Menu

Egg substitute?

Oh I'm an egg replacing pro LOL...dd was sensitive to eggs her fist several years.

ground flax gives a nice nutty/earthy flavour. I use 1 tblsp per 3 water. Nuke a few seconds and it gels right away. When I do this I up the baking powder by a 1/4 tsp or so because it makes the batter a bit heavier.

Egg replacer is pricey but lasts a LONG time and works well without adding flavor or changing the consistency as much.

I know what you mean about the egg count. I don't like using a dozen eggs in a recipe.

What are you making? You can also just replace some of the eggs if you are ok using some.

Another thing is xanthum gum. If you are making gluten free AND egg free, this is the holy grail of baking. I use it in so many things! Even a pinch in homemade salad dressings. IT's pricey but again, lasts FOREVER because you use such a tiny amount.

Edited by 425lisamarie

It is mainly for breads made with coconut/almond flour. I found a recipe I LOVE and want to add different things to it for different flavors. BUT, it takes six eggs for one small loaf! With almond flour being so expensive, I was going to buy 25 lbs of it to cut the price way back, less than half per lb, but am afraid to because I won't support the egg industry but will use my own eggs. My hens are lazy.:tongue_smilie:

I will go look at the ingredients in egg replacer and read the link attached. Thanks, ladies!

Lisa, I did buy xantham gum last week and it IS expensive! But are you saying that if I soak flax in boiling or hot water and it thickens, this can be used as a replacement, at least for some of the eggs?

i dont think you can do much about the eggs in the coconut flour recipes. so you are trying to be egg free and grain free? i use coconut and almond flours in some of my mixes, but not by themselves. and baking really was never as good without eggs. flax was best imo, and if you need to sub for several eggs, use several egg subs. i think one was oil and bs?

I used to be egg free. Depending on the recipe I used egg replacer (which I think has a lot of tapioca starch) or tofu. I used tofu in quick breads and cakes. I remember one block of tofu being equivalent to 4 eggs. You kind of beat up the tofu. It worked well. This was before I realized I was allergic to soy (kept breaking out in hives every time I ate something I baked).

Wheat and egg free baking is tough. I've never had terribly much success replacing more than two eggs in a recipe.

My go to replacements are:

Flax

Half a banana per egg (I usually do this in baked oatmeal and muffins)

1/4is cup of applesauce per egg (if I don't want banana flavor)

Ener g egg replacer (if I don't want to taste any of the above)

It is mainly for breads made with coconut/almond flour. I found a recipe I LOVE and want to add different things to it for different flavors. BUT, it takes six eggs for one small loaf! With almond flour being so expensive, I was going to buy 25 lbs of it to cut the price way back, less than half per lb, but am afraid to because I won't support the egg industry but will use my own eggs. My hens are lazy.:tongue_smilie:

I will go look at the ingredients in egg replacer and read the link attached. Thanks, ladies!

Lisa, I did buy xantham gum last week and it IS expensive! But are you saying that if I soak flax in boiling or hot water and it thickens, this can be used as a replacement, at least for some of the eggs?

It gels up right away if it goes in to warm water. Usually I just add it to filtered water and nuke it for like 10 seconds. When it gels it binds the batter better. If it calls for 6 eggs you could easily replace half with the flax.

Xanthum gum has been trial and error for me. Usually for one batch of a bread loaf or small batch of muffins 1/2 tsp is good. I have found as a general rule of thumb that 1/2 tsp xanthum gum mixed with the dry ingredients and increase liquid by a scant 1/4 cup is a good place to start. You can also whip it with water and it looks like egg whites.