Menu

Catholics - active 3 year old and Mass

I see the other young children sitting nicely with their books. Not my kid :glare:.

Would it be inappropriate for him to sit with more of a hands on (quiet) activity? Our local Catholic store sells these nifty little rosary beading kits for young children (large chunky beads for easier threading). I *think* it might hold his attention a bit better.

I would really like to venture out of the cry room one day :tongue_smilie:. We generally attend a mid-day Latin Mass (this is necessary; we have a wonderful local priest that gives the local homeschooled children formal Latin class before Mass - I feel it is very important to support him at his Mass following; besides, I enjoy it :D). I haven't attempted the normal, rather crowded, Sunday Mass with him yet because even the very small Latin Mass seems very stimulating for him.

First off, I am so totally jealous of your mid-day Latin mass and priest giving lessons. I'm paying an arm and a leg for lessons and my priests just roll their eyes about it.

I would do the beads...cuz when he drops them, they are going to make an awful ruckus. But get him something, yes. Like a blank book and a pencil to draw in it? Also, try sitting really close up front. It helps if they see what is going on. When you are singing or praying, whisper it into his ear. Point at the hymnals and missals and see if he'll follow along. He might not, but it's worth a shot. If you can, sit near some sympathetic friends who are willing to play "pass the baby". Going to different people might be interesting enough to entertain him.

:grouphug: My youngest is two. It gets better.

Definitely get him something to do. Books that are especially for Mass, TammyS has a good suggestion for a blank book, whatever you find at the Catholic store. If you think the beads might fall all over, you might bring a small tray-like thingy for him to work on. We have a cloth book that my kids like with Bible stories in it and manipulatives for each one. Good luck.

Definitely get him something to do. Books that are especially for Mass, TammyS has a good suggestion for a blank book, whatever you find at the Catholic store. If you think the beads might fall all over, you might bring a small tray-like thingy for him to work on. We have a cloth book that my kids like with Bible stories in it and manipulatives for each one. Good luck.

He is not the least bit interested in books or drawing - ever (not just at Mass; he doesn't sit still to do these things at home either, lol).

I will definitely look into a tray. I didn't even think about that.

He is not the least bit interested in books or drawing - ever (not just at Mass; he doesn't sit still to do these things at home either, lol).

I will definitely look into a tray. I didn't even think about that.

If you need to, let him sit on the floor with it--I'm in the camp of whatever you need to do, you do. He'll be more able to settle down as he gets older. You know what will likely keep his interest. Just do that :D how about something like a feltboard?

If you need to, let him sit on the floor with it--I'm in the camp of whatever you need to do, you do. He'll be more able to settle down as he gets older. You know what will likely keep his interest. Just do that :D how about something like a feltboard?

He would love a felt board - he would feel the need to explain it... to everyone... :tongue_smilie:.

He's actually a very well behaved child; he just wants to be... excited... about everything. Including yelling randomly at Father (silly things like "hi!" or "like your castle!").

Yes, I'd definitely bring something quiet for him to do. I've had some 3 year olds who have sat well during mass (ironically, my boys), and some (the girls) who were almost 5 before they could make it through mass without something to keep them occupied. I've also found that sitting up front so that they can see EVERYTHING helps a lot, but even with that, some need something to do -- my youngest still does the activities in her Magnifikid missal during the homily.

We are blessed with it. He is a wonderful man and offers the class for free but for the cost of the book (Cambridge Course - which is very affordable anyway).

Most with young preschoolers like my own just head straight to the cry room. Lol. Which is exactly what I've resorted to doing recently :tongue_smilie:.

First off, I am so totally jealous of your mid-day Latin mass and priest giving lessons. I'm paying an arm and a leg for lessons and my priests just roll their eyes about it.

I would do the beads...cuz when he drops them, they are going to make an awful ruckus. But get him something, yes. Like a blank book and a pencil to draw in it? Also, try sitting really close up front. It helps if they see what is going on. When you are singing or praying, whisper it into his ear. Point at the hymnals and missals and see if he'll follow along. He might not, but it's worth a shot. If you can, sit near some sympathetic friends who are willing to play "pass the baby". Going to different people might be interesting enough to entertain him.

:grouphug: My youngest is two. It gets better.

I would definitely bring him something to do... and I'd also sit near the door so I'd have an easy escape in case things turned ugly. :D

Mass is interminably long and boring for a lot of kids, but for a 3yo, it's practically a lifetime. And for crying out loud, they expect you to be quiet for all that time! :eek:

I think it's absolutely reasonable to bring something for him to do.

Kiddo's behavior at Mass improved dramatically when we moved to the VERY FRONT ROW! It was the pastor's idea and worked. Kiddo could see everything. When he started to get distracted, we could point out and name all that interesting and shiny stuff.

The other thing that helped was taking him out to the car, and sitting there and waiting for the next Mass, so he could "try again." We usually went to the first Mass of the day, and I pointed out that there were 4 later Masses in town so he would have plenty of opportunity. He was 2 1/2. We only had to do this once and that was the last time we ever had to take a child out (not counting infants). He must have told his siblings about it. They weren't always perfectly behaved but they weren't disturbing the whole place either.

I would also just add that it helps if YOU don't get stressed about disrupting the place, because kids pick up on that somehow and get worse, not better. Reality, almost all priests are thrilled for there to be little ones at mass, and don't mind the noise until it reaches the screaming level. Jesus said "let the little children come unto me". Well, at mass that priest is "in persona Christi", so I'm sure he's thrilled for your little one to be there.

We are very lucky that our church does faith formation classes during mass until 1st grade so the kids aren't even expected to be at mass (except for during the summer) but when the girls are with us during mass I usually bring something for them to do quietly. I love the beading kit idea and I'm going to see if I can find one. I usually bring coloring books and crayons, the lacing cards, my oldest 6 finger knits.

I think you're lucky to have a crying room. I've never had that option. We actually ended up moving to a church with a nursery when our third came, as I was tired of tag-team attending mass with my dh. I think you'll be home-free pretty soon, and just have this year to make it through before your little guy will be fine. A felt board sounds really neat.

I think you're lucky to have a crying room. I've never had that option. We actually ended up moving to a church with a nursery when our third came, as I was tired of tag-team attending mass with my dh. I think you'll be home-free pretty soon, and just have this year to make it through before your little guy will be fine. A felt board sounds really neat.

Home free. Sounds so sweet.

... until the 4 month old grows into a toddler monster too. I'll have a year or two of blissful Mass before the tiniest of tyrants decides to join rank with his older brother. Lol.

Betty Lukens felts, lacing kit, cloth books. That got us through quite a bit when my son was 3. I did have to leave Mass with him sometimes. The rule was, if I had to take him out, he spent the rest of the time sitting quietly buckled into his car seat. No talking allowed.

There is a woman at our parish who has three very young, active sons. They really do remarkably well. I noticed the for the most challenging one, she sometimes brings her ipad and earbuds. It looks like he is listening to audio kids books on it. (Just be sure they don't disconnect the earbuds!) I don't know if I would do that, but I have to say, it really works well (for the rest of us! LOL)

This too shall pass.

:iagree: Do whatever you need to do. I had to glue dd's mouth shut with fruit snacks during the homily until she was almost 5. :D