Menu

learning Sudoku

carriecs

Hello! I've been searching, with no success, for a good website to assist me in teaching my kids how to complete Sudoku puzzles. As you can see from my signature, my kids are early elementary ages, so a site that has easy puzzles that graduate into harder ones would be a great fit. So far, I have mostly come across sites with one level puzzles.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or experience introducing Sudoku at these ages?

Thanks!!!

websudoku.com

Puzzles of different levels.

IMO, you just need to explain to your kids the rules of Sudoku (each number ones per row, column and square), and then they should practice by doing the easy ones and gradually harder ones. I don't see a value in "teaching" them the tricks to do the puzzles - they need to figure it out and discover the shortcuts.

This said, I think your kids are a little too young for anything but the easiest ones.

Thank you for the suggestions! The jigasawdoku one especially looks like a good start for my kids.

I feel like I need to clarify my wording in my first post - I am just looking for assistance in introducing Sudoku to my kids so they understand how the puzzle works and can complete it on their own, at their own levels. That is what I meant by "complete Sudoku Puzzles." I am not looking for ways to teach them short cuts. :001_smile: I'm hoping to add Sudoku puzzles to activities they can do when I need to do school one-on-one with another.

Thanks again!!!

I started my 5 year old with Sudoku by making a chalk board out on the pavement (a 4x4 board) and then using 4 categories of items from the house (eg math manipulatives, small figurines, cutlery etc) and getting her to place the items on the board herself which meant she could move them if they were not in the right place and she also didn't have to worry about abstract numbers. My DD is also very hands on which is why we started like this and not with paper. It does help to start with smaller grids and work up to the usual 9 number grid.

Try Colorku... It is a version with marble in colors instead of numbers. It has been great to teach mine. We just do the puzzles together and I would walk them through te steps, talking out the thought process. They start to think in terms of the logic and there are a number if different levels included in the game. I know you can get it at Mindware, but try probably have it in amazon too...

I started my 5 year old with Sudoku by making a chalk board out on the pavement (a 4x4 board) and then using 4 categories of items from the house (eg math manipulatives, small figurines, cutlery etc) and getting her to place the items on the board herself which meant she could move them if they were not in the right place and she also didn't have to worry about abstract numbers. My DD is also very hands on which is why we started like this and not with paper. It does help to start with smaller grids and work up to the usual 9 number grid.

Great idea! I'm going to try this with my kids.

Here you go... easier than standard sudoku, but the same rules. I started my DS on these, and he LOVES them.

THANK YOU for this link! I used to print off krazydad mazes for my kids all the time, but this summer my laptop died and I lost all my favorite bookmarks (I can never remember the addresses on my own :) ). These puzzles are just the type I was hoping to find to start my older two with getting how Sudoku-type puzzles works. Thank you!!!!!

THANK YOU for this link! I used to print off krazydad mazes for my kids all the time, but this summer my laptop died and I lost all my favorite bookmarks (I can never remember the addresses on my own :) ). These puzzles are just the type I was hoping to find to start my older two with getting how Sudoku-type puzzles works. Thank you!!!!!

You're welcome.

I dread the day my desktop dies. I have soooo many links saved!

Try Colorku... It is a version with marble in colors instead of numbers. It has been great to teach mine. We just do the puzzles together and I would walk them through te steps, talking out the thought process. They start to think in terms of the logic and there are a number if different levels included in the game. I know you can get it at Mindware, but try probably have it in amazon too...

How fantastic! I am definitely putting this at the top of my Christmas wish list.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and ideas. I feel so much better equipped to introduce Sudoku in ways each of my kids will best understand. Yay!!!