Menu

Brisket~

That's a good one. I was also going to suggest crockpot with Coca-Cola and peppercorns.

But if it's a corned beef brisket then just throw in a crockpot with potatoes, carrots and cabbage for 6 hours and call that puppy a meal.

I'm not sure about that recipe. It somewhat "fool-proof" being wrapped the whole time in foil with a lot of marinade. But this is a wet-heat braise, rather than an approximation of a Texas BBQ. I slow BBQ/smoke full packers-cut briskets at 210-220 for 18 hrs. This recipe won't approximate that.

If it had to be foil wrapped I think it should be done mid-cook after the meat develops a brown crust and w/o a wet marinade if one wants something more Texas style. Not that this "braise" wouldn't be delicious...mmm, brisket.

But are they serious about 1/4 cup of liquid smoke? Way too much!

I'm also skeptical of the cooking time. 4 hrs seems short (and I'd prefer a lower temp). Brisket needs to slow cook until the internal temp of the meat hits 195-200. Then it should rest wrapped in foil inside an ice chest for an hour to absorb the juice.

A braised brisket is probably a lot safer first brisket experience than a dry roasted low-and-slow one, but it isn't Texas BBQ.

Bill

I'm not sure about that recipe. It somewhat "fool-proof" being wrapped the whole time in foil with a lot of marinade. But this is a wet-heat braise, rather than an approximation of a Texas BBQ. I slow BBQ/smoke full packers-cut briskets at 210-220 for 18 hrs. This recipe won't approximate that.

If it had to be foil wrapped I think it should be done mid-cook after the meat develops a brown crust and w/o a wet marinade if one wants something more Texas style. Not that this "braise" wouldn't be delicious...mmm, brisket.

But are they serious about 1/4 cup of liquid smoke? Way too much!

I'm also skeptical of the cooking time. 4 hrs seems short (and I'd prefer a lower temp). Brisket needs to slow cook until the internal temp of the meat hits 195-200. Then it should rest wrapped in foil inside an ice chest for an hour to absorb the juice.

A braised brisket is probably a lot safer first brisket experience than a dry roasted low-and-slow one, but it isn't Texas BBQ.

Bill

She doesn't have a grill, BBQ or smoker in her NYC apartment. That is why she's the homesick Texan. IME, most people in the region wrap in foil, braise on the BBQ, then cook on a hot BBQ at the end to get the crust. The problem with brisket is that it is an unforgiving piece of meat. Do it wrong and it will be tough. Better to go with braising for a first attempt, IMO.

She doesn't have a grill, BBQ or smoker in her NYC apartment. That is why she's the homesick Texan. IME, most people in the region wrap in foil, braise on the BBQ, then cook on a hot BBQ at the end to get the crust. The problem with brisket is that it is an unforgiving piece of meat. Do it wrong and it will be tough. Better to go with braising for a first attempt, IMO.

Braising is safer, I agree, but it ain't BBQ.

Bill

Braising is safer, I agree, but it ain't BBQ.

Bill

Where did anyone say that it was? You are arguing with yourself, Bill, lol.

The blog I linked to is called the Homesick Texan, that is the only place Texas is mentioned. The recipe title is "oven baked brisket." The OP didn't ask for a BBQ recipe, she asked for a brisket recipe, and this is a pretty decent one. I am from Oklahoma, my hubby is from Texas. Brisket is a normal Sunday dinner, slow braised in the oven (while you are at church) all over those two states. And no, nobody said it was BBQ. We know what BBQ is, we live in NC now for Pete's sake. :lol:

I adjusted the recipe, but I adjust almost all recipes because they are often too salty for our taste.

The blog I linked to is called the Homesick Texan, that is the only place Texas is mentioned. The recipe title is "oven baked brisket." The OP didn't ask for a BBQ recipe, she asked for a brisket recipe, and this is a pretty decent one. I am from Oklahoma, my hubby is from Texas. Brisket is a normal Sunday dinner, slow braised in the oven (while you are at church) all over those two states. And no, nobody said it was BBQ. We know what BBQ is, we live in NC now for Pete's sake. :lol:

I adjusted the recipe, but I adjust almost all recipes because they are often too salty for our taste.

You think one grows up in Los Angeles and doesn't know from braised brisket? Gedempte Fleisch is a Shabbos favorite here. Braised brisket is delicious and almost fool-proof if you keep the cooking temps down and the cooking time long. And it is best to monitor the internal temp to make sure you get it up over the plateau stage (where the internal temp stalls at 165-180) because if one pulls the brisket at that point it will be tough. The internal temp needs to spike to break down the collagen. When that happens the result is delicious, whether braised or BBQed.

But the linked recipe has a technique for braised brisket (one with a mistake I will get to) that—rather than going with the natural goodness of braised brisket—advises dousing a 4 lb brisket (a very small cut) with between 1/4 and (gasp) 1/2 a CUP of liquid smoke? Are you kidding me???? A quarter to a half a Tablespoon might be forgivable as a "cheat" but half a cup of liquid smoke would ruin the dish. And the liquid smoke would not transform braised brisket into Texas BBQ.

And braised brisket will never be optimal unless the meat is seared first. The browning creates flavor compounds that are essential for a superlative brisket (but who could taste anything over a half a cup of liquid smoke? :D).

Braising is a good introduction to brisket. This recipe just has some wonky elements.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

:iagree: I wouldn't have assumed she wanted bbq brisket. She just asked for brisket recipes AND stated she'd never cooked one before. Brisket can be done many wonderful ways that are not bbq. Bbq is a whole 'nother thing entirely.

I also asked to clarify if she bought a regular or corned one. In some areas of the country (and I don't know where mouse lives) you can find the corned ones everywhere, but rarely a regular one, while in other areas it is vice versa. You can't do much else with a corned one other than braise it. A regular one gives you lots of options, including corning it yourself if you want and if you have a few days before you want to eat it.

Besides, if there's one thing an Okie would know... it's how to cook a brisket ten ways from Sunday. That's where I learned to cook mine (non-corned, that is. I learned the joys of corned beef brisket in Florida.)

If someone doesn't know how to cook a brisket I pretty much know they don't have a smoker. People who have smokers stick everything in it. "Hey look! I smoked a chicken, salmon, half a cow, bacon, kabobs, shrimp, a pineapple and a birthday cake!"

I usually do the can of coke thing if I am cooking brisket in the oven. I don't use liquid smoke but I just don't happen to care for it.

http://www.marthastewart.com/317524/brisket-of-beef

Edited by Sis

Besides, if there's one thing an Okie would know... it's how to cook a brisket ten ways from Sunday. That's where I learned to cook mine (non-corned, that is. I learned the joys of corned beef brisket in Florida.)

Thank you, LOL!! :lol:

If someone doesn't know how to cook a brisket I pretty much know they don't have a smoker. People who have smokers stick everything in it. "Hey look! I smoked a chicken, salmon, half a cow, bacon, kabobs, shrimp, a pineapple and a birthday cake!"

No kidding. People and their smokers. Not to mention the, "hm, I need to go kill several things so that I can put more things in my smoker" crowd. Don't even get me started on them. No, I'm not eating your smoked squirrel! :tongue_smilie:

:bigear:

I have eaten -- and even made -- many a braised brisket in my day, nearly all of which have left me thinking, "Eh, I would have preferred roast chicken."

Then I moved to Tennessee and received a brisket from the Amish farmer that supplies my CSA, which surprised me no end. Further research revealed that brisket has a whole alternate identity as as barbecue down here. Who knew? Anyway, I have yet to figure out how to actually make this, so the aforementioned brisket (plus a second one) sits in my freezer.

You think one grows up in Los Angeles and doesn't know from braised brisket? Gedempte Fleisch is a Shabbos favorite here. Braised brisket is delicious and almost fool-proof if you keep the cooking temps down and the cooking time long. And it is best to monitor the internal temp to make sure you get it up over the plateau stage (where the internal temp stalls at 165-180) because if one pulls the brisket at that point it will be tough. The internal temp needs to spike to break down the collagen. When that happens the result is delicious, whether braised or BBQed.

But the linked recipe has a technique for braised brisket (one with a mistake I will get to) that—rather than going with the natural goodness of braised brisket—advises dousing a 4 lb brisket (a very small cut) with between 1/4 and (gasp) 1/2 a CUP of liquid smoke? Are you kidding me???? A quarter to a half a Tablespoon might be forgivable as a "cheat" but half a cup of liquid smoke would ruin the dish. And the liquid smoke would not transform braised brisket into Texas BBQ.

And braised brisket will never be optimal unless the meat is seared first. The browning creates flavor compounds that are essential for a superlative brisket (but who could taste anything over a half a cup of liquid smoke? :D).

Braising is a good introduction to brisket. This recipe just has some wonky elements.

You know, people frequently post recipes that I think are wonky, according to my own preferences. But, I don't say anything about their recipe, I just post my own recipe that I think is superior. :lol:

No kidding. People and their smokers. Not to mention the, "hm, I need to go kill several things so that I can put more things in my smoker" crowd. Don't even get me started on them. No, I'm not eating your smoked squirrel! :tongue_smilie:

I know! If dh actually hunted I would certainly invest in a smoker but there are certain lines. :lol:

:bigear:

I have eaten -- and even made -- many a braised brisket in my day, nearly all of which have left me thinking, "Eh, I would have preferred roast chicken."

Then I moved to Tennessee and received a brisket from the Amish farmer that supplies my CSA, which surprised me no end. Further research revealed that brisket has a whole alternate identity as as barbecue down here. Who knew? Anyway, I have yet to figure out how to actually make this, so the aforementioned brisket (plus a second one) sits in my freezer.

You need a smoker to do BBQ brisket the right way. Alton Brown has decent instructions for making one out of terra cotta pots, if you don't have one.

What kind do you have? It is a regular brisket or a corned beef brisket?

Regular. I know from my Irish Nana how to make corned beef and cabbage-it is one of my most favorite meals.

It's the braised that intimidates me. BBQ? Sorry, that's beyond me now. That would take years of research and tweaking to get right and frankly, I'm not that interested in making it, just eating it. :tongue_smilie:

I make this. It's too sweet as written; I use a little less than 1/2 cup brown sugar. Otherwise, it's perfect.

THis might be doable?

This is exactly what I've heard, and why I'm skeert.

Bill

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

:iagree: I wouldn't have assumed she wanted bbq brisket. She just asked for brisket recipes AND stated she'd never cooked one before. Brisket can be done many wonderful ways that are not bbq. Bbq is a whole 'nother thing entirely.

I also asked to clarify if she bought a regular or corned one. In some areas of the country (and I don't know where mouse lives) you can find the corned ones everywhere, but rarely a regular one, while in other areas it is vice versa. You can't do much else with a corned one other than braise it. A regular one gives you lots of options, including corning it yourself if you want and if you have a few days before you want to eat it.

There are TONS of corned briskets here, you are right. (But I'm always willing to learn to do it myself!) and I am just looking for a regular? recipe. I guess braised? Something I can serve for Sunday dinner.

I usually do the can of coke thing if I am cooking brisket in the oven. I don't use liquid smoke but I just don't happen to care for it.

http://www.marthastewart.com/317524/brisket-of-beef

:lol: No, no smoker, though I really do want one. I have a cousin with one and you are right, he'd smoke anything in it. :D

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

Brisket can be messed up, that is true. It can be tough as shoe leather if done wrong. But doing it right is not rocket science. It just needs to be cooked long and slow.

If it is going to be braised most cooks use a cooking liquid that is mildly acidic to help tenderize the meat. That is why some recipes include apple cider vinegar, some have wine, and some have (gasp) Coca-cola. But you can use whatever suits you. Once you understand why you use a technique or ingredient you can improvise. You like tomato juice, go for it. You want beer, follow your bliss.

It is good to sear/brown the brisket before you braise it. Try to keep the temp 250 or less. The brisket is a tough hard working muscle, but when cooked low and slow it hits a point where the collagen melts and the meat gets incredibly tender. A thermometer really helps with this. There are ones made by Polder that have dual temp readouts (internal meat temp and oven temp) with a wire atrached to a probe. The probe goes in the meat, and the wire come out of the oven (the oven door closes on it) and goes to a read out display box.

As I said previously, the internal temp will stall-out at 165-180 for a good long while (it is not done). Then it will "spike" rather suddenly up to 195-200ish. This is when it is ready for a "rest." If you slice it immediately all the juice will run and it will be sub-optimal (or worse). Wrap it in foil and put it in a Lil Playmate cooler for an hour or so. Then slice across the grain.

The single biggest issue is letting the brisket cook slowly and long enough. If one does not have a thermomether you can poke the brisket with a finger. If it feels hard, it is not done. When you poke it and it "gives" it is ready to pull and rest.

The seasonings are a matter of taste. Onions, garlic, carrots, whatever. I personally would not advise a half-a-cup of liquid smoke, as that is beyond excessive IMO, but with-in reason you can flavor the brisket and the brasing liquid as you will. The key cook it slowly and to get the internal temp above the stall. That is when the magic happens.

Bill