Menu

::Families of 7 or more::

I consider my two busiest days are already slim on schooling, so I might as well schedule appts on those days. If I truly cannot use those two days, then I shoot for the afternoons on my 3rd or 4th busiest days. As a last desperate resort for dire cant wait stuff - well that can't be scheduled.

Also, don't tell people you are a SAHSing mom!!! Millions of kids can't just leave school or have parents who can just leave work and most places know they have to accodate that at least slightly to stay in business. You do not owe anyone an explanation of your schedule. A simple, "my schedule can't accommodate that time, can we do X day in the afternoon?" Is enough.

I never tell the scheduler we home school. 90% of the time they do have more flexible openings.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question of the day: how do you keep appointments from taking over your life?

I read all the time where other ladies just don't schedule apps until after school hours. I get that. I really do. I agree with it. But....I have five kids, and someone always need something and apps are rarely available after school.

Last week my 10yo had to have a tooth pulled unexpectedly. That meant two dentist apps during school hours in the week. My 8yo has counseling and speech therapy every week, only available during school hours. This week my younger three had to go in for further testing after a fungus started eating away their toenails and fingernails. I could have waited and gotten an appt after school, but that would take a while and well, a fungus was eating their nails. Yesterday my 2yo threw a toothbrush down the bathroom sink drain.

Regardless of the specific situation, something always pops up. I try my best, to keep life out of our school hours, but life doesn't always comply.

How do you manage the inevitable interruptions?

I do my best to keep appointments out of our school day, but it's not always possible. For example, my 10yo is receiving vision therapy right now. My 14yo received it last year. When the 14yo did it, I chose 4:15 as the time slot. That was a nightmare because the location of the eye doctor's office is right in the middle of a group of office complexes (they've labeled this part of town the Tech Center...it's that many offices), and we got out of VT at 5:00...along with everyone else in the city of Denver, I think.:lol: It took us twice as long to get home than it did to drive there. So this time around, I chose Thursday mornings at 9:15. We simply have a different school schedule on Thursday mornings, and my 3rd and 4th graders don't do science or history on those days.

That said, I'll be very glad when he's done with vision therapy, for that reason alone!

Since the bulk of our core subjects are in the morning, whenever I have to make an appointment, I try very hard to get an afternoon appointment. Almost always they ask, "Are mornings or afternoons better for you?" So I tell them afternoons.:D Then if we need to miss history, we miss history.

SOMETIMES it just cannot be helped, and on those days we do what school we can and try not to sweat it.

My kids go to a charter school for homeschoolers on Fridays, so sometimes I will make an appointment on those days, but it's not super often.

My independent kids are still responsible for their schoolwork on days we have appointments. The only thing appointments affect are the "mom intensive" subjects.

Also, don't tell people you are a SAHSing mom!!! Millions of kids can't just leave school or have parents who can just leave work and most places know they have to accodate that at least slightly to stay in business. You do not owe anyone an explanation of your schedule. A simple, "my schedule can't accommodate that time, can we do X day in the afternoon?" Is enough.

I never tell the scheduler we home school. 90% of the time they do have more flexible openings.

I wish it was this easy. In our small community, everyone knows we homeschool. We are the only ones AND my dh is rather high profile in the community. We are far from anonymous. :tongue_smilie: the other issue is that most places don't have more flexible openings. We live very rurally where businesses close at 5:00 and aren't open on the weekends. It was quite a culture shock when we moved here. My saving grace is that I can be to town in undere 5 min and drop my oldest at their apps.

Also, I try to lump appointments as much as possible. Usually docs will accommodate, even if it means scheduling way out several weeks. If I can get all six kids at the dentist at once (for example), then yahoo!

ETA: My 9yo requires several hours of therapy a couple times each week. My kids are old enough that I can leave them home with their assignment lists, and for the most part they will get some schooling done on their own. I take my 6yo with me and we do his schooling in the waiting room.

I block schedule too. We all go to the dentist at the same time; the kids gets haircuts at the same time.

Some day my youngers won't need to be watched, and the olders will be able to stay home and get work done. I think it wil come. Right now life is just crazy.

2. How do you spend quality time with your husband?

-We take advantage of the little moments. We're kind of at the ideal ages for this at the moment. My husband's son is married with his own young family. Our older two girls are just turned 17, and 12 and our younger girls are almost 3 and 2 weeks so we have sports practices (and they are old enough to be left alone there), music lessons, overnights with friends, and of course NAPS!

-We spend quality time together with the kids.

-We share cooking and often cook together (and, yes, with the kids help sometimes too) which is something we both enjoy.

-We communicate well what we need from each other. There is a lot of love there and both of these aspects have carried us through a lot.