Menu

Book Thread

welovetoread

DD9 is currently reading Princess Academy and the Narnia series. We are enjoying Where the Mountain Meets the Moon as a read aloud. DD likes almost every book she reads. :001_smile: The last ones she LOVED were Tuck Everlasting, Mandy and Because of Winn Dixie.

Enjoy the search!

ETA: If your younger ones haven't yet read The Ordinary Princess, that would be a great choice!

Edited by lisabees

Both my ds and dd liked reading the Percy Jackson books when they were in 5th grade.

My oldest has been reading A Wrinkle in Time and the books that follow that. She has also enjoyed Agatha Christie books and The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K.Chesterton. She is reading the science fiction series by C.S.Lewis (Out of the Silent Planet is the first one) right now and is liking these as well but I don't know if your oldest is into science fiction or not. I have tried to read these but just can't get into them. :001_smile:

I just had a blog post about what we're all reading here - both my boys are third graders and pretty average readers, I would say. They read and enjoy a lot of graphic novels as well as more traditional fare. And I read a lot of YA. I'm in the middle of The Diviners right now. Does your oldest dd like Libba Bray? I also really enjoyed Every Day by David Levithan and a newish YA fantasy called Shadow and Bone.

The Great Brain

Little Britches

Ginger Pye

The Mysterious Benedict Society books (dd9 reads these over and over, along with all the Harry Potter books)

Honestly, I can't really recall a book she didn't love. *I* didn't love Mary Poppins, but she did.

I just had a blog post about what we're all reading here - both my boys are third graders and pretty average readers, I would say. They read and enjoy a lot of graphic novels as well as more traditional fare. And I read a lot of YA. I'm in the middle of The Diviners right now. Does your oldest dd like Libba Bray? I also really enjoyed Every Day by David Levithan and a newish YA fantasy called Shadow and Bone.

I love getting ideas from your blog. My kids adore graphic novels. They've read all that you suggested except Avatar (but we haven't read the Airbender series either). Are they both excellent?

I love getting ideas from your blog. My kids adore graphic novels. They've read all that you suggested except Avatar (but we haven't read the Airbender series either). Are they both excellent?

The graphic novel series probably doesn't made a lot of sense without the TV show, unfortunately. But the TV show is one of the best in children's television, in my opinion, with complex plots that even my husband and I enjoyed. And this particular graphic novel series is being written by an award winning graphic novel author who was nominated for the National Book Award for his works for older kids, so it's not the usual crummy book tie in stuff - it's nearly as good as some of the other great graphic novel series for this age group.

The graphic novel series probably doesn't made a lot of sense without the TV show, unfortunately. But the TV show is one of the best in children's television, in my opinion, with complex plots that even my husband and I enjoyed. And this particular graphic novel series is being written by an award winning graphic novel author who was nominated for the National Book Award for his works for older kids, so it's not the usual crummy book tie in stuff - it's nearly as good as some of the other great graphic novel series for this age group.

Okay, so we should watch the shows first? Which one comes first? I'm looking on Netflix right now. I see Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Last Airbender. Or are there more? Are they appropriate for both age 6 and 9?

The Great Brain

Little Britches

Ginger Pye

The Mysterious Benedict Society books (dd9 reads these over and over, along with all the Harry Potter books)

Honestly, I can't really recall a book she didn't love. *I* didn't love Mary Poppins, but she did.

:iagree: with the book recommendations. I loved Mary Poppins :tongue_smilie: