Menu

Have cage, need RATS

The best place to get rats, in my opinion, is to adopt them from someone who has to give them up for whatever reason. Rats from homes are usually the friendliest and most socialized, assuming the owner has cared for them well. The only downside to this is that rats already have a short lifespan, and if you adopt a rat that's a year or two old, you're not going to have as much time with it.

With pet store rats, it's kind of a crapshoot. I've gotten rats from Petco that were completely feral and died within days from illness, and I've gotten rats from Petco that were friendly and lovely. If I had a choice and couldn't adopt, I'd look for some kind of independent breeder (they must have them somewhere, though we don't have any around here) or a smaller pet store where they can get more attention. Otherwise, if you do go the Petco route, make sure you handle the rats when you pick yours out, and go with rats that aren't absolutely terrified of you. Avoid rats that are especially lethargic or that bite.

Also, it's a good idea to get two rats. They're very social creatures, and most of them will do best with another rattie to groom, chatter to, etc. Although you will get the occasional weirdo that enjoys solitude. ;)

Have you tried searching on Petfinder.com? Lots of small animal rescues post their animals there. I love to adopt animals from foster homes, because they are handled often and their caretakers are knowledgeable about their personalities and quirks. Our local small animal rescue almost always has young animals available as well as older ones. You could also look on Craigslist. I once found a hamster on Craigslist (her owner was no longer financially able to care for her), and she was healthy and well socialized.

Rats are wonderful. A good friend of mine took her rat to the vet, only to be told that he had a terminal illness and didn't have long to live. When she arrived back home, she began crying over the diagnosis. Upon seeing this, her rat went into his cage, brought out his best hidden treasure (a half eaten chocolate Easter egg), and gave it to her. So sweet!

Mergath is right. If you can get two, they will be happier and more relaxed.

Good luck!

Our county's animal shelter always has lots of ratties for adoption. I'm still working on persuading the rest of the family. Perhaps I should start with the cage, as well. It'll be like the frog in gradually heated water; first an empty cage, then some bedding, then a water bottle...by the time the rat moves in, maybe nobody will even notice!

Good luck finding your new pet(s). :)

Our county's animal shelter always has lots of ratties for adoption. I'm still working on persuading the rest of the family. Perhaps I should start with the cage, as well. It'll be like the frog in gradually heated water; first an empty cage, then some bedding, then a water bottle...by the time the rat moves in, maybe nobody will even notice!

Good luck finding your new pet(s). :)

There are some absolutely adorable videos of pet rats on youtube. If watching those don't convince your family, nothing will. ;)

We are loving our rats. We got them in July when they were 5 weeks old. A friend's neighbor just happened to have a rat that had babies.

My boys have been spending a lot of time here looking at pics of cages for ideas.

Teach your kids to say "pet rats" instead of just "rats" to avoid potential awkwardness. Sometimes my boys will have little scratches on their arms, neck, or face from little rat claws. A few times now when someone has asked about the scratches my boys said, "We have rats." I then get shocked horrified looks before I can jump in and say, "Pet rats. We have pet rats. Not a rat infestation of my house," followed by sighs of relief.

Although you will get the occasional weirdo that enjoys solitude. ;)

Really? You had to go there? Introverts are NOT weirdos. ...Oh,wait...you meant the rats....:leaving:

"Used rats." That's marvelous. I wonder if the rats would prefer "previously enjoyed."

Erm, that sounds a bit "red light district" for some reason. My mind is in the gutter (with the rats :D)

Teach your kids to say "pet rats" instead of just "rats" to avoid potential awkwardness. Sometimes my boys will have little scratches on their arms, neck, or face from little rat claws. A few times now when someone has asked about the scratches my boys said, "We have rats." I then get shocked horrified looks before I can jump in and say, "Pet rats. We have pet rats. Not a rat infestation of my house," followed by sighs of relief.

Sound advice. I've been mulling the thought of getting the kids a pet rat. We would for sure need to practice the use of the word PET! Although, you could totally dissuade visits from people you don't want to see. "Come over any time. Man, look at that scratch on DS's arm [long pause] we have rats..."

Great advice! Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking online but haven't found anything yet. Maybe I'll stop by a pet shop this weekend.

We bought mice at Petco a few years ago, but after one mouse attacked another, I had to donate everything to a family member. The attack looked gruesome and I didn't want it to happen again and have DD discover it.