Menu

Help!! Dd bombed the psat practice test!

Arrrgh! My daughter, 15, took the PSAT Practice test and bombed! I have her signed up for ALEKS, and she is working on the SAT Mastery math now, but I need help, help, help for the critical reading and writing portions!

She is actually very bright and is headed for a STEM career. She gets As on all of her schoolwork and can remember things easily. She has always done well on standardized testing, until now. Some of the problem is the Chronic Fatigue, but not all of it. I think she zoned out on some of the questions near the end of each section, but others she just totally got wrong. I've always been very strong in English, so I don't know where to start to help her. Do you know of any computerized or computer-study programs that she could start working on that would help? Or does she need a tutor?

Help! I'm freaking out! :willy_nilly:

:chillpill:

:grouphug:

Relax! She's a good student and she will be fine. It was only a practice test. Continue what you're already doing to prepare. I wouldn't hire a tutor at this point.

:)

:iagree: Everyone can have a bad testing day. What was she doing for test prep before she took the PSAT?

We used the McGraw Hill PSAT prep book with good results. We also used College Prep Genius for the SAT. I like CPG because it taught some of the tricks to test taking and there were DVDs for dd to watch. I think a combination of a straight up prep book with a "tricks" program is good.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

She is a sophomore, and she did take the test cold. I know I have a year until it counts, but not sure what to do with that year- that's where my confusion lies. What's worked for your dc?

Just taking practice tests doesn't seem to be the answer- she would learn to deal with the time constraints, but not necessarily learn what she needs to know. I need to teach her the critical reading and making inferences that she's been slacking on lately.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

It's great that she has a year to prep for when the PSAT really counts. Here are the two things that really helped my two oldest with Critical Reading:

- Intense vocabulary study, including roots. I like the book called Vocabulary for the College Bound. Other programs are recommended in the WTM.

- Reading and discussing a lot of quality literature, as recommended in the WTM and Well-Educated Mind. My children were pushed intellectually by reading Plato, Augustine, Dante, Machiavelli, etc.

My two did find that taking practice tests polished their skills, but I agree with you that you need to teach the skills first. They used the Princeton Review and McGraw-Hill prep books and also did the free SAT question of the day.

Best wishes to your daughter in her studying!

That's a relief that she's just a sophomore!

I agree with Moms in the Garden...

Knowing vocab is the most important thing. You can't answer questions if you don't know what they are asking or what the answers really mean with a significant word or two. Finding a program that does Greek and Latin roots is essential. The higher books Wordly-Wise puts out also helped my guys, but be certain they internalize the words, not just a quick in and out memorization.

Then read, read, read. There are several websites online that have guides to go with various classic books, so read along with a guide to be certain to get the nuances in the reading. New vocab words will come through these books too if you choose classic books. Many newer books have lower levels of vocab to be more popular. Google the book title to find a guide.

Some of the problem is the Chronic Fatigue, but not all of it. I think she zoned out on some of the questions near the end of each section, but others she just totally got wrong.

I wonder if there are some minor test-taking mechanics you could help her with that would improve matters. Did she have anything to eat during the test breaks? Sometimes a little blood-sugar boosting can do wonders for these long tests.