Menu

Please help me calm down

Ds8 is going to an extended school year program this summer. It's only for 2 weeks. My son is required to have a nurse on the bus with him. So, this morning, the bus showed up and told me not to bring him out. Another little girl was not going so they pulled the nurse from the bus. No one called me at all. This past year the nurse has been pulled to go with the other child a handful of times. I made a point during ds's last IEP meeting of mention this fact. This nurse is not the other child's nurse but the nurse for both of them. At the IEP, the rep from the school district agreed with me that the nurse was not to go with the other child when she was sick. So, this morning, I called the nurse agency and the bus company. They both said the school had written in the contract if the other child does not go, then the nurse(and my child) does not go. I put in a call to the spec ed dept but they aren't in for another hour. Please help me calm down and sound like a rational person when they call me. Why would they make a point of agreeing with me about the nurse and then do exactly what I complained about? No one notified me. It takes 1-1.5 hrs to get ds ready for school. We both would still be sleeping if anyone had contacted me. Grrr

Speaking from being on the "other end", keep in mind the person you get on the phone may have NO power over the situation, No part in what did or didn't happen, and no idea about the situation.

Jot down the points you want to make. Be very formally polite but get your questions answered. Get a time frame ("If I don't hear back from them, when should I call back?). Thank people for their help. If you do finally find that there is a person who is screwing up behind all of this, and get no where right off the bat, don't stay on and argue....look for a higher up. If some is reasonable, great, if not, you are not going to convert them....only their boss will.

This is what I do similar situations.

I was very calm when the spec ed person called me back. They opened at 8AM and she called me at 8:05. She didn't understand what was going on either. She told me she would track down the answer and call me back. She called back and found that the nurse on the bus told the bus company that if "Suzy" didn't go then neither did my son. Ummm, no. It IS in his IEP. The nurse is a temp and the driver and aide aren't familiar with our situation. The regular driver and aide would have called the nurse on that mistake right away. We have this problem that the nurses sometimes try to get out of the bus. They only get paid for the transporting hours-not the time in between. Sometimes they try to get out of the bus duty so they can work a full day somewhere else. I totally understand that they want to make more money but that shouldn't affect my son and his ability to get to school. I am assured that this will not happen again. We'll see....

Thanks for the positive thoughts:)

I was very calm when the spec ed person called me back. They opened at 8AM and she called me at 8:05. She didn't understand what was going on either. She told me she would track down the answer and call me back. She called back and found that the nurse on the bus told the bus company that if "Suzy" didn't go then neither did my son. Ummm, no. It IS in his IEP. The nurse is a temp and the driver and aide aren't familiar with our situation. The regular driver and aide would have called the nurse on that mistake right away. We have this problem that the nurses sometimes try to get out of the bus. They only get paid for the transporting hours-not the time in between. Sometimes they try to get out of the bus duty so they can work a full day somewhere else. I totally understand that they want to make more money but that shouldn't affect my son and his ability to get to school. I am assured that this will not happen again. We'll see....

Thanks for the positive thoughts:)

I hope for your sake and your son's that this is actually and finally resolved. How frustrating and disappointing for both of you!

For what it's worth, I don't believe in the "chain of command." I'm not a cop and was never in the military. If I do not get immediate satisfaction, I go straight to the top. I understand that the first person you talk to usually has no control over the problem or the solution -- so I don't want to waste their time or mine.

Works pretty well. :D