Menu

Easy Grammar, GWG or?

mumkins

I have no experience with Easy Grammar. We used GWG, FLL, MCT, and I bought R&S but realized it wasn't a fit before we tried it. After all that, we are returning to GWG. It was quick, painless, effective, enough review without unnecessary busy work. All around, it just *worked* for us. One of the best things for us is that it returns to previous subjects but the review isn't overkill--just enough to concepts are kept fresh.

Another happy GWG user. It's nothing special, but it works. My 8th grader has been using it since it came out and he is solid on grammar. Like others have said, there's just the right amount of review, and I rarely need to do anything (although I was more involved when they were younger).

Which of your kids are you looking for grammar for? I would suggest Hake for your 11 year old (it's also known as Saxon Grammar and Writing). Your 11 year old should be able to complete it mostly independently.

If you are looking for something independent for your 8 and 6 year olds, honestly, I would recommend you just skip it until either you can use a curriculum that you teach them or they are old enough to do Hake (it starts in 5th grade).

I used GWG with my son for a while. I do not have a high opinion of it. I have found that the concepts are not thoroughly taught. The explanations are extremely brief, and then the practice exercises are pretty much exact clones of the sample sentences. I found that my son did not have to actually understand the concept, he just had to recognize the pattern. This did not translate to knowing the concept or being able to transfer the concept to a different format. Also, I found the sentences to be very much the "created for a grammar text" types of sentences (my son called them dorky). As opposed to FLL, Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons (which I used with dd in 2nd grade), and Hake, they don't serve any further purpose than illustrating the grammar concept. FLL, Sheldon's PLL, and Hake use sentences that are either from literature/poetry or teach the student something about the subject at hand (for example, in Hake 5, dd is learning about American geography).

If you have time, I'd use FLL with your younger two. For your older child, there are numerous free vintage grammar texts online (most would require your teaching) or, as mentioned, the child could probably do Hake independently (my 10 year old dd does).

My opinion on grammar is that it's not a subject you skimp on or find the easiest/cheapest/quickest curriculum so that you can just check it off your list. It requires in-depth instruction to be mastered. I was an editor in my pre-kid life, and I found that many people who thought they understood grammar/wrote well didn't.

I would rather not do grammar at all with young kids than pick "just something" so that you can say the kids are doing it.

Tara

I used GWG with my son for a while. I do not have a high opinion of it. I have found that the concepts are not thoroughly taught. The explanations are extremely brief, and then the practice exercises are pretty much exact clones of the sample sentences. I found that my son did not have to actually understand the concept, he just had to recognize the pattern. This did not translate to knowing the concept or being able to transfer the concept to a different format. Also, I found the sentences to be very much the "created for a grammar text" types of sentences (my son called them dorky).

I agree with this 100%. I was completely unimpressed with GWG, and this summarizes my feelings exactly.

I'm leaning towards GWG at this point I think.

Have you tried their spelling?

we use both GWG and SWS and LOVE both of them. I looked at a different spellling and my kids all told me I better not switch...and after looking at other spelling programs, I decided that I really like SWS too.

GWG is great....easy, orderly, good review. I will use both of these to the end.

Just to throw out another suggestion: Climbing to Good English. It is an Amish workbook and very efficient and effective.

:iagree::iagree: It's also inexpensive! ;)

A previous poster said GWG has patterns and I agree! My DS caught onto the patterns quickly.

I'm looking for grammar for my oldest two. I don't want to teach grammar til 3rd grade.

I do agree grammar is important. I just don't want it to be the main part of our school day. I'll look at Hake. Not sure I like the looks of climbing to good English, though I have and love their readers.

TBH, I have no idea what a prepositional phrase is. I learned what an adjective is not too long ago. I have never diagrammed a sentence prior to teaching R&S. I am totally intimidated by grammar curriculum. Yet, I had high 80's in high school English. I guess I can't be doing too bad. But I don't really get the point of knowing most of the stuff they teach. Or perhaps, because I know it without thinking about it now, it seems odd. Does it really have to be such an over whelming and intense subject? I'm mathy. I love math. English? Not so much...