Menu

Are these figures accurate?

I don't buy meat, milk or eggs. So, I can't do any comparisons for you on those.

I did our weekly shopping today, though, and I can tell you that:

A pound of butter from $1.95 to $5.19.

I buy the vegan-friendly margarine. Today I paid $3.51 per pound.

A pound of potatoes from $0.32 to $1.30.

A five-pound bag was on sale today for $2.99, or just under $.60 per pound.

5 pounds of flour from $1.97 to $3.49.

I regularly pay $2.19 for the store brand, unbleached. It goes on sale frequently for $1.99.

2 pounds of coffee from $5.49 to $13.69.

This one's harder, since I don't think I've ever bought coffee for that little. I buy the organic, shade-grown stuff, and I pay more than $14. I'm also the only coffee drinker in the house, and I don't drink it every day. So, it's not a huge bite out of our budget. It is certainly one of the first things I cut when I really need to scrimp. (Last year, I got three bags of my preferred brand in my Christmas stocking, which lasted me until just a few weeks ago.)

I just saw a post on fb that showed crazy increases in food costs in the past four years. I've only been back in the States a couple of times in the past 5 years and haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the food prices. Can these figures really be true?

A gallon of milk went from $2.15 to $4.59.

A pound of beef from $3.68 to $7.98.

Have food prices in the States really gone up that much?

Store brand milk is about 2.99 a gal, brands like Borden are

$4-$5 gal

4 sticks of butter- $3-$4 depending on brand

Potatoes, about $3.50-$5 for a 5 lb bag

flour- I don't know, dd is GF

Coffee is about $3-$4 lb for mid grade (not store brand, not fancy...folgers, etc)

Beef- depends on the cut, and whether you get 100% Angus Beef.. I used to buy chuck roasts for 2.50 lb, and they are usually $5 lb now. I pay about $3.50 lb for ground chuck in the larger packages (but I cant get it for under $3 at a family owned meat market). Sirloin I think has come down some, or at least stayed the same ($4.50 ish a lb). Pure Angus beef can go for $12-13 lb or more.

I just saw a post on fb that showed crazy increases in food costs in the past four years. I've only been back in the States a couple of times in the past 5 years and haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the food prices. Can these figures really be true?

A gallon of milk went from $2.15 to $4.59.

A pound of beef from $3.68 to $7.98.

Have food prices in the States really gone up that much?

prices really depend where you are in the states, and they have been going up. they've also made packages smaller. it's not just food costs - I was buying a *cheap* shade for my son, and it had gone up about $15 over what I paid a year ago.

I noticed today at the grocery store that the standard 5 pound bag of sugar is now an 4 pound bag in both the brand name and the store brand. Priced the same on sale as the 25% larger 5 pound bag was on sale. The choices were 4 and 10 pound bags and 1 pound boxes. I buy in bulk but was prompted to look at the prices of baking stuff while I was buying chocolate chips in the same aisle because of this thread.

Depends on area and store. The bolded is what I pay at Aldi's- much less than what you qute.

The last few times I've been by an Aldi's (two different ones about 200 miles apart), they had signs for a gallon of milk for $1.69. I haven't been by one in October, but I saw this price about six weeks ago anyway.

Milk prices fluctuate dramatically across the country. California, for example, has much higher dairy prices. Otherwise dairy farmers have been making very little money due to the very low price of milk.

I've seen 4 lb bags of sugar for years.

Edited by stripe