Menu

How do you choose a good-quality, not-crazy-expensive bike?

DD10 has finally, at long last, in spite of my Frasier-based fears, learned to ride a bike. Of course, the bike she's learned to ride is the one that was bought for her three years ago, and it's now ridiculously small for her, plus the chain keeps falling off. So now we need an appropriate bike for her, as well as one for me. DD7 can use the original bike if we can figure out the chain issue.

I can't spend a crazy amount of money on bikes this year, but DD10 loves to ride now, and we all need the exercise. The chain-falling-off bike was from Target, and that makes me kind of leery about just buying another cheapo bike there.

So how do people shop for bikes? Is there a way to balance quality and cost? Are Target bikes really not so bad? My previous bike (from many years ago) was an adult bike from Toys R Us, and while it was cheap, it was so heavy it was hard to ride.

I'm :bigear: for any advice anyone has!

We've had excellent luck with the Huffy bikes make especially for Walmart. I'm not a huge Walmart fan in general, but these are the only kids bikes I'll buy.

Your daughter would probably do well with a 24 inch bike. That is the size I buy for my girls who range in height between 4-8 and 5-1. They are $89 fully put together and have really held up well. Over Christmas we bought two for $69 apiece. We keep them in the garage between uses. That and keeping the tires properly filled are the two best things you can do to ensure the bike lasts.

Here's the link:

Huffy Cranbrook:

These are sturdier and have held up better than the $150 Schwinn bikes we've purchased from Target in the past.

She is probably too big for the 20' bike unless she is down in the 5th percentile with my 11yo daughter who is still riding a 20. But here is the link just in case: Cranbrook 20. This would be a great bike for your 7yo. My 7yo son just bought himself the boys' 20' version for himself and it fits perfectly.

They've also got boys' Huffy Cranbrook 26 and 29 inch bikes for adults.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

We've had success with TREK bikes purchased used off Craigslist. We pay around $100 for a 5-600$ bike. They've held up well.

This is also what I would say. The parts on a bike shop bike (Trek, Gary Fisher, Marin, etc) are replaceable if they break. Most Target/Walmart bikes just need to be thrown away if certain parts break.

Make sure the part that holds the pedals into the bike (bottom bracket) is tight and doesn't shift around. Wiggle the cranks (the parts holding the pedal on each side of the bike) to test the bottom bracket.

Also make sure the wheels are straight and the rim is not bent. You can tell by spinning them and looking at different angles.

Flat tires are not a big problem, it may just be a $5 tube if the tires look in good condition.

You can even call local bike shops to see if they have any used. Make sure they have done a full tune up as those can run $65+.

The parts on a bike shop bike (Trek, Gary Fisher, Marin, etc) are replaceable if they break. Most Target/Walmart bikes just need to be thrown away if certain parts break.

Not true with Huffy. I've called for replacement parts and had them send them to us free of charge. We don't do expensive bicycles for the younger kids because they are more likely to leave them out front and have them stolen, let them drop to the ground and damage them, or more likely, outgrow them too quickly to make the expense worthwhile. A cheap bike that falls apart is frustrating and annoying, but an inexpensive bike that wears well is a good option. Granted, I would never buy a cheap bike if there are gears or handbrakes involved. If you live where there are mountains or steep hills, a cruiser style may not be an option. But now that we live where it's all flat land, I'd never mess with gears and kids again.

Granted, I would never buy a cheap bike if there are gears or handbrakes involved. If you live where there are mountains or steep hills, a cruiser style may not be an option. But now that we live where it's all flat land, I'd never mess with gears and kids again.

I was assuming more of a bike with gears and hand breaks. A cruiser style does have much less parts to break. I am not sure if the derailer or bottom bracket could be replaced on a Huffy. All good things to find out before a big purchase.

The size of the person and intended use also makes a big difference. A hundred pound person riding around on paved paths is much different than a 250lb person taking it out on a mountain bike course.

The 20" cruiser Huffy that is linked is super cute!

This is also what I would say. The parts on a bike shop bike (Trek, Gary Fisher, Marin, etc) are replaceable if they break. Most Target/Walmart bikes just need to be thrown away if certain parts break.

:iagree:

I know not everyone is as serious about cycling as our family, but buying cheap heavy bikes is a sure way to make kids hate riding.

My husband, who does all of his own bike maintenance, had to break it to the kid next door that his cheap Walmart bike was not reparable. Had they bought good quality from the beginning it could have been passed to the younger brother and then sold on Craig's List afterward.

You are much better off buying a quality brand used and then reselling. The above brands are great, as is Specialized. I would also look at REI bikes if you are buying new. I could not find what I wanted used (20in 6 speed all-aluminium frame) so we bought the Novara Duster new for around $250 and its a great quality bike for the price and met all of my criteria. My son is currently doing 3 rides a week (15 miles, 7 miles, and a mountain biking session) and he FLIES on that thing. Really impressed.

Another vote for buying a quality bike. And since you have a younger child, it can be passed down and used longer.

Look on Craig's List- you might find a decent bike at a really great price. Especially if you're looking for a bike for yourself. Dh bought a new Trek this spring and is considering an upgrade- and the going rate for his 9 month old bike is HALF what he paid for it new. There are tons of bargains like that out there.