Menu

Strange math schedule question?

This is xpost from earlier on the four year math requirements. We just found out the same. If I would have known, I would have done Fundamental Math, Pre Alg., Alg, and Geo.

But adviser told me to skip pre alg and there is no way dd can do Alg II. She is squeaking by algebra 1, we go at it everyday.

Here is question, do you think I could take two steps back and give her Pre Algebra for her eleventh grade yr, since we missed it. Or is that big no no.

Any ideas,

Jet

I can't imagine that would go over well -- either with K12, or any college looking at her transcript.

Can you get her a tutor? Will K12 even let her graduate without Algebra 2?

Is there a "consumer math" option, perhaps?

That was my fear. I did ask if she could take math electives like that and she said no. I barely completed Alg 1. So I am going to be no help.

Jet

I think a tutor may be your only option. I know you're hoping she can go to a 4 year liberal arts college, but you're going to be hard pressed to find one that doesn't expect a *minimum* of algebra 2 and geometry in high school...

But you know, having a real live person who "gets" it and enjoys talking students through the problems may really make a huge difference for her.

Jet,

I hope you take this with the kindness I mean it....

I really am afraid you are just pushing this child. It sounds like she just isn't an 11th grader which I really think should be just fine. A lot of kids take Algebra for the first time at 14 and struggle through it but it eventually works out.

Can I tell you a little of my own story? I was put in an alternative learning setting (long story) in 7th grade. There, I was completely able to go my own pace and did all of 7th through 11th grades in the following year and a half. My math was a little slower. I "just" did pre-algebra then algebra there. When I went back to public school in high school, they wouldn't accept my Algebra credit so I had to take it again my freshman year (I was 14, almost 15). I made straight 99s that year and thought that was proof of how much I shouldn't have had to take it again. However, later, I realized how beneficial that extra year was for me. And it was. So much so that when my own children have had to take pre-algebra and up more than once also. And though I've heard a little groaning about it, the benefits are OBVIOUS.

I really hope that you take this in the light in which I mean it. Seriously, there is no race to have her finish high school. And really, most colleges would not consider maths under Algebra to be high school level to count in their math requirements anyway (so if a college says 3 maths, they mean Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II or higher). Even colleges that take lower ability level students probably wouldn't take an underage student who doesn't have the above. Our college here will only take someone under 18 if they pass the entrance exam (which means they have high enough skills to do College Algebra and Trigonometry).

Your daughter is only 14. For her to start Algebra again is NOT a bad thing. For her to be considered a 10th grader because of lack of enough credits to be considered higher is a BLESSING in disguise for y'all, I believe.

Let her be a bright teenager and excel the next 3 or so years instead of struggle through the next 2 years. It does not mean anything against you or her to do this. For example, my son is VERY bright. However, he's not academically advanced generally. He has things he's bright about and things he struggles with. That doesn't change his IQ, his brightness, etc. It does mean he's not likely to be 15 in college like his sister. AND THAT IS OKAY! I'd rather his foundation be very firm and him go the pace, depth, breadth that HE personally needs.

Please don't be offended. And please consider the above carefully in making further decisions for your dd...and possibly for the younger one also.

Your daughter is only 14. For her to start Algebra again is NOT a bad thing. For her to be considered a 10th grader because of lack of enough credits to be considered higher is a BLESSING in disguise for y'all, I believe.

Let her be a bright teenager and excel the next 3 or so years instead of struggle through the next 2 years. It does not mean anything against you or her to do this. For example, my son is VERY bright. However, he's not academically advanced generally. He has things he's bright about and things he struggles with. That doesn't change his IQ, his brightness, etc. It does mean he's not likely to be 15 in college like his sister. AND THAT IS OKAY! I'd rather his foundation be very firm and him go the pace, depth, breadth that HE personally needs.

:iagree::iagree: I took Algebra I when I was 14 and didn't get it at all. I kept plugging away, but I just wasn't ready to go at the pace everyone else was going at. I did manage to squeak through Geometry and Alg. II, but I never really knew what I was doing. Just slow down the pace and really go over all the concepts well. It is more important to understand what you are doing than to just finish the book.

This is xpost from earlier on the four year math requirements. We just found out the same. If I would have known, I would have done Fundamental Math, Pre Alg., Alg, and Geo.

But adviser told me to skip pre alg and there is no way dd can do Alg II. She is squeaking by algebra 1, we go at it everyday.

Here is question, do you think I could take two steps back and give her Pre Algebra for her eleventh grade yr, since we missed it. Or is that big no no.

Any ideas,

Jet

Hi Jet,

I would hop over to the Saxon math website and have my child take a placement test. If she places into prealgebra that means that she does not have the skills it takes to be successful in algebra. It doesn't do any good to start algebra I if your child hasn't mastered adding, subtracting and dividing fractions.

If she misses questions on graphing or percentages I wouldn't worry so much because algebra will teacher her graphing, and you will have to stop and review percentages if you do MIXING word problems.

Depending on the algebra program that you use they may teach negative numbers from the ground up, Jacob's does, and so you might not need negative numbers from pre algebra either, but you really need to get those fractions down cold!

One idea is to fast track this with "KEYS TO" algebra, pick up percentages also if she is weak in that area. No messing around with these, no slow pacing, work on weekends, do two or three lessons a day.

Also, your daughter is old enough to be motivated o do the extra work that it takes to get into college. Due to a lousy math background (I changed schools 10 times in 12 years) I ended up going to the public library and on my own and studied algebra every weekend so that I could do better on the ACT. Getting into college was important to me and I made doing what it takes priority. This was not my parents pushing me to study extra, I just was I wouldn't do well.

The good news is that once self-motivated she can do this work in double time. Some 16 year olds take algebra in community college and that can amount to high school algebra I and II in four months--so I know that a high school student could do it in one academic year.

I would use a mastery program such as Foersters so that I could do every other problem, or every third problem if I was catching on.

Pamela,

Thanks for your reply, I totally respect your opinions, they are totally helpful.

I have sat her down and talked with her about extending her high school and she says she can handle it. This yr. will definitely be an experiment. She totally aced K12 when she was in it and was bored. But with Apex she had a lot of challenging work. So maybe it wont be too tough of a schedule. Depending on deadlines.

She really wants to graduate by sixteen, that is totally her. The other dd is different, she has no problem taking things slow and steady and I respect that too.

If Int. does not work this yr. we are going elsewhere or cutting back and doing some cc classes.

Jet

I have sat her down and talked with her about extending her high school and she says she can handle it. ...

She really wants to graduate by sixteen, that is totally her...

I understand that your daughter *wants* to graduate at sixteen, but that doesn't matter if she's unable to do the *work*. And that includes math.

I really don't understand. You say she wants to go to a 4 year college, but she's not on track to be able to do that right now. If she wants to drop out of home schooled high school without completing a standard high school math and science program, she may be able to go to community college for a couple of years and then transfer to a liberal arts college. But she can't just decide she's "done" with high school because she wants to be and still expect to be able to go directly to a four-year college.

If what she wants is to be able to go directly to the college of her choice, I think you're both going to have to face some hard truths about her current level of (un)preparedness. And fix that. Or alter your expectations.

I understand that your daughter *wants* to graduate at sixteen, but that doesn't matter if she's unable to do the *work*. And that includes math.

I really don't understand. You say she wants to go to a 4 year college, but she's not on track to be able to do that right now. If she wants to drop out of home schooled high school without completing a standard high school math and science program, she may be able to go to community college for a couple of years and then transfer to a liberal arts college. But she can't just decide she's "done" with high school because she wants to be and still expect to be able to go directly to a four-year college.

If what she wants is to be able to go directly to the college of her choice, I think you're both going to have to face some hard truths about her current level of (un)preparedness. And fix that. Or alter your expectations.

Perhaps I didnt express myself properly. She is not off track because she is unable to do all work or unprepared. It was a change of schools and unproper planning on both parts. That is why we are behind. The only skills she is lacking, is math which is going to be a challenge. The other challenge is crunching two years of difficult subjects. This doesnt have to do with ability, or expectations.

Now we are having to play major catch up , which is going to be tough, but doable. Although these next two years with heavy schedule might just look great on a transcript for a four yr. college.

Does that explain it better,

Jet

She is not off track because she is unable to do all work or unprepared.

I'm POSITIVE the other post did not mean offense towards you or your daughter. Your daughter, due to circumstances, IS off-track as you admit. She's about average for her age for math though "squeaking by" so may do well to spend a little more time/effort there. And she is behind in credits for the grade level y'all want her to be considered. And because of y'all being unaware about credits, she's also not yet had a full class load to prove she's capable of that (but I do believe she probably can). Regardless of the REASONS for these things, they are true nonetheless.

Now, I personally think she should take 3 years, get a full high school education, and go to college at 17 with a nice transcript. She should do 6-9 courses at a time during that time. She needs to complete Algebra I, Geometry, then Algebra II at very least. If four years of math are required, you may consider Statistics or PreCalculus, the former being a little easier for most people. She also needs to do 3 to 4 sciences, histories, years of foreign language, and electives. She should, during this time, also follow interests, volunteer or work, and be apart of some group or activity. These are the minimums a college is going to look for.

HOWEVER, I saw Ellie's post. Here, an underage student must pass a test proving they can do college level work. They are NOT allowed to do ANY remedial courses at the college. The state already provides a way for kids to get a high school education. But it sounds like it may be possible there for kids to take courses at the college even if they aren't college level yet. This may allow you to stop homeschooling early, allowing her to take these remedial courses to get up to college level outside the home. This may be a great thing because she'd have a counselor through the college to get then keep her on track for her goals. She'd also have teachers who know the subjects so can teach her and help her when she gets stuck.

So though *I* wouldn't take that route, it might be reasonable afterall. Could you look into that a little more? What age/grade does she need to be to take advantage of that? Does the state pay for it in which case it would benefit her not to be considered advanced in grade? When could she start taking advantage of that?

Anyway, again, I'm positive that no one has meant to offend you. It just is that she IS off track for y'all's current goals and somehow the goals need to be amended in order to make them reasonable.

I hope y'all find just the situation that works for your daughter...