Menu

IEW - Anyone just do themes? Plus MCT question

MrsBanjoClown

I know that it would be better to get the whole package and do SWI-A first, but is it absolutely necessary? Has anyone just purchased the theme-based lessons and used them successfully?

Second question: If I do MCT Island next year with ds8 (will be in 3rd grade and almost 9), would IEW be too much writing? I was thinking of doing All Things Fun and Fascinating.

I know that it would be better to get the whole package and do SWI-A first, but is it absolutely necessary? Has anyone just purchased the theme-based lessons and used them successfully?

Second question: If I do MCT Island next year with ds8 (will be in 3rd grade and almost 9), would IEW be too much writing? I was thinking of doing All Things Fun and Fascinating.

:bigear:

I used some of a theme-based book last year after completing TWSS that summer. I am doing SWI-A in a group this year. I am a person who was not confident in my ability to teach writing, though. I really think you need to do TWSS to understand the program well enough to teach even a theme-based book.

I watched TWSS about 13 yrs ago and taught from that (cuase that's what there was) until theme books came along and then have used them exclusively when doing IEW form 3rd graders through high school, in group settings. LOVE them.

I don't think you need the SWC's at all. I've learned a ton by teaching IEW.

Don't use MCT- though many friends do so can't speak to that.

Did teach 3rd graders with Fairy Tales and Myths last year and had a blast.

I don't know - I think you could use it without TWSS. We did SWI-B last year (never used TWSS) before using a theme-based book this year. It was definitely helpful, and I'm sure TWSS would have been even more helpful. But I don't think either is necessary for teaching the theme-based books. I really like the layout and explanations. Yes, you'd be a better teacher with TWSS. But I think using just the theme-based books is also a very good option for teaching writing.

I guess the question is...assuming no TWSS existed, would the theme-based books on their own be a good choice for teaching writing?

We are using the ancient history-themed IEW book this year and we've done the first two levels of MCT. I think I'd try to watch the TWSS DVDs if you could borrow them before teaching the theme-based writing, but kids wouldn't need prior experience, if that makes sense. The Fables and Myths is a great one to start with.

We did no writing with MCT. I loved *reading* the writing book, but we didn't do the exercises. I much prefer a combination of Writing With Ease and IEW.

I guess the question is...assuming no TWSS existed, would the theme-based books on their own be a good choice for teaching writing?

No. It would be really difficult to successfully teach the program without understanding it- it's a front end load plan. The theme books will be confusing if you don't understand the program.

We used one of the US History themed books without the DVDs. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory. I have never looked at the one the OP mentioned so I can't comment on that particular book.

When I looked at the samples, I thought it seemed pretty self-explanatory. Hmm..I would really like to use it, but the other replies have me thinking I need to watch the dvd's, and I don't know anyone I could borrow from. I'm glad I've got some time to think on this!

I have never seen any of the IEW DVDs and did All Things Fun and Fascinating last year with ds10. I just had a generally idea of how the program worked before we started. I did a lot of reading online about the program. I joined the IEW yahoo group and read a lot of good info there. I think one of the biggest helps while going through the theme book was the free webinars. http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/webinar-archive There's one for each unit.

I don't have any experience with MCT, but with ATFF we had plenty of time to do other writing assignments.

If your set on using the theme books without having been trained in the IEW method via the TWSS I would recommend that you, at the very least, purchase the overview DVD that you can buy for about $10 from the IEW website.

TWSS has an excellent resale value though. Once you've watched the DVDs and have become comfortable teaching the methods in each unit you can sell it for up to 80% of the cost.

When I looked at the samples, I thought it seemed pretty self-explanatory. Hmm..I would really like to use it, but the other replies have me thinking I need to watch the dvd's, and I don't know anyone I could borrow from. I'm glad I've got some time to think on this!

I guess others disagree with me, but I think you could definitely do it without the DVDs, that it is self-explanatory and not confusing. I do think you may not get as MUCH out of it as you would if you watched the DVDs, but that doesn't mean it is confusing or not worth doing. I vote go for it.

I guess others disagree with me, but I think you could definitely do it without the DVDs, that it is self-explanatory and not confusing. I do think you may not get as MUCH out of it as you would if you watched the DVDs, but that doesn't mean it is confusing or not worth doing. I vote go for it.

:iagree:

No. It would be really difficult to successfully teach the program without understanding it- it's a front end load plan. The theme books will be confusing if you don't understand the program.

I disagree. I don't think the books will be confusing without the DVDs. I agree that the parent/teacher will not have as deep of an understanding of the program, but that is different than being confused and not understanding how to implement and teach the writing course.

I disagree. I don't think the books will be confusing without the DVDs. I agree that the parent/teacher will not have as deep of an understanding of the program, but that is different than being confused and not understanding how to implement and teach the writing course.

:iagree:

I forgot that along with the theme book I had also bought the Structure and Style book by Webster, because I don't like to watch Dvds, and the book is a lot cheaper. It's a bit tedious but if you want a teacher resource for IEW it's useful.

http://www.christianbook.com/blended-structure-and-style-in-composition/james-webster/pd/123640X