Menu

When one kid is sick...

...what do you do with the others?

My 3.5-year-old son has been sick and miserable since Monday afternoon. He's been watching tons of videos, drinking soda, getting candy as a reward for choking down his truly disgusting antibiotic, having lots of stories and cuddle time, etc.

I'm trying to have my 7.5-year-old live her normal life, or as close to that as possible, but it's hard. She wants to watch the videos and drink the soda too. She doesn't want to stay cooped up in the house all day. She doesn't want activities and playdates to be canceled. She doesn't want to do much of her school work independently. Most of all, she wants parental attention, and we're pretty preoccupied. She keeps complaining of "symptoms" she's sure that she has too.

I'm trying to give her a sense of perspective (look at how miserable Colin is, you don't want to feel that way even if he does get soda) and also fill her cup when I can, like playing a card game with her when he's in bed. But of course I am exhausted and would rather use that time to rest. I can't help thinking that if she went to school this week would be a lot more enjoyable for her.

What do you do when one of them is sick? Do you try to keep up the other kids' schoolwork? Do your healthy kids get to share sick-kid privileges?

I guess we do a mix of both. And sadly realize that soon the tables will be turned, and the other child will be sick after the 3.5yo recovers.

I try to sequester the sick one, up in a room with books and DVD player. Headphones if they're nearby. But I'm guessing that won't work for a 3.5yo. :glare:

Hopefully you can do a little school while the toddler naps.

And there's always Magic School Bus videos . . . !:001_smile:

I tend to declare a pajama day and let everyone be a bit lazy and enjoy 'sick' privileges (like screen time) to some degree. If I'm opening some ginger ale and breaking out the crackers and ginger cookies -- I want some too, so I don't fault a child for that. Usually however, sick kids get lots of long naps, so well kids get treated normally at those times (unless they claim symptoms, then they get offered a nice long nap too).

That's only for day one though. If it goes on and on, we'd need to do it differently.

I tend to declare a pajama day and let everyone be a bit lazy and enjoy 'sick' privileges (like screen time) to some degree. If I'm opening some ginger ale and breaking out the crackers and ginger cookies -- I want some too, so I don't fault a child for that. Usually however, sick kids get lots of long naps, so well kids get treated normally at those times (unless they claim symptoms, then they get offered a nice long nap too).

That's only for day one though. If it goes on and on, we'd need to do it differently.

I let them all drink soda and watch videos, especially if they're missing their regular activities. I do try to catch the well kid for a bit of school work so we don't get too far behind, but if it doesn't happen we'll make it up later.

If GW has a day off school, so do the others even if it's not a normal holiday. There would be rebellion in the ranks if I didn't do this.

We just don't do that here.

Sick = go lay down on the sofa (if little, bigs go to beds) with some saltines and only slightly sweetened lemonade. I might read to them once or twice, but otherwise? I don't make being sick a vacation or a treat. I keep them hydrated and mostly sleeping on the sofa.

If everyone or a majority is REALLY sick, I will call it a marathon movie day for everyone and we will watch a bunch of dr who's or whatever..

Otherwise, being sick isn't anything anyone here wants to be. It's boring.