Menu

Math Mammoth question

Jennifer WI

So we're using CLP right now for math. I'd say it's going well, but I'll also say that both of my boys are behind in math as far as grade levels go. My 12 year old is doing over half way through the 5th grade level. My 10 year old is over half way through the 3rd grade level. I'm a bit embaressed to even say that on this board as it sometimes seems that everyone is so "with it" except for us. They have not been strong in math, and I have not been good about always making it happen and sticking with a curriculum. I had been using TT and when I decided that computer math was NOT a good thing for my ds10 I went to CLP. Now I went down in grade levels when I made the move, which seems pretty normal when I read about TT. (Not criticizing, just saying what I've read.) So now we're plugging along and I've been noticing Math Mammoth and I peeked at some samples and I'm intrigued. I like the looks of it pretty well and am wondering if it would work for us. Of course, things are going ok for us. And looking at the samples made me think I'd end up starting with 5th and 3rd grade levels again and that makes me want to cry.

So, do I stay with CLP since it's going ok? Honestly, my 2nd grade dd I will probably at least try it with because she is on grade level and she doesn't love CLP. Not saying that they have to LOVE it, but Math Mammoth looks good enough that I may give it a shot with her to see if it would make her happier.

Thanks for listening. Advice? Thoughts? Comforting gestures? :D

Edited to say: I should have titled this differently. I thought I was going to ask questions but instead said what I did and then didn't change the thread title.

None of us have it "all together", all the time. Right now we're lucky to get math and grammar done every day with the new baby around. Lol.

We use Math Mammoth and we have used CLE. My dd wasn't retaining as much with CLE, so we switched.

If CLE is working for you, stick with it. Don't math hop. Now, Maria Miller (author of Math Mammoth) does offer TONS of free samples on her site - take advantage of those; there is no harm in trying it.

We use Math Mammoth with my child who isn't particularly strong in math (and I definitely don't have it "all together" !)

Besides all the sample pages on the website, you could also buy just one of the Blue Series workbooks (they range from $2.50 or so and up) to see if you like it. I started with supplementing her other math with Math Mammoth Blue Series workbooks in areas that were more challenging for her. Now, we are using MM solely, and I like it a lot. She likes it okay, which is about as good as I think I'm going to get with her and math right now. :-)

Since the problem has been that you've switched curriculum a lot, I would stay with what you're using for the older two. Let them keep going at their pace (and don't worry about what others here are doing).

Use MM with your DD.

:)

I agree with this. Unless you really are going to use MM and vow to stick with it for a long time. At least a full year.

Switching constantly is difficult. MM is solid. I am not familiar with what you are using now though.

I totally feel you! Any time a thread starts with or includes "advanced" or "accelerated" I just close it down. It makes me feel inferior or like a failure and I don't understand why people feel the need to mention it in every post. Anyway, my 2nd grader is still doing 1st grade math. We skipped around a lot last year trying to find something that worked for both of us. We finally landed on MM. We are doubling up lessons (1 from a "real" math section and 1 from a "fun" math section) to get through it. If we stay on track she will finish up 1B before Christmas and we will start 2A doing the same thing. We school year round so if we can get through 2A before the end of the school year, we should be able to catch up by next year. But I will not hesitate to slow down or linger on something if it gives her trouble. This isn't a race to who's child can be the most ahead.

If what you're using is working for all of you, stick with it, if not, change it.

If a person is looking for advice about math (or any subject) and their child, it is pertinent that they mention a child's strengths and weaknesses. I do not think anyone on the board mentions advanced or accelerated just to say it or have it seen. It's an education board - it is relevant information.

I totally feel you! Any time a thread starts with or includes "advanced" or "accelerated" I just close it down. It makes me feel inferior or like a failure and I don't understand why people feel the need to mention it in every post. Anyway, my 2nd grader is still doing 1st grade math. We skipped around a lot last year trying to find something that worked for both of us. We finally landed on MM. We are doubling up lessons (1 from a "real" math section and 1 from a "fun" math section) to get through it. If we stay on track she will finish up 1B before Christmas and we will start 2A doing the same thing. We school year round so if we can get through 2A before the end of the school year, we should be able to catch up by next year. But I will not hesitate to slow down or linger on something if it gives her trouble. This isn't a race to who's child can be the most ahead.

If what you're using is working for all of you, stick with it, if not, change it.

Since the problem has been that you've switched curriculum a lot, I would stay with what you're using for the older two. Let them keep going at their pace (and don't worry about what others here are doing).

Use MM with your DD.

:)

I agree with this also. Stick with what is working. Put on blinders to what everyone else is doing. :001_smile:

Thanks for listening. Advice? Thoughts? Comforting gestures? :D

I think we homeschooling Moms (and non-homeschooling or non-Mom people) are often so hard on ourselves. I have a feeling that in the long run, this decision won't matter much. So, for now, why not just do whatever feels righter to you. ;)

I feel for ya,

Pei

Thanks all! For now I'm going to stick with CLE. It really is* going pretty well, and bouncing around is certainly not getting us ahead. Thanks for reminding me that it really is ok to be where they are and not feel so behind.

Thanks for all of your opinions and encouragement. It means a lot.