Menu

going to file as private, but thinking of going to charter...

just wanted to hear some other opinions. we have tried charters (schools that fund the curric of your choice (well mostly) and extra curric class) and VA's (K12, Connections) and we have tried just being on our own. I really like being on our own. Alot. I love the freedom and not having to take state tests or have a teacher take samples, etc. I have found ways to do curric pretty cheaply and I am happy with it. I do keep thinking about how nice it would be to be able to have funds for ink and paper and pencils and art supplies and extra curric classes, etc though. Im not sure if it is really worth it...so i just thought i would see what you all think :)

I have used charters off and on. When we ended up moving to a state where they were no longer an option, I felt a huge sense of relief. I can understand using charters for the benefits, but it can definitely drive the way you homeschool. So, now I'd say, go with the independent option, especially since you said you like it. GL with whatever you decide. :)

just wanted to hear some other opinions. we have tried charters (schools that fund the curric of your choice (well mostly) and extra curric class) and VA's (K12, Connections) and we have tried just being on our own. I really like being on our own. Alot. I love the freedom and not having to take state tests or have a teacher take samples, etc. I have found ways to do curric pretty cheaply and I am happy with it. I do keep thinking about how nice it would be to be able to have funds for ink and paper and pencils and art supplies and extra curric classes, etc though. Im not sure if it is really worth it...so i just thought i would see what you all think :)

I'm currently plotting my escape from our charter, so obviously my vote is to file the PSA.

However, IF your child does well on standardized testing, our charter more or less leaves you to your own devices. In that case, it's not such a bad deal. But, oh good heavens, if your kid scores below proficient on the STAR, be prepared for lots and lots of "help" that, at least in our case, has gotten in the way of actual learning.

IF your child does well on standardized testing, our charter more or less leaves you to your own devices. In that case, it's not such a bad deal.

At least in our charter, there is still a lot of hoop-jumping. :glare:

I got notice last week from our teacher that the administration has added a 3rd test that my kids will need to take at the first monthly meeting. I've been trying to get that requirement waived for my oldest based on her performance on the last 3 years' STAR tests and the stupid AIMSWEB that they have made her take a total of 6 times now. If the point of the AIMSWEB is to identify areas where a student may be struggling prior to them failing the STAR test, the school has got more than enough data to know that it's a waste of everyone's time testing my DD. Our teacher agrees with me but the principal overruled her. :glare:

If we could afford to HS without the stipend and access to the lending library, I'd tell them where they can stick the stupid AIMSWEB :tongue_smilie:

I struggle with this every year!

It is a very hard decision to make, because I think that the extracurricular activities that we do with the charter school money are extremely valuable.

Honestly, though, our charter school is a really good one, and the "hoops" really aren't a big deal.

I think that part of my problem is that I have always used a charter, so I have a "grass is greener" idea about what life would be like if we were independent.

"We would be so free," I think. But honestly, I can't think of anything that I would really change about our homeschooling methods.

Our charter school budget is $1600 per child per year, though. If it was much less than that, I think that I might reconsider.

At least in our charter, there is still a lot of hoop-jumping. :glare:

I got notice last week from our teacher that the administration has added a 3rd test that my kids will need to take at the first monthly meeting. I've been trying to get that requirement waived for my oldest based on her performance on the last 3 years' STAR tests and the stupid AIMSWEB that they have made her take a total of 6 times now. If the point of the AIMSWEB is to identify areas where a student may be struggling prior to them failing the STAR test, the school has got more than enough data to know that it's a waste of everyone's time testing my DD. Our teacher agrees with me but the principal overruled her. :glare:

If we could afford to HS without the stipend and access to the lending library, I'd tell them where they can stick the stupid AIMSWEB :tongue_smilie:

Oh good grief. What a waste of time :tongue_smilie:

At the charter we use, K-2 students do the WRAT test fall/spring (quick and simple), grade 3+ students do edperformance "scan-tron" test fall/spring, as well as STAR test. We also have to turn in 4 or 5 writing samples (based on an assigned prompt). Hate these. Plus, 1 sample from every subject every semester. It's not *that* bad, though it seems like a lot when I write it out like that. But, honestly, no big deal.

However, if, like my older DD, you struggle with the STAR test, there's a "personalized learning improvement plan" (PLIP) that you have to fill out and it usually involves the student being *required* to use Study Island 20 min. a day, other extra "helps" (to be determined by parent/charter) monthly (yes, MONTHLY) assessments in the "weak" area, AND the student has to show progress on these assessments or the charter starts adding even more hoops.

I'm so very, very tired of all of it. This is probably our last yr with them. We're fairly low-income, but I'd rather use simple curriculum and pick one affordable extracurricular activity each, than deal with this junk anymore. The other day, I described life without the charter to them and their eyes lit up. They are SO ready to ditch it.

If I had it to do all over again, there is *no way* I'd sign up with a charter. Our curriculum expenses are fairly low and we could either sacrifice to afford the extras, or simply do without. But, once you're in, it's hard to say goodbye to all the money that you've gotten used to, kwim?

Sorry for the novel. This is obviously an issue near and dear to my heart.

OP: you know yourself and your kids. Whatever decision you make doesn't have to be permanent. Good luck :grouphug:

It sounds like you already know your own preferences. FWIW, we have a very laidback charter. CrimsonWife's charter sounds like a nightmare. My dds are never required to be tested by the charter. They do take the STAR test each year, but even that is not required by the charter. It's possible we might not get funds for curriculum if they don't take the STAR test, but I want them to take it each year, anyway.

The only thing we need to do is meet monthly with our facilitator, and she is a dream -- very supportive and close to my girls. Very hands-off with me as the teacher. We give one sample per subject every other month. This is very easy and I like that my dds' work is very well-documented.

I've never had a problem with ordering exactly what I want/need as far as curriculum goes. We love our charter. My dh is very happy about the funding we get.

I think the key is finding a good charter that is very hands-off. Do your research and ask lots of questions. If you find a charter that seems like a good fit - great! If not, don't do it.

well there are a few choices for charters here, but they all pretty much have the same requirements. scantron tests to start, star tests every spring, a school wide writing assignment every winter (where the grades apparently now count for high school students) a teacher that comes to your house once a month to go through all the stuff you have done and take samples. i hate having a stranger come over every month and waste my time. i have two little ones that need watching (and i need to sit with the person for an hour + to tell them everything we've done.) and we are currently looking at houses so if we buy one that is going to tighten the budget even more. maybe i should just stay private for now until i feel like we really cant live without the funds. i mean it is a bit of a struggle, but we are doing it. i really think state testing is a complete waste of time.

The way it was always discussed at my old homeschool group... Look at it like a job. Figure out roughly how much additional work it will take. What ends up being your pay per hour?

Is that amount worth the infringement on your time and autonomy?

lol, thats a really good way to think about it! thanks!