Menu

Which is the best classical curriculum?

lea1

Memoria Press is more "latin centered curriculum" and minimalist, I believe.

Kolbe is classical - but it is lesson plans, rather than actual curricula. It's an actual "academy" with teachers and lesson plans, using other publishers for recommended texts.

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a boxed curriculum that follows, even closely, TWTM recs. "Classical" education varies widely as it is.

Memoria Press is more "latin centered curriculum" and minimalist, I believe.

Kolbe is classical - but it is lesson plans, rather than actual curricula. It's an actual "academy" with teachers and lesson plans, using other publishers for recommended texts.

I'm not sure there is any such thing as a boxed curriculum that follows, even closely, TWTM recs. "Classical" education varies widely as it is.

Thanks. I have been looking over the MP site today and had seen they were LCC. I have never heard of Kolbe. I'll have to check that one out.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else? :bigear:

Thanks. I have been looking over the MP site today and had seen they were LCC. I have never heard of Kolbe. I'll have to check that one out.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else? :bigear:

Kolbe is a Catholic classical homeschool academy, but many people use them without the religion component (as with many Catholic schools, they use mostly secular materials but for their religion specific courses). You are free to replace certain aspects of their curriculum with your own choices (but you will not, of course, get a lesson plan if you do that) and they will still offer transcript services. I believe the exception to this is high school - I *think* that theology is a required credit for their diploma programs.

Kolbe is a Catholic classical homeschool academy, but many people use them without the religion component (as with many Catholic schools, they use mostly secular materials but for their religion specific courses). You are free to replace certain aspects of their curriculum with your own choices (but you will not, of course, get a lesson plan if you do that) and they will still offer transcript services. I believe the exception to this is high school - I *think* that theology is a required credit for their diploma programs.

Thanks for the information!

Is something like easyclassical.com what you are looking for?

Thanks. I have seen easyclassical.com before but have not looked at it in a while. I'll take another look.

I don't know that I am really looking to make any big changes. I was just looking over MP's offerings and it made me wonder what The Hive thought about the various classical curriculum companies so I thought I would ask. I think I will be adding Prima Latina for 2nd grade and may also add some of MP's literature guide studies but I will look around before I decide.

We will finish up 1st grade around the end of the year so I am already planning for 2nd grade, as things get very busy as the year progresses.

I have never found an 'all in one' that suits. That is what I love about TWTM, it helps me know what I am looking for, so I can evaluate individual curriculum as to how it best fits my children's needs.

No, I haven't either...but, every once in a while, I get a bee in my bonnet and start thinking there might be one out there that would be better than what I am already doing.

After looking through MP and VP, I have reaffirmed our current path. I will be adding MP's Prima Latina and possibly some of their lit study guides for 2nd grade, starting in January.