Menu

Thought I had my mind made up... (spelling)

curlylocks

I thought I had made up my mind in regard to spelling. I was convinced that R&S was what I was looking for. (I even ordered samples...)

Today I saw BJU spelling and now I'm thinking that I should go with that. (The only deterrent is the price.)

URGGGG....why oh why can't I make up my mind?

Any advice? Experience with both?

URGGGG....why oh why can't I make up my mind?

Because spelling is one of those subjects that everyone agrees is important and nobody can agree on the best way to teach it; that's why.

In fact, I suspect we could have spelling wars over it, if it were not for spell-check being there to back a poor speller up.

My advice--pick whatever suits you in the price range, with the amount of writing you think your child should be able to handle and go with it. I've got Spelling Plus, and I've used vintage spellers as well. What it seems to come down to is routine, making spelling a priority and practice, practice, practice.

BJUP is my favorite...after Spelling by Sound and Structure. :)

One of the things that pushes me over to SSS is that everything is in the student's workbook. With BJUP, in order to get the *full* lesson, you need the TM.

So, BJUP would require me to *teach* the lesson, whereas R&S is independent?

Because spelling is one of those subjects that everyone agrees is important and nobody can agree on the best way to teach it; that's why.

In fact, I suspect we could have spelling wars over it, if it were not for spell-check being there to back a poor speller up.

My advice--pick whatever suits you in the price range, with the amount of writing you think your child should be able to handle and go with it. I've got Spelling Plus, and I've used vintage spellers as well. What it seems to come down to is routine, making spelling a priority and practice, practice, practice.

Makes sense... :)

You can buy BJU Teachermanuals secondhanded.

I buy mine (and BJU textbooks) at www.alibris.com

Thanks for the tip...I'm wondering, though, if I can get the student workbook because the level I'm looking at has been revised this year.

Off to check...:auto:

R&S is independent. I don't know about BJU. Seems like I looked at it and decided the price wasn't worth it. R&S is so cheap, yet it's still great quality instruction. One reason I switched to it from AAS was that I didn't want to teach spelling. I'd rather spend my teaching time on subjects like math and writing (though if my child needed me to teach spelling, I would).

R&S is independent. I don't know about BJU. Seems like I looked at it and decided the price wasn't worth it. R&S is so cheap, yet it's still great quality instruction. One reason I switched to it from AAS was that I didn't want to teach spelling. I'd rather spend my teaching time on subjects like math and writing (though if my child needed me to teach spelling, I would).

Got it!! Thank you...and I totally agree with the bolded.

... this is a nice way to put it! though I didn't switch to R&S ...

I didn't like the spelling we got this year, so now I'm doing my own. I look up a spelling rule, list words that go along with it, throw in some syllabication and word family exercises and call it good. I put the word lists into either Kidsspell.com or SpellingCity.com (free sites) and let her play for about 15-20 minutes once or twice a week after doing the other exercises.

Don't feel badly about not knowing what to pick. I'm having a terrible time trying to decide which history to do next year: History Revealed: RRR with Diana Waring or continue with MOH II? Just can't decide......there's so much stuff out there, it's mind boggling!

Is it really a revision?

I got the impression that they have more changes due to 'updating copyright' then to real changes in spelling. At the site of BJU itself, you can find sometimes 'older worktexts'.

Yes, it is a revision. (new cover, full-color content as opposed to b/w)

Don't feel badly about not knowing what to pick. I'm having a terrible time trying to decide which history to do next year: History Revealed: RRR with Diana Waring or continue with MOH II? Just can't decide......there's so much stuff out there, it's mind boggling!

True...except I have been doing this for a while now and you'd think I would have it figured out. ;) (This particular child is just "different" than the others...LOL)

FWIW, if I had to choose between the two history programs, I'd choose Diana Waring. I've looked at both of those programs and I like the fact that everything is laid out -- no planning required.

True...except I have been doing this for a while now and you'd think I would have it figured out. ;) (This particular child is just "different" than the others...LOL)

May I ask, "different" how? Feel free to ignore me :D -- my own spelling curriculum isn't along the lines of what you're using, so I can't help with that -- but I have a "different" child and I didn't know if having an idea of the child's personality could help other folks with the spelling advice they're giving you ...

May I ask, "different" how? Feel free to ignore me :D -- my own spelling curriculum isn't along the lines of what you're using, so I can't help with that -- but I have a "different" child and I didn't know if having an idea of the child's personality could help other folks with the spelling advice they're giving you ...

I can't quite put my finger on it. He is incredibly smart in many ways, but struggles with phonics/spelling, writing and, to some extent, reading. (My older children were "naturals" and he is not.) He has a memory like a steel trap...if he hears or sees something once, he remembers it.

I *think* that if I had him tested, he would probably be "labeled" as dyslexic, dysgraphic or a combo of the two.