Menu

curious: moving costs

We had a Uhaul WITH a ramp, and a very good dolly. That makes it easier but moving SUCKS.

We made 4 big moves within 5 years. I won't say how much because we paid for movers and I know that is not an option for many people. It was SEVERAL thousand dollars. We also paid to have our vehicles moved on a truck. The last move we did on our own, that was to our current home and it was only about 5 miles away. We still got a huge Uhaul. I drove all of the clothes and kitchen stuff in my van

There are so many variables. Distance, time of year (some times are cheaper for van rentals or paid moving companies), how much you do yourself. Our cheapest move (not counting within the same town) was when we moved ourselves from MD to GA. We collected boxes from everywhere, packed ourselves and rented a u-haul. Only additional cost was gas & food along the way. Most expensive (but paid by the company that hired dh) included boxes provided by the moving company, packing by the moving company, loading/unloading by same company as well as transport. There are a lot of options in between these two methods. You can pack yourself but pay someone else to transport, for example.

You could follow Freecycle or Craig's List for free moving boxes. We have moved 16 times (military family) and as often as I can, I try to give away the moving boxes.

If you pre-pack seldom used items, you might find that you really don't need and/or use the X-item any more. This really helps with the purge process.

I would start with:

- clothes

- linens

- kitchenware

- garage items

- books (gasp)

- toys

I would call and get estimates from movers, if that is something you can afford.

I prefer Budget over UHAUL. Budget typically has lower prices and usually has deals for 20-25% off rentals. HOWEVER, since it is 600 miles, it would probably not make a big difference. A 24-ft moving truck holds approx 5-8 rooms and 1,400 cubic feet of space. I ran a "test" on Budget truck rental from two random places approx 600 miles apart and it cost $700 for budget truck and UHAUL cost $1,224 for a 26' truck (I used same cities) Min rental for both places is 4 days

It also depends on how much time and planning you have. If you have less time, you will have to spend more money. We tried the less money, less time option and got screwed once the move was finished.

Good luck!

Our neighbors just moved yesterday & they did a thing where the moving company left the trailer, then the neighbors packed and loaded it up themselves, and then they came with the semi & picked up the trailer. I think she said it was about $2k and they're going about 800ish miles.

We're moving in 1.5 weeks - this is our 5th move in 3 yrs but thankfully dh's company has always paid for it where the movers pack everything, ship it, and unload it for us. We do however always give away our boxes on freecycle or craigslist once we're done with them.

• 8 years later...