Menu

Bifocals

I am 42 and it has become obvious I am needing some help seeing those words close up. Sigh...I've heard that you can put a near sighted contact in one eye and a far sighted contact in the other eye. I'm pretty nearsighted - now I just can't see any which way without help! Will this mess up my depth perception or anything else? Can my brain adjust? Any body do this?

Beth

I'm 40 and I'm also starting to notice that they're making print smaller these days...

At my last eye exam, the doctor told me I can just use drug store readers over my contacts for reading. I haven't resorted to trying it yet, but I will soon reach the point where I can't stretch my arms out any further and will have to give in.

That's what I did. It's a little weird at first and sometimes you have to fiddle with the prescription to find a good balance but overall, after I got used to the contacts floating around on my eyeball, it was fine. I think we adjusted the strength/balance between near and far two times before I found something that felt good. It's not as weird as it might sound.

I am 42 and it has become obvious I am needing some help seeing those words close up. Sigh...I've heard that you can put a near sighted contact in one eye and a far sighted contact in the other eye. I'm pretty nearsighted - now I just can't see any which way without help! Will this mess up my depth perception or anything else? Can my brain adjust? Any body do this?

Beth

I asked around quite a bit before I chose to use the mono focal contacts. Now that I'm used to them, I love them! It took me about 3 days, really, before I felt as though I could focus in on everything without thinking about it. Now, I never think about them. My friend who does a lot of arts and crafts says she can't do projects with hers in because of the loss of depth perception, but I've never had any issues. I sew and do all kinds of projects just like before.

One thing you should know--when you take your vision test for your driver's license, you will not be able to see all of the letters in each of the rows--some of them will be blank! No one ever told me about that happening to them, and even though I clearly stated to the person testing me that I had in contacts, she still asked me if I could count to 3 (to find all 3 rows) before asking if I had mono focal contacts. Then she sneared, "Well, THAT'S your problem!" Happily, she still let me renew my driver's license. :glare:

I think your optometrist will let you try them for a few months to see if they work well for you and if they don't, will allow you to switch. Good luck!

Beth

I have my contacts like that. Your brain does adjust rather quickly, actually. If I put my glasses on right after I take my contacts out, there are a few moments when I feel a little off, but it last only a few minutes. If I just put the contacts in when I get up in the morning, I don't even notice anything off at all.

That said, I have bad astigmatism in one eye, but can't wear a toric lens, so I just have a single vision lens for distance in that eye. I don't see as sharply with my contacts as with glasses, but it is close. YMMV as you probably have different eye issues, but I thought I'd share that just for anecdotal reference. :001_smile:

Beth

I don't know. I know some do. My cousin is an optometrist, and both he and my other cousin (who had horrendous eyesight) have done this and it worked fine.

I can't even change prescriptions without getting a migraine and the center of the lense needs to exactly center in front of my pupil or I can't tolerate it. So that option would be out for me personally.

So how are you with disorientation? Do you adjust quickly or not?

Thankfully, I read just fine but now can no longer read through glasses, so it's under them all day long when I need to read, or off and on, off and on....