Menu

Sassafras Science Adventures

Marsha

My 3rd grade DD is using this as a mostly-independent science program. She loves the story and has no problem reading a chapter in one sitting. I have her read the chapter on Mondays, read encyclopedia entries or library books about the habitat or specific animals two or three days per week, then one day of just notebook work. We might do a little bit of notebook work on the reading days as well. If it weren't for the fact that she doesn't want anything spelled wrong in her notebook she would be able to do that pretty much by herself, but since it really bugs her that she doesn't know how to spell a lot of words she wants to use, I scribe for her to a great extent in the notebook.

I think it is a pretty good program so far - we're on chapter 5 this week. We do other science too but I wanted to make sure she is getting at least a little bit each day even on weeks I totally miss making some of our other science happen!

we do a little bit of BFSU, a little bit of Creek Edge Task Card work *Life Science*, and living books for my younger. I am likely going to buy this as he likes to do work independently and likes to switch around. Along with his Young Scientist Club kits, I think he'll be satisfied. For now. :tongue_smilie:

We got the Kindle sample and started it as a read aloud last week. My DD has been asking for it every night and now we are at the end of the sample, so I guess we will have to buy!

We are not doing any of the lessons with it as we are studying habitats with another program.

My dc really love the book! It actually inspired my dd 6 to write her own similar adventure story. They are very excited when its time for science. We're doing it with the TM, the logbook and the DK Animal Encyclopedia. We like it.

I can only find volume one - are there more or more to come?

From what I've read they're planning to do 8 volumes in all (releasing a new one about every 10mths or so). They expect each volume (18 chapters) to take half a school year to complete.