Menu

Dance moms...foot injury

I picked up the bigs from their cadet camp yesterday. DD13 told me a tree fell on her foot when they palyed predator and prey and it was wrapped in a tensor. I laughed it off, dd is a known drama queen. Well I just got an email from the main leader checking in on her. Apparently it was really a tree that fell on her. It trapped her and it took 3 men to lift it off her foot. All 3 kept saying Miss Ryan is going to kill us. Miss Ryan is dd's dance instructor. Miss Ryan is tougher than any drill sergeant. At camp they had the nurse check it out, wrapped it up and she proceeded through the rest of the weekend. No major injury so they did not contact me. I am actually not upset by that stuff. My concern is dd's foot. It is still hurting her today and still wrapped. Minor bruising, minimal swelling, not broken for sure just sore. We are following RICE today on it. My issue is tomorrow. She has ballet and Jazz tomorrow. Normally I would have her take a week off BUT they are coming up on jazz and tap exams and each class is vital. She has ballet and jazz tomorrow(followed by 2.5 hours of cadets), stretch and lyrical thursday, tap friday, acro for 2 hours on saturday. That is a lot of work on her feet. Do you think wrapping it in medical tape for extra support would work? I would keep her in the tensor but her ballet slipper and jazz bootie would not fit over it. I use medical tape to tape up my soles due to plantar fascitis and it helps. Do you think it would help her? THe injury was to the top of her foot where it connects to the ankle.

Cadet leader told me to have dance teacher call him if she wants to discuss the injury before letting her dance.

She is at a fairly low level of dancing still as this is her first year. Tonight she is doing an epsom salt bath to soak it.

Any other ideas to help it? and do you think taping it would give it enough support?

I am so proud of her, even while she was trapped she never cried or anything. She calmly waited for another cadet to come close enough to call for help. Between coming in as the top girl and 2nd highest ability during fitness testing and then being trapped under a tree, never crying, and kept on going she sure has made a name for herself in the troop. They either call her the dancer or smurf (due to tiny size, and her toque kept sitting like a smurf hat). SHe is thrilled, but we are both worried about the impact on her dancing. Thank goodness it was right before recital.

I would get it checked, because the long term implications may affect her dance more than this immediate effect on her testing. Fractures are not always super obvious. That is a LOT of activity if there is any question about what is going on. She may end up really swollen and in pain after a few hours of that level of activity. I would not rely on tape, especially for that amount of time she'll be engaging in physical activity on her feet.

I would get it checked, because the long term implications may affect her dance more than this immediate effect on her testing. Fractures are not always super obvious. That is a LOT of activity if there is any question about what is going on. She may end up really swollen and in pain after a few hours of that level of activity. I would not rely on tape, especially for that amount of time she'll be engaging in physical activity on her feet.

:iagree: Please. It's hard to keep them down, I know, but you risk permanent damage if you allow her to continue.

The condition of your daughter's feet is far more important than any drill sarge dance teacher.

She is at a fairly low level of dancing still as this is her first year. Tonight she is doing an epsom salt bath to soak it.

:grouphug: poor thing.

1. fwiw, having a healthy foot is way more important for exams than anything she could learn in one class.

2. stress/hairline fractures can't be determined by a physical exam. it takes an xray AND a really good reader.

3. so if it were my dd, she'd be in for xrays as soon as i could get her there and she wouldn't dance until after the doctor gave the go-ahead. dancing when injured may be brave, but is rarely wise.

fwiw,

ann

eta: our drill for foot injuries is 15 minutes of ice every hour for the first 24 hours, then 15 minutes of ice + 15 minutes of heat every hour to two hours for the next 48 + vitamin I as needed (ibuprofen). we elevate the foot, too. each one is different; a doctor will be able to advise you. but this is what we do until we see one.

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

I would not let her dance until she got the okay from the Dr. It could cause more damage, and maybe permanent. It just isn't worth taking the chance.

My dd friend landed wrong during a Lovely, and she thought she was okay. Nope. Her foot was broken. Good thing they went because she also did Pointe.:ack2:

Hope she feels better soon.

If your dd's foot checks out okay, I have had good luck with comphrey salve applied externally to bruises or other soft tissue injuries. I would not apply it until you know the bones are intact and where they belong though.

Comphrey is a folk remedy for broken bones. I don't know how effective it is but I would not chance putting it on a possible broken bone that was not correctly set.

Thanks everyone. We will see if we can get an xray tomorrow morning. We will have to go to ER to do it as her dr is 2 hours from here. They are usually really hesitant to xray much of anything but we will see if they will. I don't want further injury to it.

Our experience with broken bones here have been major swelling, bruising and deformity. There is nothing like that with her foot.

Tazzie did your son have any symptoms of the broken foot before he danced on it? Was there any external signs of a break/fracture before that?

I never really thought it would be broken, she says it hurts but she is walking around on it etc. Wouldn't she be avoiding weight bearing if it was?

Small town hospitals suck.; So after going to the ER, being sent to the clinic to see the walk in dr, being sent back to the hospital for xrays, finding out xray machine was being repaired and told to come back in an hour and then finally getting xrays done. We were told the hospital does not employee a radiologist, and the xrays have to be sent out to be analyzed, the dr will call us in 3-4 days if it is broken. *eyeroll*

So dd went to dance with a well wrapped foot. When the rest of teh class did jumpes she only plied etc. both feet flat on the ground for both ballet and jazz. Hopefully we will hear before lyrical and tap this week.

Idiots.