Menu

How do you schedule SOTW so that you can finish it in a 36 week academic year?

gandpsmommy

I condensed Vol. 3 down. I looked at the chapters and topics within the chapters, and decided from there which two chapters could be condensed into one week.

We've always spread out the chapter (or combined chapters!) out over the week. It depends on how much extra reading we do, how many extra activities from the AG, how many subsections are in each chapter, and I schedule our week from there. Nothing's written in stone, I schedule each week based on our outside activities, but I'd guess we average SOTW 4x a week total, including outside reading--but that changes too, depending on if I'm reading a longer read aloud related to the topic, if my son is reading a longer book on his own, or if we're using shorter books....

I use Biblioplan which does this for me. It means that some weeks you have more than one chapter of SOTW. In fact, in Biblioplan this situation comes up quite often, as there are usually other weeks that don't have any SOTW at all. It really works out fine. Do one chapter early in the week and another later in the week.

We would read and narrate the chapter one day, do the work on it another day, and read historical literature in an ongoing fashion.

As for finishing the books, we just took a chapter or two each term for "just reading" so that we would finish at the end of the year. I would look ahead and decide which chapters I wanted to "just read".

We ususally do a combination of doubling up and skipping. Sometimes there is a chapter I personally don't agree with or seems much less important, other times there is a chapter we spend 2 weeks on.

I have heard some go through and pick 6 chapters they aren't going to do, then schedule the rest as one a week.

I have found the audio tapes a lifesaver. That way I don't have to spend school time reading the chapter, they can listen at bedtime or in the car, or while I put the baby to sleep. Then we can save my reading out loud time for more fun picture books and historical fiction.

We do it 4x a week. Usually, one or two days for narrations, map work, and projects and two or three days for read alouds.

Double up on some chapters. Kathy has scheduling pages available for a 36 week year on her website here, with chapters of SOTW already written in. (Spaces for readers and read-alouds are left blank for you to fill in.)

That's a great resource, thanks for posting that!

I look through the table of contents and drop 6 of the chapters; then I assign 1 chapter per week. We work on this one chapter 3X a week. Each SOTW chapter is usually broken up into 2 segments. On the 1st day, we read the 1st segment, answer the comprehension questions from the activity guide, and narrate the portion read. On the 2nd day, we do the same as the 1st day except for the 2nd segment. On the 3rd day, we do the mapwork from the activity guide and one other project or coloring page. I have a list of medieval literature books that I want to read, and I just read from that list throughout the year. Some of the books take longer to read than the one week I'm spending on the chapter, but I've decided our history work doesn't have to be a perfect match all of the time. HTH!

Honestly, we don't make it through one book a year, but we also have the audio CDs, and I do read whatever we don't get through during the summer.

Summer is a good catch-up time for us because the boys don't get too used to having no school, but it's real light. This year we finished handwriting, science and history this summer. Well, we still have to finish our ant study, but then we're done with science.

If I were diligent enough to do 30 chapters in one year, I'd read the remaining 6 chapters during the summer -- or pick 6 chapters out ahead of time to read during the summer.

For what it's worth, we do the chapter reading, coloring page and map in one day. The boys color the picture while I read. The next day (s) I read the supplemental literature and do any projects, like History Pockets. This is what takes up our time the most.

During the summer, I make a list of all supplemental literature I may use. I even check the library to see the book first to decide if I want to use it. I also make note of all books I own for the year and any "must buys."

This way, a week before starting a new chapter, I can go to the library to borrow the materials.

We do history every day we homeschool.

What I'm going to do is this. In first year (or grade) I'll be doing 42 weeks, so one chapter a week. My idea is to do history every day. The first day we read the chapter and either narrate or discuss. The second day we work on the Book of Centuries and timeline based on the previous day's story. The third and fourth days we spend reading supplemental fiction and nonfiction, the fifth day we spend doing the activity.

We'll be doing school 42 weeks a year, but we will only report 36 to the state.

Why not spend 1 month reading the entire book aloud and then ask your kids(s) which areas they would like to explore more? You'd cover all the material and then be able to go in-depth (for as long as you want) on the topics they like.

Just an idea

This is actually not a bad idea, but I never would have thought of it on my own. We could read a chapter a day during our reading together time, and we would finish in a little over a month. And then we could explore whatever seemed most interesting. I'll have to ponder this one. Thanks for the idea.

Why not spend 1 month reading the entire book aloud and then ask your kids(s) which areas they would like to explore more? You'd cover all the material and then be able to go in-depth (for as long as you want) on the topics they like.

Just an idea

I have been trying to think how to space out SOTW and I think this could be a good idea. It would work especially well here because I will be doing it with 3 kids. If we did it this way, I could tailor the amount and scope of the "in-depth" stuff. Hmmm....

Thanks for the idea!

Just an idea

Now THAT'S a good idea for me to think about!!!

Thanks!