Menu

Need book suggestions for Irish history

I would like something mostly focused on Irish history. This is for me, so high school or adult level is fine. I'd like to find something with a balanced overview. Specific titles or authors would be great. The choices on amazon are a little overwhelming. :001_huh:

TIA

There is a very informative middle school level book called Black Potatoes which talks about the Potato Famine. Also there is a book called The Great Hunger (might be more than one book with a title like that, since that is what the Irish called the Potato famine), but anyway there is one that is kind of the seminal book on that great tragedy. Another way to learn really early Irish history is to read their mythology. Also reading about early Irish saints sheds a lot of light on the culture at the time. How the Irish Saved Western Civilization by Thomas Cahill is a popular, easy to read history.

Did Thomas Keaneally write a book on more modern Irish history? (He wrote Schindler's List). I seem to recall that.

Seems to me that I recall googling an Irish history timeline and getting a very nice on line one that really helped sort out the complicated history.

Anyway, don't know if I've been of much help. Have fun, though, it is fascinating stuff!

Not an overview, but we just finished a study on the Book of Kells. It was a fascinating look into the Irish people. I don't know if you will find anything other than a textbook, but perhaps finding a spine and adding in, like we do for history.

Oh--I loved Black Potatoes, also--I had no idea how the whole potato famine thing played out. WP uses it in their Royals to Revolution high school study.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with Ireland's history, but I want to plug my favorite children's book McGillicuddy McGotham by Leonard Wibberly. It's about a leprechaun that comes to New York City and wants an interview with the president. Very Funny.