Menu

Dream box math

JOHNNABONNA

We've only used it at Kindergarten level so I'm not sure how it is with the higher grades; so far it's super repetitive (which could be good for a child who's struggling in math). Keep in mind it doesn't teach; it's very much just supplemental exercises. The animations are all very cute & my DD is always asking to "play on Dreambox".

We like it very much here. I think it does teach some in the higher grades. It doesn't teach like Khan Academy, but there are definitely explanations for how to do the problems and why. It covers the four basic operations very well but doesn't include measurement, time, or graphing.

I ordered it as a a treat for the kids for this year. They like it well enough but it does seem very repetitive which is only frustrating because I thought it was supposed to adjust the child. Also, my gr 4 student feels kind of ripped off because her section isn't as fun as the early elementary that has games and such.

We have been using it for over 8 months now. It is a great supplementary program with cute animation, great presentation, great themes etc.

One thing though, it does not teach. It trains you on concepts that you know by repetition. So, sometimes, I need to sit with DS to explain concepts before he moves to another level because there is no introduction to basic concepts before you can start playing with it. For e.g. DS who is 5 did not know anything about negative numbers and since he had crossed all the stages in his grade level, he unlocked the next level and started crying in frustration because he just could not understand all the games with all the new concepts. And there is no way that you can restrict your child to a certain grade level.

So, parental intervention is a must in order to successfully use it. But, it is such a slickly produced product that it is worth the money. We used the HSBC discount to get ours.

I ordered it as a a treat for the kids for this year. They like it well enough but it does seem very repetitive which is only frustrating because I thought it was supposed to adjust the child. Also, my gr 4 student feels kind of ripped off because her section isn't as fun as the early elementary that has games and such.

If she's interested in playing the arcade games, choose "play as a parent" earn her (or have her earn) a bunch of tokens and she can do it that way.

• 2 weeks later...

My sons love dreambox. My 6 year old doesn't like me to teach him. I tried using Singapore Math and he really rebelled against my going over things with him. But once he started Dreambox he was willing to supplement with Singapore Math once I told him it would help him progress in Dreambox. I did also have to breakout some manipulatives for him to get through the place value portion.

It's true that I need to listen and know when he needs "a tip." But a lot of times he just got it with repetition. A big help to our relationship as he is willing to have me instruct him once he realizes he's at a concept he is not going to get on his own.

I was leary about all the game portion. And sometimes I get annoyed when they spend a lot of time in non-learning portions. But I also notice that DS1 will go and "decompress" when he isn't getting something then returns back to working on his own. I think he gets discouraged when he doesn't automatically get something, then goes and looks at videos of his rewards for finishing other adventures. Once his ego is boosted back up he goes back and tries the math games again.