Menu

I can't believe I am doing this, Apologia Science

It looks like we most likely wont be using BJU as planned and now I am left with trying to find science for my 7th-12th graders. I can't afford Spectrum or Rainbow this year and really need/want something a bit easier for this non-science mom to teach. What else is out there besides Apologia?

Would using Apolgia courses with the advanced courses really be enough? After all my posts @ not liking Apologia, here I am considering it. :blushing:

Apologia is the possibility of doing it through The Potter's School online. I have actually never used them before, but I've thought about it many, many times. I've read on these boards that some have done Apologia Science through The Potter's School and have been very pleased. I remember one mom saying that when her daughter did chemistry through TPS, she did about three hours' worth of chemistry per day! I'm not sure if their labs are beefed up from Apologia's labs in the text, but from what I've read the tests and some other aspects of the course were more difficult.

We never did TPS because I didn't feel like we could keep up with their schedule. My oldest two girls will probably not go into a math or science-related field. My oldest actually enjoys reading quite a bit about science on her own, particularly marine biology, but where she is math-wise right now, her math skills would not be strong enough for her to pursue a career in that field. (Perhaps that will change!) From my perspective, Apologia was fairly rigorous, but I grew up in the 70's, when just about "anything goes" was the educational standard of the day (or, at least in our school district). I understand completely your concerns about the rigor or lack thereof associated with Apologia. I do think their labs could be better. We ended up doing about 15 labs; the private high school we're looking at enrolling our oldest dd in did about 40 labs! That was with lab partners, however, so that probably made it easier on the kids. Dd had to do her labs alone, or with me (occasionally) as lab partner. When I looked at the text this h.s. was using, it had more chapters, but as the teacher pointed out the actual material they covered, I felt like we were pretty much on track.

I have heard and read that BJU is more rigorous, and I believe it. If you're going to do Apologia, though, you might consider TPS; that might "beef up" what you're trying to do, especially if you have a science-minded child. Also, one poster suggested doing Biology/Advanced Biology in one year, Chemistry/Advanced Chemistry the next year, and Physics/Advanced Physics the following year. Whew! If someone could keep up that pace, more power to them!

I hope my rambling thoughts will help you sort things through.

and my kids were very well prepared for college level science. At one point, I had contacted Dr. Wile and had been informed that the Apologia courses could be considered honors level. Judging from my son's experience with college biology after using it, I would say that's true. He breezed through college biology. Hope this helps.

Jean,

You could supplement Apologia courses with The Teaching Company or Annenburg series. The biology book could be supplemented with one of those anatomy drawing books. I'm not a big fan of Apologia even though I have used their biology and parts of their physics book. I will say this. I do think that the physics book is very challenging. I haven't used the chemistry so I can't comment on that. I'm sure that the physics book isn't quite as mathy as Saxon physics book, but the student definitely has plenty of problems to do and needs a trig background (which my ds did not have).

Otherwise, I sugget using the Conceptual Chemistry and Physics books when you get to those subjects. You can usually find them used at good prices.

HTH,

Jan P.

I'm planning on adding some study guides when we do the advanced courses, because we won't be doing both in one year. I do want to be sure dd can pass a SAT II test (and some colleges require it, especially one we're looking at). There are plenty out there, but SparkNotes is free.

If I were you, Jean, I'd group as many of your kids together as possible, so they can work together. I'd also assign something extra every 6 weeks or so (some kind of research or project). That's the beauty of Apologia - there is time to add to it, if you wish. With BJU, you have to choose things to skip.

Jean,

We've used Apologia and, despite the hits it sometimes takes, I really like it. I like teaching it and find it very manageable at home. Sometimes, too, in a large family, I think we have to pick where we as moms want to put our time and effort. I know I just could not do teacher intensive programs on umpteen different levels for umpteen different subjects. May look ideal on paper, but not at all practical.

If you have really science-minded kids that you feel need more than Apologia offers, what about a science fair project? Or some kind of outside science classes (our museums and parks offer many free classes). That's a great way to explore an area in depth and learn the scientific process, documentation and presentation. Pray about finding a science-minded professional or friend or fellow church member that might mentor your child through the process.

Blessings,

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa for the prayers. My 10th grader is interested in med school so I am worried @ his science. I think at this point we will aim for Apologia chem in 10th, Adv chem or Adv Biology in 11th and and the physics in 12th. If I add some TC lectures into it, that might work well. He is going to look into volunteering at the hospital next year and that might help round things up for him.

Veronica,I will check out the Kolbe.org link, too.

Jean,

How about the DIVE into Science cd's? I think they use BJU texts?

OR

Have you thought of completing both Apologia courses in one year (or at least at an accelerated pace)? I may be wrong, but would the amount of time spent doing the extra reading in Apologia, be any more than reading AND listening to a lecture with BJU?

Susan

Jean,

Have you thought of completing both Apologia courses in one year (or at least at an accelerated pace)? I may be wrong, but would the amount of time spent doing the extra reading in Apologia, be any more than reading AND listening to a lecture with BJU?

Susan

I bet time wise it would work out the same. I need to think on it, but that might be a good solution for him.

I haven't read your other threads about Apologia, so I don't know what your concerns are, but I wanted to let you know that my VERY science minded son loved Apologia. When he started college he was AHEAD of the teacher (I kid you not), and he has maintained a 4.0 over the last 2 years while taking tough classes, and majoring in Engineering. I truly believe that Apologia did a great job at preparing him for his college education. I hope this helps any reservations you may have. :)

I haven't read your other threads about Apologia, so I don't know what your concerns are, but I wanted to let you know that my VERY science minded son loved Apologia. When he started college he was AHEAD of the teacher (I kid you not), and he has maintained a 4.0 over the last 2 years while taking tough classes, and majoring in Engineering. I truly believe that Apologia did a great job at preparing him for his college education. I hope this helps any reservations you may have. :)

Susie,

Did he do any of the advanced courses, or just the regular?

Heather

He did Advanced Physics.

Also he usually did 1 and 1/2 courses per year with no stress.

Thanks! My oldest dd wants to me a Zoologist, so it is good to hear that Apologia is enough. She really wants to do the Marine Biology, so I am sure we will squeeze that one in. The rest will just depend on how hard she wants to work.

Heather

My 10th grader is interested in med school so I am worried @ his science.

This is slightly off-topic, but your remark made me want to comment.

My brother decided to become a doctor 10 years after high school (he held a masters in sociology, but I wouldn't say that those studies counted / helped).

He' now in his second year of residency. (or, I think he's starting his 3rd)

I guess I only say this because we, as homeschooling parents, tend to get all wrapped up in what we teach our kids and when. . .but really, if we have taught our children *how* to learn, then the will succeed in whatever they attempt to achieve (whenever they may come to that conclusion).

I guess I only say this because we, as homeschooling parents, tend to get all wrapped up in what we teach our kids and when. . .but really, if we have taught our children *how* to learn, then the will succeed in whatever they attempt to achieve (whenever they may come to that conclusion).

So true! I tend to over-think things and worry myself sick that I am messing them up some how.

He did Advanced Physics.

Also he usually did 1 and 1/2 courses per year with no stress.

I do think we will try to do atleast 1-2 of the advanced courses. If he plans on med school, I am thinking we should at the minimum do the Adv Biology? Or would the chemistry be better?

I do think we will try to do atleast 1-2 of the advanced courses. If he plans on med school, I am thinking we should at the minimum do the Adv Biology? Or would the chemistry be better?

I'm thinking that since it covers "anatomy and the physiology of the human body’s 11 organ systems" Advanced Biology is pretty important here. Now I do feel that if he is able to squeeze in chem that would be great too!

Since med students take biology and chemistry related courses in med school, I'd suggest you do the advanced course in whatever your child is weaker in. DH thought chemistry was really challenging in undergrad and med school. He probably would have appreciated an extra course in high school to make it that much more doable later.

Holly

If you could possibly squeeze in two (maybe if dc is motivated to work through summers??), the Advanced Biology would give him/her a good foundation in human anatomy and physiology, and the Advanced Chemistry might give him/her a leg up with more difficult chemistry concepts later on.

I believe pre-med. students where I went to school had to, of course, take Calculus, anatomy and physiology, a year of biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and a year of physics. I took a year of anatomy and physiology and found it fascinating, especially the first semester. I had an awesome teacher and an 800+ page book to practically memorize, but it was really cool stuff!