Menu

Progressive/Liberal Theology Teen Studies?

Does anyone have any suggestions for teen or pre-teen devotionals/studies/anything that is firmly planted in a liberal theological perspective? I have a son who is deeply engaged in Spirit and theology, but I can't find "food" for him that is teen oriented yet not with a fundamental or evangelical slant. Would love any ideas.

Thanks!

Cindy

I'm assuming you mean politically liberal/progressive?

Hummm, this is a tricky one. Normally I'd advise giving him classics like The Rule of St Benedict or a good translation of the Bible. Thirteen can be kinda young for that, though. I'm still in favor of a good Bible translation, for me that is the Oxford Annotated NRSV Bible with Apocrypha. Personally I'd have him start with the New Testament and then go to the Old Testament. Kids can get bogged down in the OT with the judgement and punishment cycles found there in.

You could look and see if there is a UU church near you, and if they are Christian based (some UU churches lean more towards one religion than another). If you feel like it's a good fit your son could try their youth group. The UU church tends to be very good about encouraging intellectual exploration in religious matters.

Let me do a bit of scouting around. My Mom is a minister and might have some ideas, and my friends on Facebook are all smart and mostly liberal.

I have seen a couple in our church book store (Episcopal) but haven't gone back to look more closely yet. I think we do all need to bombard Pete Enns about writing something for us! There are plenty of bible stories for little kids...we need him to write for our teens!

ETA: I was assuming you are looking for theologically liberal. No idea about politically liberal devotions...I'm not sure political devotionals exist....?

Edited by tjlufkin

ETA: I was assuming you are looking for theologically liberal. No idea about politically liberal devotions...I'm not sure political devotionals exist....?

I had no idea, but Liberal Christian is a specific school of thought that has nothing to do with what I thought Liberal Christianity is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Christianity

While liberal in a political sense would apply as well,;) I am speaking about l;=iberal/progressive Christianity...non-literal interpretation, etc. We have done a brief study last year about World Religions, and will do something deeper in a couple more, but I am really looking for something that would speak to his heart using language and theology that makes sense to him. He is not yet really ready for heavier adult content, although he has written to and met Marcus Borg. I have found nothing at all that is beyond typical Sunday School Bible stories but is not really adult oriented that is for the theologically progressive young teen...and he really, really craves it.

Cindy

Thanks for the great suggestions! We live an hour and a half away from a UU church, or we'd be headed there (Maybe even for me! UCC...UU...hmmm...". He is ready on some levels for the conversation around the theology expressed in Borg, but as a special needs learner he has deficits that keep him from being able to access the language right now. Phillip Gulley is a good one, I like the comparison suggestion as well with Wright and Borg, and I think Spong is just a bit over his level, too. Not theological understanding (this kid is way ahead of some adults), but actual ability to read the higher language.

That seems to be the problem overall, that liberal theology is often more "heady" and uses upper level language, and it is harder to find lower level language used which he might understand.

I guess my question is really, is there a "dumbed down" liberal writer, whose intended audience is adults or teens, that anyone can suggest. I do think Gulley would be good, so about that level??

Thanks!!

Cindy