Menu

Ready to eat meals needed!

We leave for swim practice at 6 and get home around 7:45. I need either crockpot meals I can serve right away when we get home so we can eat and the kids can get in bed. I made crockpot meatloaf last week but I still ended up having to make sides which took longer when we got home. We eat a lot of soups out of the crockpot but that gets old. Thanks for suggestions!

If I were doing meat loaf I'd go easy on the sides and predone things such as applesauce, corn muffins, salad I'd made up ahead of time, etc.

Crockpot Chicken w/ Black Beans and Corn might work for you, except you'd need a few minutes to melt in the cream cheese when you get home. It says 30 minutes but I shred the chicken and mix in smaller chunks of cream cheese.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-w-black-beans-and-cream-cheese-yum-89204

My family likes these hot sandwiches. I use yellow and red peppers instead of the suggested green and leave out the pepper flakes.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hearty-Italian-Sandwiches

Edited by Pippen

Do you have a rice maker? I find a programmable rice maker + a crock pot = readier made meals.

:iagree: This is what I am trying to do at least a couple of times a week. My biggest struggle is finding recipes that the whole family enjoys. Chicken doesn't work well for us....seems to get too "done". However, soups, stews, beans, and roast are all good. I've managed to do this 3 times this week so far (this is a "good" week, lol; my fingers are crossed for tomorrow).

Oh, and extra rice can be frozen!

Does anyone else notice that newer crock pots cook food at a higher temperature? I've had the same crock pot for 20 years and just replaced it last year when the lid broke. Even on low I find that chicken cooks way too fast and at a higher temperature than my old crockpot did.

To the OP I have a similar problem and tonight I'm trying "muffin tin" meatloaf and potatoes. If you look on the Betty Crocker website they have a few ideas. Basically you can make "cup cake" meals and freeze them and reheat when you need them. I've never tried them before but they look good. I figure I will just add a bagged salad or fruit as sides.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/meat-loaf-and-potato-cupcakes/6d4981e9-897c-4eef-a86c-eced67424ab5?nicam2=Email&nichn2=Core&niseg2=DME&nicreatID2=DME_11_04_2012

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Tips/TipsLibrary/Cooking-Tips/Create-Your-Own-Signature-Mini-Pie?nicam2=Email&nichn2=Core&niseg2=DME&nicreatID2=DME_11_04_2012

Hpymomof3, you're right. The crock pot manufacturers are making them cook hotter so we don't undercook our meats and poison ourselves. Pretty ridiculous when crock pots have been around for 30 years and there's never been a surge of poisonings...

I actually had to get rid of my Hamilton Beach programmable crock pot and go back to an old school Crock Pot brand. You can get used ones at Goodwill and you test it by filling it with 2 quarts of water. Turn it on, and it should be at 185 degrees after 8 hours. I had one that didn't heat properly, and Goodwill took it back.

We are sort of in the same boat with basketball practice. The kids are starving. I make a casserole ahead and have it in the fridge. i just microwave it when we get home. I tend to pick things that have veggies in them, then I throw a bag of salad on the table and some fruit. Also if I'm cooking a roast or chicken I put some potatoes, carrots, etc on top or in a second crock so they are ready. This week we've had or will have:

Macaroni&cheese with ham and broccoli

enchilada casserole and canned corn

roast beef, carrot and potatoes

crockpot hamburger potato casserole

chili and corn muffins (baked ahead)