Menu

::Families of 7 or more::

Is everyday the same for your family? Are you scheduled or fly by the seat of your pants?

SCHEDULED. Oh dear we'd never get any school done if we didn't have a schedule. Our Thursdays are different because of vision therapy, and on Fridays mine go to a homeschool charter. But if there is school, there is a schedule.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever look at someone's signature line and think, "Wow, they have a lot of kids!". But when you count them up, you realize that they have the same amount as you? Happens to me all the time. LOL
I read a signature or see a large family and think, "Wow, I wish I had 6, 7, 8 kids!" It takes me by surprise to realize I'm where I am with the dc I have. I think facing loss after loss and being told I wouldn't have more dc after #4 still has me "stuck" there mentally, if that makes sense.

Anyone want to chat about random issues? I will start:D

What are your favorite board/card games? My kids like to play crazy 8's. We even have a Habba cat version for the little kids. They like Risk a lot, as well. I just picked up rummikub for .50 at the thrift store. So we will give that a try soon.

We love Rummikub, but we have 2 sets. That way we can all play one big game together :)

Yes! I have also seen a large family walking and thought how big their family was, only to find that our family is the exact same size.

Yes! It's the funniest feeling. Twice I've seen families who mirror our family in size and age. Both times I looked and thought, "Wow. That's a busy family." Then I looked, counted, and realized. :lol: They are just as busy as us. No wonder I get comments and looks from others - I do it to other people too!

We do lots of soups. Love the crockpot. . .and the electric fry pan. Would die without these appliances.

;)

What do you do with your electric fry pan? I have a really nice one my mom gave me. I want to love it, but I have no idea what to do with it.

Edited by jcgonczi

We have in the past been so scheduled I was neurotic and passing that down to my kids!

So now, I am planned but not possessive, if that makes sense? I know we do Math first, and laundry on certain days, that dinner has to be out and defrosting so I can prep by a certain time etc. But no longer do I twitch and get all bent out of shape due to circumstances.

This has been a huge growing area for me and our family.

Electric fry pan, now I know it says not to deep fry in it, but I do! I do fried chicken thighs in it with butter flavored Crisco!!

I also make hamburgers or Salisbury steak in it, cause I stack on the edges to get the amount needed for our family.

So funny about seeing others as large and then realizing we are too...that has got to be one of the wild things my brain does way to often. I then ponder the whys and oh wells! lol

What do you do with your electric fry pan? I have a really nice one my mom gave me. I want to love it, but I have no idea what to do with it.

Anything you would do in a regular fry pan. . .only you can keep it on "warm" mode till you need to use it. It also helps that its so much BIGGER than a skillet. I can brown things all at once instead of having to do it in batches. Saves so. much. time.

Oh and we're SCHEDULE people. When I have newborns its more of a routine, but as soon as its possible. . .we get that schedule going, or I'd have a nervouse meltdown and not get anything done.:tongue_smilie:

yes yes yes to the spoons, I buy them all the time, because the kid scrap out the end of their cereal in the morning and bam....drop the spoon in garbage.....never to be seen again!

We gave up on sets. I buy cafeteria packs at Sam's. Plain cheap silverware that allows me to just do the one utensil I need.

Do you ever look at someone's signature line and think, "Wow, they have a lot of kids!". But when you count them up, you realize that they have the same amount as you? Happens to me all the time. LOL

Sometimes. I count silently though... others count us out loud.

Randomly

~We love Trivial Pursuit, Risk and Uno for the youngers.

~I just buy handfuls of silverware and bowls at Goodwill. Matching is not an issue, clean is. We have no dishwasher so just 9 spoons won't cut it.

~We aren't scheduled but we do have routines. Sort of a compromise between OCD dh and fly-by-the-seat-of my pants me.

~I think other families look bigger and then realize ours is too

~I'm not quite as bad now that mine are older but I used to obsessively count heads at the pool, beach, amusement park, etc. Anybody else a "head counter"?

I was just thinking about this this morning. Wondering how other families with 5 kids do snack time.

I hate it, mainly! Nobody likes the same thing, or they always want more whatever. I have to watch it like a hawk or stuff gets eaten that is supposed to be for later or a meal or for someone else. And we don't really buy prepared food at all except corn chips so I can't just give crackers or something. I don't know, but it seems like such a pain, but they're so used to it, I don't know how to get around it.

Any good ideas?

as for breakfast, we eat oatmeal. Every. single. morning. except sat we have special something.

laundry - 2 loads a day keeps us up.

games: uno and scrabble for the olders.

One of my favorite things is read aloud in the evening. Everyone gets out art supplies and draws or colors or plays with clay while I read. I really like that time.

Randomly

~We love Trivial Pursuit, Risk and Uno for the youngers.

~I just buy handfuls of silverware and bowls at Goodwill. Matching is not an issue, clean is. We have no dishwasher so just 9 spoons won't cut it.

~We aren't scheduled but we do have routines. Sort of a compromise between OCD dh and fly-by-the-seat-of my pants me.

~I think other families look bigger and then realize ours is too

~I'm not quite as bad now that mine are older but I used to obsessively count heads at the pool, beach, amusement park, etc. Anybody else a "head counter"?

LOL, yes, and sometimes I panic because I count and think one's missing, and then I remember that my oldest is grown up & married :lol:

I was just thinking about this this morning. Wondering how other families with 5 kids do snack time.

I hate it, mainly! Nobody likes the same thing, or they always want more whatever. I have to watch it like a hawk or stuff gets eaten that is supposed to be for later or a meal or for someone else. And we don't really buy prepared food at all except corn chips so I can't just give crackers or something. I don't know, but it seems like such a pain, but they're so used to it, I don't know how to get around it.

Any good ideas?

as for breakfast, we eat oatmeal. Every. single. morning. except sat we have special something.

laundry - 2 loads a day keeps us up.

games: uno and scrabble for the olders.

One of my favorite things is read aloud in the evening. Everyone gets out art supplies and draws or colors or plays with clay while I read. I really like that time.

We didn't/don't. Just too much hassle. I did however always keep a huge bag of carrots in the fridge that they were free to eat whenever.

rummikub is rock awesome!!! I am going to watch for more sets at the thrift store. My 9yo has delays and games are often frustrating. Great way for him to get more number exposure.

We no longer have snack time. I do 4 meals instead. Plus, I make sure there are some leftovers. If someone wants an apple then I cut up a few for everyone, get out the peanut butter, giant container of animal crackers from Costco, bread, jelly, carrot sticks, pickles...my kids love pickles.

Today I used the electric griddle (my mom bought the biggest one a few months ago) and made quesadillas. Only one kid asked for them. But, I made 8 with each using a large tortilla, retried beans, cilantro, green onion, salsa verde, and cheese. That should get them through till dinner. Sometimes I make enough that we don't really do dinner. But, I can do that because dh isn't here;). I hate trying to get the kitchen cleaned after dinner so I try to make breakfast or lunch bigger.

I don't like to keep snacks stuff around because my oldest will just eat granola bars and chips:tongue_smilie: I do buy the animal crackers at Costco. Plus, bananas and apples. I try to bake a few times a week. Oatmeal cookies, peach crisp, muffins etc.

I have sectioned plates that we use sometimes to put a variety of food and leftovers on. Kids think it is fun. Muffin tins and ice cube trays are good, too.

I have to watch it like a hawk or stuff gets eaten that is supposed to be for later or a meal or for someone else.

Anything I buy that I have a specific purpose for and don't want anyone to eat I put in a special bin that is labeled "DO NOT EAT". Then I put the bin on as high of a shelf as possible to keep it out of easy eyesight. :001_smile:

Head counter here! We are constantly counting heads. I usually have all of the kids with me, so if there is a change for some reason (DH takes one or two), I constantly feel like I have lost one of them!

We do snack time...hard boiled eggs, peanut butter crackers, fruit, smoothies.

I admit I do snack time for the reason...

that they don't eat as much at dinner :001_huh:

I know it is horrible,

but we have yogurt (I buy big containers) with a fruit about 3:30pm and I like the time together before making dinner and all. Very different conversations, because once we are done cleaning snack up, they are free to play on puters, go outside, and whatever....

while I make dinner.

Head counter here! We are constantly counting heads. I usually have all of the kids with me, so if there is a change for some reason (DH takes one or two), I constantly feel like I have lost one of them!

This is me too. It's rare that I don't have all my (second batch) dc with me. I often have my dgd too. I have bee known to pull over to the side of the road and count if I forgot to do it before we left!

I hate snacks too. I cut out the morning snack a long time ago, but still do afternoon snacks. Usually in.the beginning of the week, we have fruit and almonds or smoothies. About mid week when all the food is gone, we are reduced to dry cereal or popcorn.

I have loved reading through the responses.

* Serving dinner: we use our dining room table; we realized we were way too scrunched in the kitchen and there the dining room table sat for "special occasions!" Usually conventional passing of serving bowls unless it's chili or soup that needs to be dished out.

*Chores: I delegate entire areas rather than assign single chores. One is in charge of the pool, another cleaning floors, another trash and recycling, etc. I lost my laundry helper to college. :tongue_smilie: About to reshuffle and retrain.

*Scheduled? No, but we have a routine. Routine has definitely been a friend. But I'm not really a Type-A scheduler.

*Snacks: The olders now help the youngers. In the past, we've said, fruit in the morning, salty/homemade snack in the afternoon. As my kids have grown, I've had to bake more just to fill them up!

Lisa

Games: LOVE the quiet game~ we also like sequence and alot of Cadoo games.

Meals: I dish, we pray and then they all come and get their plates.

Laundry-I only had 3 kids home today so I did about 9 loads. Its NEVER ENDING here. I also have 2 in cloth diapers. That adds to the load.

:D I am another obsessive headcounter.If we are with another family I count their children as well, seperately.:tongue_smilie:

I totally do this too. It really annoys my friend when I say "WHere is (one of her kids)!?!

We don't do snack unless some weird extenuating circumstance or are out of the house for the day, then I pack a snack to save on eating out. In the afternoon if someone is dying they can have a banana. It has always been this way so no one really knows any different.

We got a new game this week, Whoonu by cranium, truly a game that can be played by a big family all together. It says up to 6 on the box, but we have been playing with 8 and it works out just fine. It is the first game I can get all of the kids to play together (I had a thread a while ago about how no one will play games together). We also like pictionary, charades and ghost in the graveyard. Yahtzee is popular with some of them.

I dont' pair olders and youngers up. I watched that happen on the Duggars and really didn't like that idea. I will say "Hey X, can you help so and so" but it isn't anyone's job but mine to make sure everyone is taken care of. However, we do have partners if we go some place crazy busy, like the fair.

We clean up areas and rotate. For example my oldest son has dishes on Mon and Thur, kitchen on Tues and Fri, and laundry on Wed and Sat. The two oldest girls also rotate the same chores so that it is always someones dishes day, or kitchen day, or laundry day. The next oldest cleans the bathroom twice a week, the mudroom twice a week and dusts twice a week. She is younger, so she does what she can in these rooms and I pick up the slack. The next one just works on little projects I give her when everyone else is doing their chores, like dust between the stairway uprights or straighten bookshelves. The littlest one just wanders around making messes in the clean rooms. Sometimes I will put him in the playpen even though he is two just so the rest of us can get something done. In the evening I will say "Pick a room" and everyone scrambles to pick a room to tidy up. That is just tidying, putting things away (mostly the littles stuff) I do all floors, laundry folding (its like a zen exercise)cooking, over seeing and organizing. They also have outside chores. Oldest boy waters stock and mows, middle girls let chickens out and gather eggs, everyone helps during garden season, I feed the hogs and do the milking in the am, dh does it in the evening.

I have a list of paying chores with corresponding amounts, so cleaning out from under the couches (it is AMAZING the amount of toys and dust that accumulates under there) has a price, cleaning the van, washing cabinet fronts, windexing windows, cobwebs and anything else they can come up with. Usually any job they can come up with when they want extra money I'll assign a value to and let them do it. We do this in place of an allowance and paying jobs cannot be done until regular chores are done.

Wow, reading this you would think I have a clean house, but it still seems like it is a mess sometimes.

Having number 5 has really got me frazzled when we go out. I have older ones now. I usually have at least one older with me. I get two carts at the store unless they have a fun cart. My 9yo loves when we go to Target because he can sit in the big cart with the other two. My 12yo pushed them around last time and thought it was fun:lol: We buddy up in public. But, I never let my two younger kids down. They go in a cart or the Ergo.

My kids don't complain about snack time. There is usually something if they need it. I just do the 4 meals so it isn't often they are hungry. We eat a lot of fiber foods and I think that helps.

What about clean up for meals? Do you rotate chores or keep them the same for a while?

Do you have an extra fridge or freezer? How often do you shop?

We all work together to get meal clean up done. Clear off the table, a couple of kids load the dishwasher, a couple of more sweep etc.

We have deep chest freezer and we shop once a month for staple items. Every other week for milk and produce etc.

We are scheduled around here.

okay, big wonder here? with bigs taking care of the littles...

talk to me how and what you do.

we do too, but not official, but would love to hear how it works in your family

My older kids are responsible for making lunch for the littles when making lunch for themselves. They also fill the baby's sippy cup now and then. Once in a blue moon, I'll ask them to change a wet diaper. And they are to keep an eye on the 5yo outside.

Oh, and they are expected to pull the baby down from whatever he's climbed up if they're closer, lol.

I am also an obsessive head counter, which backfires a lot when I forget how many kids I'm supposed to have in my possession at the time!

Anything else is of their own choosing, like reading to them or playing together.

We do snack time. . .but I just pick one thing. . .if you like it, eat it. If you don't, wait till dinner.:D

For groceries, I do twin in the double stroller with one big kid pushing. One cart (with 2 year old in seat) with other big kid pushing. I hold the hand of my very energetic all boy 4 year old. I used to go grocery shopping every other week, but there's just no way now. The chaos that ensues upon our arrival at home would be too much.:glare:

:D I am another obsessive headcounter.If we are with another family I count their children as well, seperately.:tongue_smilie:

Yes and yes!!

well, it's nice to hear that some of you don't do snacks. Do your kids just accept it? or is there whining about dying of hunger and if so, how do you handle it? I'm feeling like such a meanie for even considering it...

There is no way we could get through our days without snacks. We could possibly skip the morning snack, but it's such a great break from intense periods of school. My youngers have always snacked as part of their daily calorie count. They just don't eat huge enough meals. Our snacks:

Easy no-mess, help yourself snacks:

• fruit -- apples and bananas always available; everything else in season
  • yogurt
  • snack mix served in baggies or small cups (whatever's on hand: cereal, pretzels, raisins, craisins, cho chips, peanuts
  • baked goods -- cookies, brownies, fresh bread, soft pretzels, muffins
  • granola bars (homemade or boxed)
  • string cheese

Snacks that need help from an older:

• smoothies
  • vegies and dressing
  • yogurt parfaits
  • popcorn
  • cheese and crackers

We do fruit, yogurt, or applesauce for morning snack, then they get one item out of our snack bin in the pantry for afternoon snack. All the prepackaged things get dumped out of their boxes into that.

I also headcount, ours plus other children. Many moments of panic have taught me to figure out how many I should have before I count. Like - stepdaughter ( at friend's), - baby (with husband), + friends' son, + neighbor boy = 9. Then I count by twos or threes. You know you've got a lot of kids when you start counting by 3s!!

We should play games more, but it's so overwhelming with so many competitive boys that we don't very often. They do active games and video games together.

My olders help out with the littles, but it's nothing "official." The only time it is is when we are on schedule. #2-5 have a time slot where they are responsible for the littles (#1 has too much school to do, and he babysits for me a lot anyway) during our school day. But as far as a certain kid ALWAYS being paired up with another kid like the Duggars...we don't do that.

We do fruit, yogurt, or applesauce for morning snack, then they get one item out of our snack bin in the pantry for afternoon snack. All the prepackaged things get dumped out of their boxes into that.

I also headcount, ours plus other children. Many moments of panic have taught me to figure out how many I should have before I count. Like - stepdaughter ( at friend's), - baby (with husband), + friends' son, + neighbor boy = 9. Then I count by twos or threes. You know you've got a lot of kids when you start counting by 3s!!

We should play games more, but it's so overwhelming with so many competitive boys that we don't very often. They do active games and video games together.

I count heads as well--I got left behind once at a fast-food restaurant when I was 9 years old, and no-one realized I was missing for an hour. Probably because we were with my aunt and cousins--there were 2 moms with 11 kids between them in two vehicles. But I have no intention of making that mistake myself!

Neat thread!

We're a family of seven. The oldest child just turned eight.

We don't have set snack times. If the kids say they're hungry and we didn't just eat and it's not close to a meal they get a snack.

We eat at our kitchen/dining table. We only have one table so it's that or the floor!

i get groceries by myself. If DH is away I hire a babysitter. One week's groceries is a huge cart full, even with buying some things in bulk. We have a big deep freezer and large walk in pantry.

I count heads. With the baby in a backpack carrier it's a simple two+two count.

The older two do help out but are never 'assigned' another child with a few very rare exceptions. Once one of the younger ones got hurt and while we were in the emergency room the two older ones were each assigned one of the other younger ones to play with and keep track of. On a daily basis it's more of the occasional 'can you get a cup of milk for so and so while you're getting it for yourself'.

--------------------------------------

What kind of vehicle does everyone drive?

We're in a minivan and it's getting cramped.

We are back in a minivan again. I want a full size so we have more room. Plus, it just feels safer.

I have totally been looking for someone and either I have their hand or they are at home.

Anyone else talk to themselves a lot now. I find myself talking away to myself and the little kids while we shop. I didn't realize it till recently.

Raise your hand if you are secretly eavesdropping on this thread because you are a large-family-loving wannabe-mega-mom to only a smallish brood.

:hurray::thumbup:

You large family moms are awesome!

this made me smile so big...as a mom (thru foster to adopt) who always wanted a big family, I did the same for years and years and just kinda dawned on me, holey moley, I am one now...lol:D

Along the lines of head counting, has anyone else called about frantically for the one little child you cannot find........

only to have someone point out that you are holding their hand?

:lol::lol::lol: I have done that several times!

Raise your hand if you are secretly eavesdropping on this thread because you are a large-family-loving wannabe-mega-mom to only a smallish brood.

:hurray::thumbup:

You large family moms are awesome!

:thumbup:

My paternal grandparents has 9 kids though so I was blessed with more than 30 cousins, more than 30 nieces and nephews (from my cousins) and more than 10 grand nieces and nephews now.

We did play together often and our favorites are the Aladdin cards games.

It has been fun reading the random comments and questions on here!

We have a large van with 11 seats and use it mostly for church and church activities.

We live far enough away from the next town, to justify a mini van for grocery shopping. I shop weekly for some things and sometimes skip a week if dh can stop on the way home. That has been a struggle lately as I take the baby and she gets so cranky.

I have fluctuated on laundry and am purging now a huge basement full.

I have endometriosis and had a very rough year and then a very rough pregnancy after surgery last August. So, needless to say it got out of control.

We are just now getting into a better routine after baby born in June.

But I feel blessed to have older kids that can cook simple meals and help with cleaning up.

We try to raise a garden to eat out of and preserve some foods.

Our Mud room has a 2nd fridge, a medium chest freezer, and an upright freezer.

We love Apples to Apples Bible edition and Jr. The Wii is hard to manage and I use it for PE too on days I am sick, or weather is bad.

I also use more dvd and cd rom helpers for home schooling. I just don't have the time or energy right now and am fully nursing as usual.

We are striving to read aloud at least 10 chapter books and are usually alternating for the varied age groups.

We have the bookmobile come to our house and that is a highlight for our young children. They pick out books and audio books. Now we also get to check out movies.

We don't have netflix anymore or SKY ANGEL: I miss Sky Angel

My random questions are :bigear:

1. What are some movie recommendations for family night?

and

2. How do you spend quality time with your husband?

1. What are some movie recommendations for family night?
This year we are watching musicals and loving it! Last year we watched Jane Austen movies; even my then-2yod stayed up for the 6-hour Pride and Prejudice, then asked to watch it again the next day (she liked the "pwetty dwesses". That girl sat through another showing of it! :)

We love movies such as "Seven Alone", "Where the Red Fern Grows" and others like that.

I have found the classics (old b&w) are a good choice for family movies. We love them!

The original cheaper by the dozen, Harvey (anything with Jimmy Stewart! )The robe, Quiet Man for an example. The old winners of Oscars, in 40s and 50s is a good starting place. After that, egads, Hollywood and I separate!

♥♥♥

Time with hubby, that is why our kids go to bed early!

1. Seriously, I will put the littles to bed with a hug and kiss, the bigs go to their room with books to read, and hubby drives to get milkshake or we have yogurt and just snuggle on couch, with nice music on and babble!

WE listened to Brian Regan, or other Comedians (clean) and laugh. Sometimes we listen to Bill O'Reily's commentary. We don't have a TV, so we listen on Hubby's laptop. It is great conversation starters too.

2. We also have started getting up at 5:15am to walk 3 miles together in the morning before ANYONE is up!

These two things make me smile thinking of them, and have so strengthened our marriage!

♥♥♥

My boys all really liked some of the new Christian movies that are out, even though they said they were cheesy and low budget. They liked Encounter a lot which is on Netflix.

Fiddler on the Roof

Anne of Green Gables

Dh and I like to go out to eat without children.

Edited by Hausunterricht

• 2 weeks later...

Question of the day: how do you keep appointments from taking over your life?

I read all the time where other ladies just don't schedule apps until after school hours. I get that. I really do. I agree with it. But....I have five kids, and someone always need something and apps are rarely available after school.

Last week my 10yo had to have a tooth pulled unexpectedly. That meant two dentist apps during school hours in the week. My 8yo has counseling and speech therapy every week, only available during school hours. This week my younger three had to go in for further testing after a fungus started eating away their toenails and fingernails. I could have waited and gotten an appt after school, but that would take a while and well, a fungus was eating their nails. Yesterday my 2yo threw a toothbrush down the bathroom sink drain.

Regardless of the specific situation, something always pops up. I try my best, to keep life out of our school hours, but life doesn't always comply.

How do you manage the inevitable interruptions?