Menu

Need quick gift ideaa for 3yo that will be safe for 1yo and...

that will fit in workboxes (rolling carts with 7 drawers). Got all that?

1. Keep 3yo occupied (girl)

2. Safe for 1yo (so those buckets of beans and trays of sand will not work)

3. These are for her birthday, she is turning three

4. Fits in workbox drawers

Would love to have 4-5 good ideas. Amazon is my friend because of Amazon Prime. I also have Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us nearby.

Thanks!

Michelle <><

ETA: If anyone has anything for sale and are willing to ship priority, I am certainly willing to consider that!!

It depends on how toddler-safe you need the activities to be.

If the one year old is going to be joining in, I'd suggest something like Duplo or Playmobil 1-2-3.

If the 3 year old is going to be using the items at a table, but there's a chance that the toddler will get hold of them now and then, the following are reasonably safe (but vulnerable to damage from chewing):

Chunky type colored pencils, with pencil case and drawing pad (or coloring book)

Magna-Tiles

Wooden or cardboard puzzles with large pieces

Lauri Tall Stacker Pegs (small, medium, or large set) -- or, to make it more toddler-friendly, just the pegs

Magnets, magnetic balls, wands, etc. -- you can buy individual ones, or Lakeshore has some sets in which the pieces are too large to be a choking hazard; you'd have to read the descriptions

Eleanor: I suspect the Magna-tiles are perfectly safe for the 1 yr old. My 1 yr old plays with Magformers with her brother and I don't worry about her carrying them off, putting them in her mouth, etc.

I agree that they're safe enough from the toddler's perspective, and they're very durable under normal use, but they aren't totally impervious to (minor) chew marks. With some toddlers this wouldn't be a concern, but then you get the occasional one who seems to be part canine. ;)

By contrast, our Playmobil 1-2-3 still looks almost new after years of heavy use. I don't know what's special about the way they make the plastic, but the quality is remarkably high.

Edited by Eleanor

Our young preschoolers also like this one:

Learning Resources Parquetry Block Super Set

Most pattern blocks are smallish and hard to keep track of, but the ones in this set are big and chunky. (I'm thinking about getting a second set, so the children can create larger designs on their own.)

ETA another sturdy favorite:

Plan Toys Lacing Beads, as long as the toddler is supervised around the string

Edited by Eleanor