Menu

Well, my lizard is brown and so is my pool...

:glare::glare: Must be a brown sort of day...or week. We just re-filled said pool Saturday. By Sunday it was brown again. How, in the world, DOES that happen so quickly? And, said lizard, a GREEN anole is brown most of the day. We have a new habitat complete w/ lights and fresh greenery and places to hide and climb. My boys feed it fresh caught crickets every other day. It's in a low traffic area, etc. But, he's brown. :glare: I'm stressed out enough w/out worrying about the stress level of a lizard. That is all. :D

:glare::glare: Must be a brown sort of day...or week. We just re-filled said pool Saturday. By Sunday it was brown again. How, in the world, DOES that happen so quickly? And, said lizard, a GREEN anole is brown most of the day. We have a new habitat complete w/ lights and fresh greenery and places to hide and climb. My boys feed it fresh caught crickets every other day. It's in a low traffic area, etc. But, he's brown. :glare: I'm stressed out enough w/out worrying about the stress level of a lizard. That is all. :D

What size pool? Have you tested the water?

I have a blue blob pool..... 18 X 48....... I've kept it clear by using Aqua Chem test strips (6 way) and then going to the Aqua Chem site and testing the water. Then utilizing their recommendations for adjusting the chemicals. We also change the filter every few days. Once you do the initial adjustment you will only be making very minor adjustments to ph and adding Shock with Clarifier, etc. It sounds like alot, but the water will be crystal clear all year long!

Well, I can't afford the gas to get to the pool store. :glare: Otherwise, great suggestion!:D Said pool, is one of those 13' by 30" Easy Set pools. I never knew it would be so difficult to maintain otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my money. We changed the filter, added some ph increaser stuff b/c ph was low. My folks have had a pool (big in-ground) since before I was born. They only had algae problems once. Of course, they have that neat pool store w/in 5 miles of their house. Us? We live out in the boonies...no pool store w/in 30 miles. I'm going to try some Shock stuff to see what it does. If it doesn't work, I'm dumping out the water and putting the evil pool away...for good.

Well, I can't afford the gas to get to the pool store. :glare: Otherwise, great suggestion!:D Said pool, is one of those 13' by 30" Easy Set pools. I never knew it would be so difficult to maintain otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my money. We changed the filter, added some ph increaser stuff b/c ph was low. My folks have had a pool (big in-ground) since before I was born. They only had algae problems once. Of course, they have that neat pool store w/in 5 miles of their house. Us? We live out in the boonies...no pool store w/in 30 miles. I'm going to try some Shock stuff to see what it does. If it doesn't work, I'm dumping out the water and putting the evil pool away...for good.

I test the water from the hose that we fill our pool with each year so I know how to adjust the balance of the pool. Do you have a home test kit? HTH Pools has a website that you can enter your levels (ph, chlorine, alkalinity, etc) and the size of your pool and it will tell you what adjustments to make.

I will say that I agree with the other posters that this sounds like a lot of iron in your water. I'm sorry that I don't know what to tell you to add to the pool to fix the problem.

A friend of mine told me that if your green anole is brown most of the time it is not good--it is a sign of stress, and it needs to be taken care of immediately. If it is dark brown, it means it is probably very stressed or very ill. They do need plenty of places to hide, or it may not be warm enough. They do stop eating and drinking if under stress, and can die from either or both. If he is eating and drinking, it is probably a lower level of stress. If he doesn't have sufficient hiding spaces, try that first. They may change to brown a bit, but it should not be all day.

I test the water from the hose that we fill our pool with each year so I know how to adjust the balance of the pool. Do you have a home test kit? HTH Pools has a website that you can enter your levels (ph, chlorine, alkalinity, etc) and the size of your pool and it will tell you what adjustments to make.

I will say that I agree with the other posters that this sounds like a lot of iron in your water. I'm sorry that I don't know what to tell you to add to the pool to fix the problem.

H.S. that is a great idea to test the hose water. I never thought of that. Do you empty your water pool every year?

:grouphug: Let the lizzard stress go, Sue! He's probably just passive aggressive.:001_smile: :grouphug:

My pool keeps turning green...You have my sympathy. I think there is yet another chemical for brown ones.

A brown Green Anole isn't necessarily a thing to worry about. Ours have spent much of their time brown as well. At first I thought it was stressed and instructed the boys not to handle them much, for fear of further stressing. But they actually seemed to delight in being handled. My Eldest would open the top and speak to them, reaching in and they would already 'green up' They were practically glowing by the time they got in his hands. So, for ours, I think they just liked the human contact and would be happier/greener that way. But they showed no other signs of stress in the cage, brown. So, don't fret over that. If lizard otherwise appears healthy and happy, it's ok. Hubs said he has seen more brown green anoles in the wild than he's seen green ones. If that's any consolation.

And, I have no input on the pool stuff. That's hubs expertise and he's presently off dealing with other folks' pool problems so I can't readily ask for a quick online diagnosis for ya.

But feel free to PM me if you haven't come up with a diagnosis and plan for that. I can run it by hubs this evening. :)

(you can paypal me the service fee of $175 :p juuuuuuuuuust kidding!)