Menu

Model Rocket Questions

My Dad is in his early 50's and was reminiscing about a type of rocket that he used to launch when he was a boy. The name sounded like Atlas(?) or Estes(?) I didn't have a chance to clarify. He said you lit a fuse and it launched.

I've looked on Amazon and the model rocket array is large and confusing for someone who knows nothing about them. I'd like to get him one for Christmas. He was really enthusiastic about the rockets and he's had a tough couple of years. This sounds better than what I usually get him.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Estes is a main brand of model rockets, but I've never heard of one like you are describing. Most now are electric launch.

I'd call a hobby shop and ask them what would be closest.

Thanks. Maybe they are all electric now? Things have probably changed since he was a kid!

Ours aren't electric. Ask at the hobby shop.

:iagree:Also, make sure you get everything that he would need to launch - he may need an ignition switch, a stand, wadding & some engines. None of this is very expensive. Rocketry is a very accessible hobby at the entry level. Be sure to get him a cool rocket he can enjoy putting together - multiple stage rockets are fun to put together and to launch. Oh, spray paint is good, too - they have to look great, after all!

Even if you can't find exactly what he used as a kid, get him something similar. I think this sounds like so much fun! Tell him to be careful! Oh, yes, you may want to send one or more of your kids to the launch so that they can act as the chase team!

Yes, Estes is a brand. They sell kits that require different levels of assembly, from very little to a lot. The wrapper tells what other supplies you'll need to put the rocket together, such as glue, paint, sandpaper, etc. It will also tell you what type of engines you'll need. It can get pretty involved with the supplies if you want a launch pad and that rod thingy that helps it launch straight upward. Wait, I think you can launch off the ground if you have that rod thingy to keep it straight. (Can you tell I'm not the rocket person in this family?)

You could get a basic kit and engines at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. But if you want help knowing exactly what you need go to a *real* hobby store.

It was defintely Estes and he may have mentioned an Alpha model rocket since it's a kit that Estes keeps bringing back.

If you want to fix him for launching you will need a rocket plus launch equipment and engines (along the lines of what I've linked plus engines which I usually buy locally). If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby printing off a 40% off coupon is a great way to go for this purchase. Traditional hobby stores are a pretty sure bet and sometimes you can find them at Walmart or Toys R Us.

http://www.amazon.com/Estes-1469-Tandem-X-Launch-Set/dp/B002VLP67S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350183960&sr=8-1&keywords=estes+starter+set

One of the things that has changed in model rocketry since he was involved is the wide variety of kits. Now you can purchase ready to fly kits, plus a wide range of kits to construct from various manufactures.