

Anyway, I would have loved a program like EM for my kids when they were younger. For anyone who's wondering about it, the first course is free for a period of time. Might be worth a try.

If you sign up for this now, do you have to start the class right away? I'm guessing DD would enjoy it, but it will likely be January before she has any significant time to work on it.

They have an aptitude test that you have about 2 weeks to take. It looks like you need to enroll in the course within those two weeks. So I'd wait and register towards mid-December if you're going to be starting to spend time in January.

The aptitude test is pretty cool. You only have 30 min to take it.

My son took it today. I'll sign him up for the first course around Thanksgiving.

I used the EM books (Bk 0, most chapters, and Bk 1) when I was in a MEGSSS program in middle school. They are absolutely wonderful. I don't have my copies any longer. The books are so good though that I bought them when I was able to find who held the rights. (My husband still isn't pleased at how much I spent.... Oh well.) I've been torn between using them or AoPS. I've been leaning EM.

I'm a bit frustrated since I have the books and now I may end up paying again for my son to do the online work, but the materials are just so very very good. I'm very curious to see how the online work meshes with the texts. I'm sure things will have been nicely updated (not talking about debt in the 70s and USSR :) ).

I signed my oldest up for this a few days ago, and she loves it! It is really making her think HARD! I dislike how there isn't a traditional S&S, and the rest of the courses are still in development (so I can't see the big picture of where she is going and how she will get there), so I will be hesitant to fork over $60 for the next class, but I like it so far. If nothing else, it is sure making her work on her accuracy. :D

I dislike how there isn't a traditional S&S, and the rest of the courses are still in development (so I can't see the big picture of where she is going and how she will get there), so I will be hesitant to fork over $60 for the next class, but I like it so far. If nothing else, it is sure making her work on her accuracy. :D

They have the list of the titles of the classes on the site. Learn More for Operational Systems gives the topic description. They develop these topics using formal math (for instance, in Ch 10 - algebra with operational systems, they develop the topic of a group, ring, and field. This is stuff you see in a upper-division college math class. I don't know if they'll transfer over the books I have entirely to the online work. If they do, I imagine with Ch 10 the prices for courses will go up significantly. But if the online work matches up with the textbooks and the work when I took these classes, getting through Ch 15 would definitely have you ready for calculus with your next course.

1. Operational Systems Learn more »

2. The Integers available January 2013

3. Sets, Subsets and Set Operations

4. Ordered Lists

5. Mappings

6. The Rational Numbers

7. Decimals and an Application of the Rational Numbers

8. Probability I

9. Number Theory I

10. Algebra of Operational Systems

11. Algebra of Real Functions

12. Geometry: Incidence and Isometries

13. Geometry: Similitudes, Coordinates and Trigonometry

14. Probability II and Statistics

15. Number Theory II

I signed my oldest up for this a few days ago, and she loves it!

We are all registered! :)

Thanks! My son is loving it, though I can tell it's going to seriously stretch him very quickly.

I read this on the website "Your child should be at least 10 years old". Do they enforce this rule when you register? My older is 7 and doing 6th grade math for his school. School's Thanksgiving Break and Christmas Break are coming up so I thought now would be a good time to sign up for the free course.

I read this on the website "Your child should be at least 10 years old". Do they enforce this rule when you register? My older is 7 and doing 6th grade math for his school. School's Thanksgiving Break and Christmas Break are coming up so I thought now would be a good time to sign up for the free course.

All you do is check a box stating that your child is at least 10 years old. They don't verify this, they just take your word for it.

All you do is check a box stating that your child is at least 10 years old. They don't verify this, they just take your word for it.

I went though the registration page and put 7 as age for my boy. The registration went through and he has his account. I'll see how he likes it tomorrow.

I went though the registration page and put 7 as age for my boy. The registration went through and he has his account. I'll see how he likes it tomorrow.

Thanks for posting that feedback; Button's 7, and I have a strong aversion to false info. even if it isn't checked ... we'll give it a whirl!

and, esp, thanks OP!